PDA

View Full Version : Coaxe solder question.

starmac
04-30-2016, 12:11 PM
I have a stupid question, but seems like there is guys on here that does about everything imaginable.

I need to solder a new end on a cb coaxe and am not sure what type of solder is best for this application? HELP!!!!!

Pipefitter
04-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Whatever you have on hand, the expensive water safe solder is not necessary for this. 60/40, 50/50, or 40/60 will all work.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Rosin core 63/37 is the standard for electronics, But honestly, most any solder will work satisfactorily...but using acid core will cause corrosion.

bangerjim
04-30-2016, 12:48 PM
You ABSOLUTELY need rosin core electronic solder or a non-acid flux-in-a-can to solder electronic wires. Solder (any alloy you can find) by itself will not "tin" or stick at all. Rosin is what makes the metals "tin" and the solder flow well in between and around the things you are soldering.

DO NOT use anything acid core or acid based for anything electrical or electronic! Just not a good idea due to corrosion in the future.

starmac
04-30-2016, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys, I have some 40/60 rosin core that should do it.

runfiverun
04-30-2016, 05:55 PM
I have used marvelux in place of rosin core solder before.
all you need is a flux.

MaryB
04-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Make sure you look up the proper strip distances for the shield, braid, center insulation, and center conductor or you can create an SWR bump on the line and cause problems. Use a LARGE soldering gun to solder the shield so it heats fast and doesn't melt the foam insulation...

MaryB
05-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Actually the shield is supposed to be soldered on a standard connector. I went to crimp connectors 5 years ago and will never go back.

starmac
05-04-2016, 12:01 AM
Well I managed to get the coaxe soldered, and some more soldering done, but burnt (somehow) my new weller professional solder gun. I bet I haven't actually used it over 5 or 6 times.

bangerjim
05-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Well I managed to get the coaxe soldered, and some more soldering done, but burnt (somehow) my new weller professional solder gun. I bet I haven't actually used it over 5 or 6 times.

If it is the big one with the coils inside the "gun", check the connections where the copper soldering tip is connected to the 2 "pipes" that come out the front. Soldering heat is created by the current flow thru the tip and if the electrical connections are loose or corroded, you will not get to full melt temp. I have 4 of those kind and I always clean those areas to bright shiny every few months.

banger

starmac
05-04-2016, 12:45 PM
LOL, The radio works, the soldering gun is dumpster bound.

leadman
05-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Do you hear the coils for the soldering gun buzzing? If so try what bangerjim said for the soldering gun. I have one that is about 50 years old and the tips get tarnished and don't make a good connection. Clean them and it may work again.

Mal Paso
05-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Do you hear the coils for the soldering gun buzzing? If so try what bangerjim said for the soldering gun. I have one that is about 50 years old and the tips get tarnished and don't make a good connection. Clean them and it may work again.

Yep! I have a 60 year old Weller and a 30 year old Weller. I loosen then tighten the Tip Screws or Nuts each time I get one out to freshen the connection. Always been that way. The voltage is so low any resistance will reduce the heat.

MaryB
05-04-2016, 09:01 PM
My old weller gun is the same, tighten the tips all the time... If the case melted weller sells parts...

starmac
05-04-2016, 09:29 PM
No such luck in my case. You can see through the fins in the plastic housing and see a burn't spot about the size of a quarter on one side, the other side of the coils are still shiny. I'm afraid she is deceased.

What gripes me is that I had 4 wellers that all somewhat worked, but needed new tips. Two were the smaller ones and 2 about the same size. I decided to toss them and get a new one a year or so ago, and now need another new one. lol

Mal Paso
05-04-2016, 11:41 PM
What gripes me is that I had 4 wellers that all somewhat worked, but needed new tips. Two were the smaller ones and 2 about the same size. I decided to toss them and get a new one a year or so ago, and now need another new one. lol

You committed some sort of Murphy Law violation or something.

I lost my needle-nose pliers, limped along on long visegrips or whatever. Finally decided they aren't coming back and ordered a pair. 2 Days after I put the new pair in the box there is the old pair right next to the new pair. And it's not the first time.

The logical explanation is all my work is Off Road and tools get jumbled. I'm tending to think it's a little Stranger than that.

bangerjim
05-05-2016, 12:12 AM
You can make tips for those style of irons out of 12 or 10 gauge solid copper wire.

Bend to the correct shapes and go for it. They will not get as hot as the real ones but I have made many over the years when I needed the irons but the tips were shot and did not have any spares.

banger

MaryB
05-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Before bending the copper wire for a tip hammer it to about half thickness. It will get just as hot then!