PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot, but at least I'm a clever idiot...

MT Beard
05-05-2016, 11:53 PM
Don't know why, but this is a bit of a long story. Prior to notifying my then wife that I was done and moving out, I loaded 2000 45 auto rounds, cast 2500 230 grain slugs and powder coated them. Well, I've just about shot all of the rounds I had made up and began my first session of 45 reloading since moving out. For some reason I thought that I had already sized the 230 gr bullets I had cast and powder coated. Didn't even bother to check to see if their size was correct. Did I mention that I was an idiot? Turns out that I hadn't and when I went to plunk test these light target rounds, they didn't make it halfway into the chamber[smilie=b:. I found this out after loading 400 rounds on my single stage press.....DAMMIT :x!!!!! Like I said, I have extreme bouts of idiocy.
While pondering my options, I figured there were three.
1. See if they would chamber with the force of the slide falling (idiot move)
2. Pull all 400 bullets and start over......
3. Figure out how to size them to chamber and work.

I tried #1. Now remember, I'm an idiot... That move jammed the over-sized cartridge in there so tight that it was a bear getting it out.

Thinking about #2, well I've pulled my share of bullets following mistakes. But, I sure didn't want to pull 400 unless absolutely necessary! Which left #3...

I pondered how to size them down, knowing that I had punched out the sizing ring in my Lee taper crimp die. Thinking about it, I knew that I had put the same crimp on these 400 that I had on the previous 2000. Because I measured....and wasn't an idiot for a couple of seconds. Well that crimp measurement happened to fall at .473-.475 :Bright idea:. Then I had the random thought that the outer dimensions of the 45 auto case are essentially the same as a lopped off 30-06. Case web dimension of .470. Hmmmmmmmm.....could I run these cartridges up into a 30-06 die and get them down to a dimension that will plunk in my 1911 barrel? Seemed like the best option, so I figured that I would start with the seating die. Never remembered a case coming into contact with the die walls while seating 30-06 bullets....... should be a larger diameter than the sizing die! DING DING DING!!!! By golly that worked, the first cartridge I ran into the die chambered like a champ. The next 8 all fed, chambered, and ejected [smilie=w:

I guess the reason I'm sharing this with you all is because we all screw up and are an idiot in some way at some time. Take my marriage for example. Man, I should have known better! My parents did, my friends did, but I sure didn't. So, I was an idiot and married her and had a kid with her. I'm not a George Straight fan, but my son is the light of my life, and if I have to pay by dealing with his mom for the rest of my life, it is worth it! I think the song of his that say's "if it weren't for my two kids, I'd hate my ex-wife" is right on the money, and I think of that a lot. Now it has been 17 months since I moved out and the divorce is still an awful mess and not finished. But, I am better! I am better. Making a mistake is a bummer, but recognizing when it happens and figuring out a solution is the experience that should be remembered.

So there it is. A long winded explanation of how a 30-06 die can be used to size down 45 auto cartridges that are too large in diameter to chamber. Now, off to my next idiotic escapade...

Mica_Hiebert
05-06-2016, 12:00 AM
I over crimped some 480 ruger one time bulging the cases below the crimp. I did the same thing you did with a 7 mag die...

Walter Laich
05-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Glad you were able to keep from pulling 400 of them.

I had to pull 328 when I loaded incorrect components. Took a couple of days but that's over and done with (till the next time)

mdi
05-06-2016, 11:26 AM
That's what a Lee FCD is for; covering up screw-ups...

snowtigger
05-06-2016, 12:50 PM
My worst one was not checking to see if some loads would fit in my wife's 9mm. 1500 of them!! I said to myself "If you pull everyone of these, you probably won't forget it". Needless to say, that has never happened again. Other bblunders? Sure, but not that one..LOL

OS OK
05-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Uh Oh…been there 'done that'…A question though…"Have you pulled one of those 're-manufacturred' cartridges down and measured the boolit to see what it's new diameter is? I think you may have made some 'instant leaders' there…you may have inadvertently swaged the boolits down too far?…"

Just wondering…OS OK

fredj338
05-06-2016, 02:32 PM
The LFCD will get the functional but best to limit "idiocy" during any reloading process. You could also shoot them in a generous Glock chamber. 400rds is a good excuse to buy a new gun.:wink:

BigMagShooter
05-07-2016, 10:26 PM
I'd have just reamed out the chamber in my 45 to make them fit... :) easier less hassle for when you make that mistake again... :)

wlkjr
05-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Now you can concentrate on how to remain a good father and not alienate your relationship with your son. I was lucky in that my ex allowed me to remain civil. I'm glad I took the high road as it worked out much better for me in the long run.

dubber123
05-10-2016, 06:11 AM
I suppose I have to be the jerk (again), and warn that sometimes the lead boolit won't spring back as much as the brass case when sized together. This can sometimes make for very little neck tension. If it happens they can get driven in the case when chambering, which isn't good. If your fix didn't produce this situation, you should be good to go :)

MT Beard
05-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Howdy All,
Haven't been able to make it to the range yet to check to see if they are going to produce leading. However, in some of my previous mistakes I sized down the powder coated bullets a bit too small. They produced a little leading, but not a significant amount after a hundred rounds.

HangFireW8
05-21-2016, 12:05 AM
Howdy All,
Haven't been able to make it to the range yet to check to see if they are going to produce leading. However, in some of my previous mistakes I sized down the powder coated bullets a bit too small. They produced a little leading, but not a significant amount after a hundred rounds.

Pre-lube your barrel with some boolit lube on a patch, and mix in a big fat juicy well-lubed boolit in every magazine, maybe with a gas check, and you can shoot up a big batch of leading loads without too much problem.