PDA

View Full Version : Linemen

rl69
05-01-2016, 09:20 AM
With all the storms I believe we need to say a prayer for the ones who keep our power on

Blackwater
05-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Amen. My DIL works with Ga. Power, and they have designated crews to send to areas of disaster, and she's sometimes gone for a few days or so on these treks. The job they do is every bit as important, and saves as many lives, probably, as our police, military and firemen, but they don't get the press the others do. They're highly skilled and HAVE to exercise great judgment 100% of the time, or they can become rather crispy in the flash of an eye. It takes real courage and expertise to do their jobs, and I've never met a lineman that I didn't respect. Dealing with death constantly tends to do that to a man. Prayers up here for them. They do an amazing job when disasters strike, and never get credit for it.

They're just another group who does what they do for the simple inner satisfaction of knowing it means something. God bless 'em.

Tenbender
05-01-2016, 12:40 PM
I was a lineman back in the day. Left tackle.

lightman
05-01-2016, 01:00 PM
There are a few retired linemen on here. I worked at it for 35 years and retired last year. Thanks for the kind thoughts and for thinking about the ones still working. Its the time of year for violent storms.

USMC87
05-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Amen, We should always remember those who serve us.

upr45
05-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Amen, I'm a substation guy that has a lot of respect and appreciation for the line guys. Their work is much harder and more difficult in storms than my work. Their personal trucks are still in the parking lot when I get to go home.

Duster340
05-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Yes sir. My Dad is 85 now, but was a lineman for 35 yr. Alzheimers taking away some memories, but he can tell you in great detail about climbing poles back before bucket trucks were the norm. He also remembers the crew members that didn't make it home. I remember him being gone for days on end when big storms rolled through. Mom would fret and worry nonstop til he came home. Those guys had balls of steel.

Stay safe fellas

Preacher Jim
05-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Lord we here at cast boolits chapel ask you to watch over and protect all who work to keep life comfortable for us. Their lives are always just a slip away from tragedy, put your hands on them and protect them. Watch over them from negligence in drivers and coworkers.
This we ask in Jesus name
Amen

Boaz
05-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Thank you Jim . Amen

rl69
05-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Thank you for putting a prayer to words amen

Pine Baron
05-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Preacher Jim, from your lips (and our hearts) to God's ears. Amen

Ken in Iowa
05-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Preacher Jim, from your lips (and our hearts) to God's ears. Amen

Agreed!
Amen

Boaz
05-02-2016, 09:35 AM
I have one guy about mid thirty's that comes in , he lost both arms being a lineman . I generally buy customers a coke out of the machine , I always play like I want one myself and get him one in the process . He has 2 prosthetic arms and can't handle change or open the tab on the can . He has 2 boys , he seems bitter . I know his life is hard . First time he came in I asked him ( I generally ask everyone) where he worked and he replied...........Nobody will hire a guy like me .

Blackwater
05-02-2016, 03:30 PM
That's pretty typical of folks who have lived and adopted the the secular progressive attitude toward life, that it's all about getting stuff and being something or other. Thank God there's more to life than that! It's been said that with kids, more is "caught than taught," and we adults are no different. We're heavily influended, almost to the point of being a determinant sometimes, by those around us, and what they think and (perhaps more than anything else) their attitudes. We seem to absorb attitudes like a dry sponge soaks up water. Just keep being nice and cordial and friendly until he comes in one day and feels like talking. Then just ease into the serioius stuff, and smile as you do it. It may be like planting a seed that only grows later, but it'll come some time. Those who are sullied and disillusioned by life don't take well to instruction, so just a simple, light hearted discussion and a smile, without any hint of instructing, can go a long way with these folks sometimes. And it keeps from running them off permanently, too, which is the worst thing you can do. But I'll bet he'll come in one day and just feel like talking. Just smile, good naturedly, and mostly agree with him where you can, and then just in a very low key way, let him know what you think, and leave it at that. They usually can take only little "mouthfulls" at a time, but repeated over time, can often break through the barrier of disillusionment that they often raise up around them. It's serious business, but has to be taken very lightly, and often in "baby steps" to keep from running them off. Just my 3 cents' worth on it, anyway.