PDA

View Full Version : Is This Global Warming?

bubba.50
05-06-2016, 02:31 AM
had snow on the ground today at Mounatain Lake one county away. and a couple counties to the east thay had 4 or 4 inches of sleet & snow. so much that they had to break the plows out again to clear the roads. man, this "global warming" is sure amusing/confusing me!

GaryN
05-06-2016, 03:20 AM
We have global warming here every summer. It is almost here now. Then in the fall we have global cooling.

JSnover
05-06-2016, 03:57 AM
You're a racist!

kungfustyle
05-06-2016, 06:01 AM
Silly, They found out that they can't sell global warming, it is now called climate change. Smoke and mirrors.

fryboy
05-06-2016, 06:17 AM
One of my pet peeves is all the glowbull warming ash falling down covering the ground ,it was more fun when I was younger and dumber of course ;)

OS OK
05-06-2016, 09:27 AM
New Law: Once a politician or public servant is found lieing to the public…we slit their tongs about an inch. In the future if someone wants to know if they can trust them, they say…"stick your tong out please."

Looking ahead for solutions to common problems…OS OK

bubba.50
05-06-2016, 10:04 AM
then the First Americans could truly say "white man(& all other politicos) speak with forked tongue".

Hick
05-06-2016, 08:27 PM
I have a good friend of many years who is a Phd and weather expert (its his job). When I asked him about global warming he told me two things. (1) Yes, on average, things are getting warmer, but (2) all it does is change the weather patterns-- so some places will get drier and warmer, but others will get wetter and colder. This I can understand.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-06-2016, 11:37 PM
snip...
(1) Yes, on average, things are getting warmer
About 20,000 years ago (the end of the last ice age), Minnesota was covered with a mile thick layer of ice...it's been getting warmer ever since.

Also, none of the Goebbels Warming experts have been able to explain to me, about the century long 'warming' period around the year 1000, when the real Vikings farmed Greenland.

Hick
05-06-2016, 11:48 PM
It was cooler then, it got warmer about the year 900 (there was a reason the Vikings called it Greenland-- it was green) then it got colder again, now its warming again-- that keeps changing the weather patterns. The big thing, though, it that the average goes up and down, but that doesn't mean every place changes the same way. And-- by the way-I'm not defending the global warming alarmists-- I don't think the ups and downs mean much-- its just weather.

OptimusPanda
05-06-2016, 11:48 PM
Sample size is a funny thing. Today it was raining, yesterday too. Must be the rainy season.

Lead Fred
05-07-2016, 12:33 AM
Nope this is

bubba.50
05-07-2016, 01:23 AM
my home is on the flight path from D.C. area to Charlotte with the Roanoke airport thrown in the mix for a bit of local flavor. it looks about like that in the sky over my house at busy times of the day if conditions are right for the contrails to last a while.

PS Paul
05-07-2016, 01:36 AM
The global cooling is CAUSED by global warming. Got it? Good.

dtknowles
05-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Why Climate Change matters (does not matter if it is natural or man made).

Populations are more fixed than ever before and can't or won't migrate to accommodate changing weather patterns.

Coastal Communities have Trillions of dollars in fixed infrastructure that is threatened by sea level rise.

Whole communities and some small island countries are being inundated by the sea and will be underwater in just a couple decades.

The global food production is tied to a particular weather pattern and is seriously impacted when that pattern is disturbed.

What can we do about it?

Not much, we can move communities that will be under water.

We can use Climate Models and Satellite data to inform Farmers regarding crop selection and Planting times.

We can spend billions on levies, dike, locks and pumps to save the cities on the Coast.

What are we doing beside some of the above.

We are picking winners and losers in the Global Energy Supply game with taxes, regulation and incentives to limit the sea level rise to an unattainable goal and we are sending billions of dollars to the worst affected poor countries to make our selves feel good.

It is not "hope and change" it is "change and hope"

Change is coming and you can hope it works out well for you.

Tim

Smoke4320
05-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Why Climate Change matters (does not matter if it is natural or man made).

Populations are more fixed than ever before and can't or won't migrate to accommodate changing weather patterns.

Coastal Communities have Trillions of dollars in fixed infrastructure that is threatened by sea level rise.

Whole communities and some small island countries are being inundated by the sea and will be underwater in just a couple decades.

The global food production is tied to a particular weather pattern and is seriously impacted when that pattern is disturbed.

What can we do about it?

Not much, we can move communities that will be under water.

We can use Climate Models and Satellite data to inform Farmers regarding crop selection and Planting times.

We can spend billions on levies, dike, locks and pumps to save the cities on the Coast.

What are we doing beside some of the above.

We are picking winners and losers in the Global Energy Supply game with taxes, regulation and incentives to limit the sea level rise to an unattainable goal and we are sending billions of dollars to the worst affected poor countries to make our selves feel good.

It is not "hope and change" it is "change and hope"

Change is coming and you can hope it works out well for you.

Tim

Tim
I don't agree with you much but this one I believe you have nailed ..
Its about taking and redistributing money

popper
05-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Well put Tim.

Artful
05-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Remember Carbon Credits?
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/carbon_credit.asp
Follow the money
http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2010/05/exclusive-estimate-carbon-footprint-of.html

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/26/enron-environmentalism-the-carbon-credits-scam-pumps-millions-of-tonnes-more-greenhouse-gases-into-the-atmosphere/

Hick
05-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Tim-- concise and, I think, accurate

Nick Quick
05-07-2016, 11:11 PM
They were two ice ages in the past. That means every time "something" triggered a "global warming". Now I wonder who was the culprit for the previous two warmings......maybe the dinosaurs driving big SUV's.

dtknowles
05-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Think about it. The globe is warming and the Sea Level is rising.

We can't stop it. We will deal with that or suffer the consequences.

The Liberal Globalists will use it as an excuse to subsidies the poor countries with our tax dollars. They will continue to Punish Coal and Oil Companies because those business support Republicans.

Our Tax dollars will flow thru DC to Coastal U.S. cities to build Dikes and Levies and buy pumps.

Tim

mold maker
05-08-2016, 02:30 PM
If it weren't for weather what else would we all talk about? The reason is that weather affects everyone. No matter if you're a farmer, factory worker, a Dr. lawyer or Indian Chief, we're all intolerant of weather we do or don't like.

Artful
05-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Behold the new land mass after the rising of the ocean - and maybe the flipping of the magnetic poles

http://mobileemergencycity.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/zzzzzzzzzz_44476707_sea_level629x380.gif

And of course no polar ice

bubba.50
05-08-2016, 04:28 PM
while my original post was a weak attempt at humor, I have no doubts that the earth is gettin' warmer. there have been ice ages, tropic ages & accordin' to science at least once when the poles changed places. what I have doubts about is the extent of mankind's bein' the cause of it. especially after readin' actual scientific accounts of how the volcano that shut down all of Europe a few years ago pumped more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than all of mankind has in many centuries.

dtknowles
05-08-2016, 11:00 PM
Sort of my point, it does not matter whether man made or not, it is happening and we can't stop it so it will have to be dealt with and many will try to use it for their agenda.

Tim

William Yanda
05-09-2016, 07:31 AM
This morning on NPR I heard that a large percentage of the coral reefs off Australia are suffering from the loss of the algae that color them. Allegedly this is due to El Nino-a rise of as little as 1 degree for four weeks can cause this to be permanent. That being said, I have a hard time attributing that all to human activity vs. a change in solar activity.

mold maker
05-09-2016, 09:14 AM
We're just along for the ride. Mother nature is totally in charge.

marlin39a
05-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Was a cold Winter here, December/January in Arizona. In fact, woke up cold this morning with ice on the windshield. When I hear from algore, I'll know it's Summer.

dtknowles
05-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Was a cold Winter here, December/January in Arizona. In fact, woke up cold this morning with ice on the windshield. When I hear from algore, I'll know it's Summer.

It was the first year here in a long time that we did not have a killing frost. We skipped Winter this year and went right from fall to spring with a lot of extra rain.

Tim

Idz
05-09-2016, 02:32 PM
The scientific method: 1) Observe, 2) Form a hypothesis, 3) Make predictions based on the hypothesis, 4) Perform experiments to verify the predictions. The climate 'scientists' have failed at #3 and #4. They will claim that they can 'predict' anything that has happened by 'adjusting' their computer models but that is more con-man than scientist.
The global warming crowd makes two extraordinary claims: 1) They understand the climate 2) They can control the climate. In the past such rain-makers would be tarred and feathered.

EMC45
05-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Saw snow on the mountain on Friday 6 May.

David2011
05-09-2016, 03:48 PM
The truth according to Algore:

Warmer = Global warming
Colder = Global warming
Monsoon= Global warming
Drought = Global warming
El Nino = Global warming
La Nina = Global warming

I think that about covers it.

David

mold maker
05-09-2016, 06:53 PM
The only global warming I have seen is the direct results of politicians with their mouths open.

Mica_Hiebert
05-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Snowed today at 9:30 a.m. on top of Lolo pass about 3 hours from where I am at.

dragon813gt
05-09-2016, 07:15 PM
It was rainy and cold for six straight days. Today it was partly cloudy and the sun was out. It was noticeably warmer. Now this could be caused by the natural season changes. Or it could be man made climate change. I will go w/ the latter ;)

dtknowles
05-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Of the last few posts most were not helpful, just partisan complaints. Yes, the Liberal Globalist are spinning Cliamte change to their benefit.

The oceans are rising and practical steps to deal with the consequenses need to be taken.

Silly steps like the Eco Liberals are doing down here in Louisiana to stop the loss of the Marsh. It is too late for a lot of the Louisiana Marsh and millions of dollars are being wasted because they think we are going to get the world to stop CO2 emissions and the sea level rise will stop. Neither of those are happening.

We need to back up an put barriers where they can be supported and defended.

I guess those of you who don't live on the Coast don't understand that Costal erosion is inevitable and expensive. Insured losses and the cost to cities will be very high and it has already started. We need to accept that the Climate is changing and Green Energy will not stop the ocean and global temperature from rising.

The Climate changes and the trend is pretty obvious from where I sit. Shutting coal mines and building wind farms will not stop the change.

Tim

Artful
05-09-2016, 11:38 PM
You know the funny thing about coastal area's is that it has been moving soil for generations.
I used to go over to the Dune on the Oregon Coast and the first thing you did was carefully find out what had changed since your last visit. Backs of Dunes blown away, sink holes developed - and from the top of some of the dunes you could watch the barges being filled with silt from the river bottom as the re-dredged the shipping channels yet again. The winter flooding now held back by dam's up stream that used to wash all the mountain out to the river mouth and deposit new land unto the coastal plane has been tamed. Eventually the plate tectonics will push up new land at the points where they collide. But in my memory the sea coast has never been a truly fixed place on earth.

dtknowles
05-10-2016, 11:00 AM
You know the funny thing about coastal area's is that it has been moving soil for generations.
I used to go over to the Dune on the Oregon Coast and the first thing you did was carefully find out what had changed since your last visit. Backs of Dunes blown away, sink holes developed - and from the top of some of the dunes you could watch the barges being filled with silt from the river bottom as the re-dredged the shipping channels yet again. The winter flooding now held back by dam's up stream that used to wash all the mountain out to the river mouth and deposit new land unto the coastal plane has been tamed. Eventually the plate tectonics will push up new land at the points where they collide. But in my memory the sea coast has never been a truly fixed place on earth.

Yes the coast lines change. Climate changes and the world changes. Almost everywhere the coast is receding not making new land. That trend in not good in most cases. Islands are being lost (except manmade ones). They are about to evacuate an Island here in Louisiana, just wasn't in a place where it could reasonably be saved or they would have tried and I think eventually failed.

Tim

Yellow Fang
05-11-2016, 12:14 AM
I have a good friend of many years who is a Phd and weather expert (its his job). When I asked him about global warming he told me two things. (1) Yes, on average, things are getting warmer, but (2) all it does is change the weather patterns-- so some places will get drier and warmer, but others will get wetter and colder. This I can understand.
Nonsense. Satellite data show no warming for the last 18 years.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

robg
05-11-2016, 02:43 PM
The sun controls the weather .we can't change that .it run hotter or colder in cycles we are in a warm phase at the moment ,we need to worry when it enters a cool period!

David2011
05-14-2016, 04:42 AM
The sad truth about the Louisiana swamps is that the damage was done by oil and gas exploration. I work in the industry and spent 8 years in South LA. Before people knew better (or cared?) canals were dredged that allowed salt water to enter the swamps which killed the natural vegetation and allowed erosion to take hold. The damage is probably irreversible at this point but took hold long before the environmentalists started screaming about global warming.

David

FISH4BUGS
05-14-2016, 06:04 AM
Global warming? Here in rural NH our wood stove has still been used 24x7 up until the beginning of this week. Cool spring so far. We have burned about 7 cords this year....and it really wasn't all that cold.
Yup.....global warming.

dtknowles
05-14-2016, 12:48 PM
The sad truth about the Louisiana swamps is that the damage was done by oil and gas exploration. I work in the industry and spent 8 years in South LA. Before people knew better (or cared?) canals were dredged that allowed salt water to enter the swamps which killed the natural vegetation and allowed erosion to take hold. The damage is probably irreversible at this point but took hold long before the environmentalists started screaming about global warming.

David

David, you are right about that but that isn't the whole story, the Mississippi River Levies and the sea level rise contribute to the problem as well. But like you said the damage is done and there is no going back only preparing for the future.

Tim

Wis. Tom
05-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Frost tonight predicted. High of 49 today. Hope my apple trees make it through. Wind is from the north, northwest, and it's cold for this time of year. Maybe they need to raise taxes more and write more regulations as that should help with global warming.

rockrat
05-14-2016, 09:12 PM
I wonder how much CO2 is being released from the Fort McMurray fires? Maybe the greenies should go up there and protest mother nature and all her CO2 emmissions. Demand some law being passed to stop the fires!!

white eagle
05-14-2016, 09:24 PM
Must be global warming
went to cut grass today and it was snowing
a sure sign [smilie=w:[smilie=w: