PDA

View Full Version : Bore cleaners, cleaning and conditioning

Molly
05-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Robbed this from another web site, and thought it would be a great introduction to the topic.

John Caswell, Townsend Whelen and E. C. Crossman all described Hoppes No.9 in their books. Caswell’s description is as good as any:
Sporting Rifles and Rifle Shooting; John Caswell, 1920, page 83.
“The following is the best ammonia solution I know of:
Ammonia persulphate ...... 100 grains
Ammonia carbonate ........ 50 grains
Ammonia bichromate ....... 10 grains
Stronger ammonia 26% ..... 1 ˝ ounces
Water .................... ˝ ounce
The three chemicals should be powdered thoroughly, the ammonia and water then added and placed in a tightly corked bottle until needed. The above solution should not be kept over 24 hours, as the ammonia gas escapes and the resulting solution will then attack steel and not dissolve the copper readily, although the use of ammonia bichromate partially stops the action on steel.
The best neutralizing agent to remove the traces of ammonia from the bore is soda and water or hot water and soap.
The powder solvent consists of oil mixed with either amyl or acetone, or both, and may be made as follows:
Kerosene oil free from acid. ..... 1 ounce
Refined neatsfoot or Rangoon oil . . 2 ounces
Spirits turpentine ............. 1 ounce
Amyl ........................ 1 ounce
Acetone ...................... 1 ounce
Hoppe's solvent mentioned is practically the same as the above; it is sold at all gun stores ready for use, and is thoroughly reliable.”
Townsend Whelen in the American Rifle 1918, chapter 42, gives a similar description of Hoppe’s No. 9
It seems to me one of the three Crossman books gives a little more detail on the Development of No. 9 solvent. I do remember that in chapter 11 of Small Bore Rifle Shooting, 1927, Crossman wrote there were better products for protecting the rifle bore. I don’t have my books in front of me at the moment but there is quite a bit of information, in small batches scattered around in the writings of the 1920’s and ‘30’s. Harry Pope was one of the first shooters to use strong solutions of ammonia for cleaning metal fouling from a rifles bore, and he lost the use of an eye for his trouble. Pope told several people it was very painful and there was no point in going to a Doctor, the damage had been done.

That said, I've gotta add my two cents worth: I find that #9 residues cause very poor accuracy until it's been shot out - usually 5 or 6 shots. I don't use it any more. Since I only use cast bullets, I generally don't have to worry about jacketed fouling (unless it's in a new purchase), and when I do, I can take it out easily by shooting a few bullets 'lubed' with JB compound. This cleans and polishes the bore, and makes it ready for conditioning with whatever I lube my next bullets with - and that's generally the traditional 50/50 Alox / Beeswax blend.

To protect cleaned bores or after a range session, I generally use a bore mop with a little bit of Alox 350 in a naphtha (lighter fluid) solution. This leaves a bore that doesn't have to be reconditioned every time I go to the range (or go hunting), and provides excellent protection without changing the POI for the first shot.

BTW, if using JB compound gives you the hebbie-jebbies, Brownells sells a solution for dealing with copper contamination in bluing tanks. They don't say so, but it's a fatty acid that chelates every trace of copper with a little time.

No, it will NOT attack the steel. You can spread it on a piece of polished steel and an old penny and leave it as long as you want, even for weeks. When you wash it off, the steel will still be polished, but the penny will be brightened because of copper that was removed by the chelation action. Run a wet bore mop through the barrel to wet it, and follow with a damp patch in a day or two. Repeat until the patch comes out clean. How long depends on how badly the barrel is fouled.

OK, that's my 2 cents. Anyone else wanna weigh in?
Molly

Ricochet
05-12-2008, 06:41 PM
The great thing about Hoppe's #9 is its scent. :mrgreen:

05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Molly quote- "That said, I've gotta add my two cents worth: I find that #9 residues cause very poor accuracy until it's been shot out - usually 5 or 6 shots."

Hmmm interesting, any idea why that is?
Would acetone remove the last of the Hoppes if not wanted in the bore?

Love the smell of #9 in the morning!

I use #9 for cleaning after shooting smokeless with cast because I have a lot of it. Seems to clean powder fouling OK. After running thru a series of wet #9 patches and after they come out mostly clean. I run two dry patches thru. Then if no lead or bad crud in bore run a patch with small amount of Breakfree/CLP thru. That will usually show if any more fouling is there. If mostly clean that's it. The most recent test by Brownells showed Breakfree/CLP to be one of the top two rust preventers/preservatives on the market- a fairly good test was done I think. CLP has also proved to be a pretty good fouling solvent in its own right.

Even cheap, generic ATF thinned a little with acetone shows promise as a home brew bore cleaner but haven't spearminted with it long enough to form a hard opinion.

Also, I know that fouling shots sometimes are needed for the group dispersion to settle in but still haven't figured out the real deal. Some guns/loads are same POI first shot til end of string (maybe 10-20) no matter the previous bore prep. Some require 1,2 or 3 fouling shots until the groups settle to stable POI. So I dunno?

After shooting Jbullets, BP, or for removing stubborn lead--- well those are different topics :)

jhrosier
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I have given some thought to cleaning and conditioning the bore for the first shot(s) lately.
I am going to try wiping the bore with a patch wet with mineral spirits to remove the preservative oil, followed by a dry patch. I've been cleaning between ten shot strings with a few passes of a dry bronze brush, followed by two dry patches and have found fewer first shot flyers.
If this doesn't solve the problem, perhaps a patch damp with a very dilute solution of alox based lube, thinned with mineral spirits would pre-condition the bore. I don't know, but it seems that there must be a way to do this without wasiting a couple or three shots.

Jack

Leadforbrains
05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
The great thing about Hoppe's #9 is its scent. :mrgreen:

AMEN to that brother! I usually get the wife to dab a little behind her ears on Friday night.:mrgreen:

Edited to add that I have used hoppes off and on for years. After cleaning with whatever I use (Hoppes, Butches Bore shine, JBs, Sweets 7.62) I always swab the bore out with Kroil several times and then a dry patch. I always check my rifle at the range and foul it before hunting. Everyone has a system that works best for them, but I never would have thought Hoppes #9 was a detriment to accuracy. I guess you learn something everyday.

Molly
05-12-2008, 08:16 PM
...I am going to try wiping the bore with a patch wet with mineral spirits to remove the preservative oil, followed by a dry patch.
If this doesn't solve the problem, perhaps a patch damp with a very dilute solution of alox based lube, thinned with mineral spirits would pre-condition the bore. I don't know, but it seems that there must be a way to do this without wasiting a couple or three shots.
JackNot a bad approach, but I think I would use lighter fluid instead of min. spirits, simply to be sure the bore was completely dry after scrubbing. Then I think I'd try a group both with and without the alox solution for conditioning. Can't say for sure what you'll get, but it would be interesting.

Molly

Blammer
05-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I like wipeout.

Bass Ackward
05-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Since you work up your accuracy with a certain lube, I think that everything is virtually a deterrent to accuracy to some degree.

The key is what you have in there and how it reacts with your lube. Kroil, being a penetrating oil, generally thins just about all lubes. Hoppies does a similar job by breaking it down.

In the end, the best bore prep is what you are using for lube with that load.

NVcurmudgeon
05-13-2008, 02:20 AM
I took four firearms to the range today. One was a Krag carbine which I was working up a load for, using 314299 and IMR 4198. The top load was 1760 fps so I ran a tight dry patch though the bore to check for leading. There was none, so I cleaned the chamber and acton, oiled moving parts, and wiped off the outside metal with a slightly oiled rag. The other two rifles had been fired with long used 1500 fps loads known not to lead so they got the same routine as the Krag without any cleaning of the bore. Some of my CB rifles have fired hundreds of rounds without loss of accuracy, so I don't clean the bore unless there is a reason, such as leading, expecting long term storage, or changing to jacketed bullets.

The fourth firearm was a S&W .357 Magnum revolver fired with fairly hot PB loads. There was a little leading, but nothing that a good cleaning with Hoppe's didn't handle.