PDA

View Full Version : bought lead that was already cast.

si vis pacem, para b
05-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I frequent the scrapmetal yards quite often because of the business I am in. They already know to tell me if they have any lead on the yard. Last time I was there they pointed me to a bucket full of already cast boolits in all kinds of calibers with and without gas checks. Unfortunately they were pretty dirty like they might have been sitting in a garage/shed for a long time. I bought them but then I started thinking.... why would some body get rid of all of their boolits? Could they be a bad alloy or maybe the previous owner got out of the hobby how can I find out if these things have zink in them or the general quality of the alloy?:confused:

Ricochet
05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
If they don't look bad, they don't have zinc in them. If they're dirty, clean them up, relube and shoot them.

Most common reason for stuff like that getting junked is that the old man died, or became disabled. It's gonna happen to us all.

218bee
05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
I actually found a bunch of stuff at a sale and there are about 1000 cast 38 wadcutters in the batch. I plan on melting them testing for hardness and making an ingot or two for future use. I assume the ones that have gas checks the checks will float to top when lead starts to melt.

Ricochet
05-12-2008, 04:10 PM
I hate to melt down something somebody went to all that trouble to cast, if they're in decent shape. Bet you know somebody who shoots .38 wadcutters, if you don't. But they're your boolits.

targetshootr
05-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Whenever I croak, someone will sell off the thousands of boolits in my house and garage and the buyer will wonder the same thing. I even got bunches of them when I bought my pot and sizer that were left over after the original owner passed away.

:castmine:

qajaq59
05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
After you've moved a few times, you'll find that paying the movers to lug your heavy bags of them 4 states away just isn't worth the expense.

leadburner
05-12-2008, 05:34 PM
I got some cast bullets on an auction,was told they were 17-18 bnh. They turned out to be 28 bnh,mono-type.I make softer alloys harder with just a small percentage of these added. They were not too expensive so I may have to see if he's got any left.

Bigjohn
05-12-2008, 07:03 PM
After you've moved a few times, you'll find that paying the movers to lug your heavy bags of them 4 states away just isn't worth the expense.

I've had removalists lug my entire supply of boolit metal once. At that time it fit into one box that used to contain 40mm cannon projectiles before they were charged and fused. [smilie=1:

The last move I made, I had to get a trailer in to shift it all two trips with a 6' x 4' trailer not even half full due to the weight.

Now, well I would hate to have the job of moving it all and I'm figuring on doing it at a rate of 500grains max per. :Fire:

I helped a former local Dealer clean out his shed twice; first time was a tonne of wheel weights, second time was about a quarter tonne of cast boolits. I still shooting off those that were salvagable. :Fire:

John.

targetshootr
05-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Am I alone or is anyone else afeared to let anyone else see all the lead around their house? I have this nagging feeling it'd wind up in the newspaper.

HeavyMetal
05-12-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm a big believer in not telling people any more than they need to know about my business!

Saves a lot of time and effort better spent on my hobby.

runfiverun
05-12-2008, 08:33 PM
i hope it don't make the paper.
most of the guys at the club don't know where i live.
they would be too happy to help get thelead out of the paper.

RustyFN
05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Am I alone or is anyone else afeared to let anyone else see all the lead around their house? I have this nagging feeling it'd wind up in the newspaper.
Targetshootr seemed like a nice guy. He was quiet and never caused any problems in the neighborhood. Who would have thought. :kidding:

Rusty

Leadforbrains
05-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Targetshootr seemed like a nice guy. He was quiet and never caused any problems in the neighborhood. Who would have thought. :kidding:

Rusty

.....annd he was just turning his life around.[smilie=1:

targetshootr
05-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Heehe. That is sooo me.

:drinks:

pumpguy
05-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Last I counted, I had over 20,000 rounds loaded. Can you imagine what the papers would say? I shudder to think![smilie=1:

si vis pacem, para b
05-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Don't worry guys when the world is coming to an end all the people that think we have lost it, will be saying "Hey do you think I can borrow a cup of sugar? Mine was robbed. I know that no one would dare steal your sugar with that kind of arsenal.":drinks:

454PB
05-13-2008, 12:58 AM
A few weeks ago, there was an article about a guy in Washington state that had smelted lead and cast boolits for many years. He sold the house, and the kids of the new owners ended up with lead poisoning. The house and land are now a hazardous area, and you can bet there is a big law suit pending. This is just one of the reasons I use Marvelux and keep my shop windows closed.