PDA

View Full Version : Henry Big Boy and Marlin Jam

lightload
05-03-2016, 01:49 AM
I've been reading about Marlin jams in their pistol caliber carbines. Since Henry's design is similar to Marlin's, I'm wondering if they too are susceptible to this problem. I read that proper fitting in the Marlin would eliminate this jamming. If the Henry is indeed susceptible, can we assume that the Henry techs are putting them together in a manner to eliminate the this jam? Too, proper fitting and hard chrome plating of relevant parts might eliminate the curse forever in a custom rifle.

dannyd
05-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Henry's don't if shot at a slow pace. They are not for fast cowboy shooting, but great gun for just having fun shooting

W.R.Buchanan
05-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Don't get into this Marlin Jam thing. If it exists at all on your particular gun,,, it is a minor problem that can be fixed in about 5 minutes by filing a small radius on the point of the cam on the lever.

It only exists on very few guns and only shows itself if you are running the gun a warp speed.

Randy

therealhitman
05-05-2016, 01:07 PM
+1 on that.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Any rifle/firearm that fails to function properly when worked as rapidly as possible needs to be returned to the maker or given to a HIGHLY competent gunsmith for correction. ALL firearms - bolt action, lever-action, autoloader, pump gun should simply work!

Uncle R.
05-05-2016, 01:51 PM
I had an 1894 Micro Groove many years ago.
I let it go for some silly reason - wish it was still mine.
I shot it a lot before I ever took up casting.
I never tried it with boolits but it was very accurate with J-words.
Ah, it was good to be young, with steady nerves and razor sharp eyes.
I often did my best to outpace Chuck Connors, and it ran slicker than owl spit.
My current Winchester 94 magnum can't even come close to the Marlin for smooth operation.

Did I mention I wish I still had the Marlin?

Uncle R.

dannyd
05-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Any rifle/firearm that fails to function properly when worked as rapidly as possible needs to be returned to the maker or given to a HIGHLY competent gunsmith for correction. ALL firearms - bolt action, lever-action, autoloader, pump gun should simply work!

I'm good with that if we are talking pre 64

fordwannabe
05-05-2016, 11:10 PM
W.R. BUCHANAN could you elaborate on that statement/instructions. Thanks

aephilli822
05-06-2016, 11:11 AM

doesn't look too hard to fix....

http://www.ktgunsmith.com/marlinjam.htm

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/jams-all-kinds/24519-different-way-fix-marlin-jam.html

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fix+marlin+jam

lightload
05-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Maybe Remington has a "Marlin jam". :bigsmyl2:

wrench man
05-08-2016, 03:03 PM
The only time I've had issues with feeding in my 1894's is when using semi wad cutters or the short cases, 44 Special in the 44 Mag!, RNFP profile and correct length ammo and NO issues!?

Geezer in NH
05-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Wouldn't a Henry have a "Henry Jam"?

lightload
05-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Of course. It seems like quite a few go back for warranty service. One of mine did, and the other may make the same trip. Loading the mag tube to capacity will make the lever fly open. This happens with the .357 brass frame version.

thegatman
05-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Periodically add some blue locktite to the screws and tighten them up. I never had a problem with any Henry or Marlin.

Hogstir
05-12-2016, 02:14 PM
I've got a Henry in 357 and the carbine in 45 colt. I never had any problems With jams even when cycling the lever as fast as I could.

bichettereds
05-13-2016, 10:12 PM
I experienced the dreaded Marlin Jam with 1894c. It's where the cam on the lever puts a gouge in the carrier. Once it's there, it doesn't matter what bullet, what case, how fast or slow you cycle the lever, it's a problem. There are lots of posts on how to fix it though.

My Henry big boy steel in 44 doesn't have this problem but it seems to be more of a scaled down 336. The problem is with the 1894s I believe.

edadmartin
06-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Hey, I've read about the Marlin jam and how to fix it.i just bought a 91-336 in 30-30 and am wondering what kind of jam happens,if it does what is the procedure to remove the jam,what tools are necessary if I'm at the range??

Blackwater
06-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Lightload, you may be onto something! At least according to what I've been hearing at the LGS. It's amazing how much trouble ensues whenever gun companies, or any other technically oriented company, gets run by bean-counters and preppy "business" types. Looks to me like anyone who runs a company would get out and find out what it is they're in charge of making, and what makes them work. But what do I know? I live in the swamps, and just don't understand the egghead mentality. Probably a Harvard MBA in charge, I'm guessing, or a wannabe????

farmbif
11-03-2016, 09:15 AM
new henry BB steel 41 mag right out of the box jams with factory rem JFP first 4 times i tried to load and fire it, fifth time it feed alright. Just hope it keeps working properly waiting for mp 413-640 to be delivered.

Guesser
11-03-2016, 10:02 AM
I've owned 7 different Marlin 1894 carbines. The only one that "Jammed" was the 1894FG in 41 Mag. In it the lifter would slide sideways and lock everything up. Took me a while and had it apart several times but I installed a couple of spring loaded "wave" washers to hold it centered on the pin. Works now.

buckshotshoey
11-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Henry 010....45-70....functions correctly every time. No Issues.

smkummer
11-04-2016, 12:15 PM
My mid-70's 1894 micro groove would jam with short cartridges, not all the time but it only takes once in six stages to ruin a cowboy match. I cant shoot 44 specials that are even slightly shorter than 44 magnum including the tradition long round nose on a 44 special. My 44 magnum loads have to be right at max, AOL and the problem is gone. Maybe someday I will get it fixed but with Lee's 44-200FP bullet crimped into the second crimp groove, I am good.

Highway41
11-04-2016, 12:36 PM
new henry BB steel 41 mag right out of the box jams with factory rem JFP first 4 times i tried to load and fire it, fifth time it feed alright. Just hope it keeps working properly waiting for mp 413-640 to be delivered.

Was that with the Remington HTP 210 JSP? If so were you able to determine why it jammed up?

jmort
11-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Marlin Jam
Glock Kaboom etc
Real things

kingstrider
11-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Out the 30 or so Marlins I have owned over the years, only one ever jammed up, a 1894SS. I still have the gun and after minor filing on the lever haven't had a problem since.

W.R.Buchanan
11-10-2016, 08:25 PM

Remove the lever from the gun. There is a cam around the pivot hole. That cam has a sharp point on it. File and or Stone a .030 radius on it. Put some grease on the bottom of the Cartridge Lifter and on the cam. Reassemble,,, it is now fixed.

As far as feeding SWC style Boolits the fix for that is putting a .050 chamfer or radius on the chamber mouth. It will be sharp from the factory and when the cartridge lifter pins the round against the top of the receiver as the bolt pushes the cartridge forward the sharp edge will gouge into the nose and outer edge of the SWC style boolit stopping it's forward progress.

By chamfering the back edge or mouth of the chamber you remove the sharp edge and the rounds simply slip into the chamber.

My gun with this mod will feed SWC rounds as fast as you can shuck the lever.

I have posted this pic many times here. Here's one more time.

Randy