PDA

View Full Version : Three tries and three failures

Wilson
05-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the help thus far.
I fired up the turkey fryer this morning and was unable to get the lead past 650 degrees. Maybe it was too windy out. I'll have to order a pot or just go back to buying bullets.
Yesterday I tried to size the best of the bullets I had cast in the Lyman sizer and broke the handle on the second bullet!
I'm just about out of bullets for my classes, so I'm going to have to order some by tomorrow. I've checked prices at Montana Gold and Berry's bullets. They are about 7 cents per bullet when bought 5,000 at a time. Do you all have any suggestions on other than these two?
Thanks

targetshootr
05-12-2008, 12:30 PM
I used to buy from Valiant in Alabama, 256-748-3333. They has them as cheap as I could find.

R.M.
05-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Wilson. It sure sounds like you're having your problems. It's probably an accumulation of a few small mistakes. Don't get discouraged. Casting can be relaxing, yet I doubt you'll agree with me right now. It shouldn't be as difficult as you're finding.
Where are you in Louisiana? What I'm thinking is that maybe you can hook up with a local caster that can show you just how simple a job it is.
What do you say guys? Anybody from down that way that'd like to help out a newbie?????[smilie=s:

dakotashooter2
05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
650 should be hot enough but if was windy you were probably loosing enough heat to keep your pot up to temp. You could make a wind shield for your cooker out of sheet metal and that should help hold the heat. If you broke the handle on the sizer I have to wonder if you are using a hard alloy and/or dropping oversized bullets.

Scrounger
05-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Try Magnus Bullets (http://www.magnusbullets.com/index.html), they are in nearby Alabama so that should help shipping. They have been around for many years and I never found anybody that could beat their prices. The gentleman who owns it is very helpful and co-operative and loves to talk. Don't call unless you have an hour to spend.

Junior1942
05-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm half way between Alexandria and Monroe. Area code 318.

jleneave
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Here is a link to a thread on a Marlin website where a guy sells bullets. He is located in Stonewall, LA. His prices are really cheap, in fact I can't see how he sells them so cheap. Anyway, I hope this helps.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,23847.0.html

Down South
05-12-2008, 05:25 PM
A wind shield would probably help. You might try to find a higher pressure regulator to get the temp up too.

Junior1942. It sounds like you are close to me. I live 45 miles north of alexandria. I live just out of Jena.

Junior1942
05-12-2008, 06:41 PM
A wind shield would probably help. You might try to find a higher pressure regulator to get the temp up too.

Junior1942. It sounds like you are close to me. I live 45 miles north of alexandria. I live just out of Jena.
So do I. Tullos.

MT Gianni
05-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I have seen a few turkey fryers that had the flame too far away from the pot IMHO. The flames should not impinge [touch] the pot but should come close. Gianni

Wilson
05-12-2008, 09:35 PM
I've got bullets on the way from the guy in Stonewall, LA. Thanks a million. Now I've bought some time to work out the casting on my own.

trickyasafox
05-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I've used some of the Stonewall Bullet Co bullets. great guy to work with and a good product.

Down South
05-13-2008, 08:19 AM
I've used some of Stonewalls Boolits myself. I still have a few boxes of them sitting around. They should work fine for your classes.

Junior1942. I used to hunt right out of Tullos. We'll have to get together soon.

mike in co
05-13-2008, 09:47 AM
check the air regulator. it controls the combustion....if not set to provide the right flame...you are very inefficient.
mike in co

Lead melter
05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I'll go along with the air regulator inspection. Might not be a good idea to change the gas regulator. Most of these bird cookers are set about 10 PSI which is plenty. The air reg should be open, just about all the way.

If you need a wind screen for the flame, just cutting a notch out of an old coffee can works well. Set the notch over the burner arm, and the can keeps the flame directed onto the bottom of the pot, not around the side.

Good luck.

jleneave
05-13-2008, 04:28 PM
I've got bullets on the way from the guy in Stonewall, LA. Thanks a million. Now I've bought some time to work out the casting on my own.

No problem and glad I could offer a little help to a fellow caster on this site. It feels good to contribute a little back for all the help and advice that I have received from the guys on this site. As for Stonewall Bullets with the prices of lead I can't see how he can sell them so cheap, but I am sure glad he does. My hat is off to him!! I have never ordered any bullets from him so if you don't mind could you send me a PM after you get the bullets and shoot some of them and let me know how they did, I would appreciate it. Good luck with your bullet casting, stay with it and you will get if figured out and it will all be worth while. Happy shooting!!

Wilson
05-15-2008, 08:30 PM
jleneave
I'll let you know how they work out.

randyrat
05-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I'll go along with the air regulator inspection. Might not be a good idea to change the gas regulator. Most of these bird cookers are set about 10 PSI which is plenty. The air reg should be open, just about all the way.

If you need a wind screen for the flame, just cutting a notch out of an old coffee can works well. Set the notch over the burner arm, and the can keeps the flame directed onto the bottom of the pot, not around the side.

Good luck.+++++1 on that coffee can. I'd bet it's saved me lots of gas over time. Makes things much more efficient and dirrects the heat right to the bottom of the pot. BTW I use a 10 PSI regulator with a needle gauge so i can turn it down if needed.

jleneave
05-16-2008, 02:38 PM
jleneave
I'll let you know how they work out.

Thanks, I would appreciate it.