Hey all,

Wanted to post on one of my projects...

Lead boolits in the 1911.

Was having severe leading problems in my 1911 with a "Standard Target Load"

H&G #68, 4.6g V V N310, 1.25" OAL.
my H&G 68 runs around 203g in ACWW.
Sized to 0.452"
LBT Soft Blue lube.

Very accurate load, definitely has some snap to it.... not a way reduced power load.
Kart EZ-Fit NM Barrel.... So Smooth....

Anyway, here's how things went...

1. Couldn't stop leading with the std Taurus barrel. Powder, lube, size, charge... Nope. Didn't run lead. Change to Kart. Much better. (My suspicion is that the leade dimensions are weird.... measures like they hammer forged the barrel and the mandrel was slightly oversized in the leade..... like rifled leade at 0.456")

2. VV N310 at that power level supposedly runs ~19,000 PSI.... Changed to VV N320 at around same velocity.... should be ~16,500 PSI. Definately helped. Primers look much better too.

3. Slugging showed the end of the chamber cut was pretty sharp.... Appeared to be shaving some lead on one side. Fire lapped, 5-rounds only. Definately helped more.

4. Sizing x lube possibilities... Had some LaserCast boolits, same pattern laying around. Those measured ~0.4523" rather than 0.452". Really didn't seem to be a change vs Standard with VV N320. Still leading a wee bit.... maybe

5. Re-swaged my ACWW/lubed boolits up to 0.4525". Very sharp shoulder, very sharp base. Ka-Ching! NO leading. If I didn't know better, I would swear it actually cleaned the previous leading out of the barrel.

So... My prediction is that the 0.4525" dia is just barely big enough to fill up whatever gap happened to be living in my leade. Then, the lube could do its job...

I am curious to see what will happen if I re-swage a few of the Lasercast boolits....It would answer the question "Is the LBT Lube saving the day or did I just get the boolit "Over the hump" big enough to fit?"

Such small changes, such big results. Seems like you just have to keep chipping away at these things till they settle down.

Thanks

John

dromia
05-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Doesn't it feel good when you work your way through and solve a problem.:-D

Nice example of applied knowledge making the difference. Thanks for sharing.

44man
05-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I hope you have a strong machine for the Lasercast! They are hard. :mrgreen: