PDA

View Full Version : My UPS driver retired friday

Lloyd Smale
04-30-2016, 12:01 PM
47 years working for ups. He started in 1979. They had a big party for him here in town. For 40 years of his career he delivered just to our town. Everyone knew him by name and I'm sure is arm got bigger over the years waving back to everyone that waved at him. He asked me at the party how many dollars worth of reloading stuff I thought hed delivered in that 40 years. He said I was one of his best non business customers. Between delivering here and at work i bet there wasn't to many weeks i didn't say hi at least once. He knows my dogs name and even remembered my last two dogs before this one. Kind of one of those things that changes and you know its because your just getting old and don't have enough time left to know the next one. Another part of your life gone.

shoot-n-lead
04-30-2016, 12:05 PM
The math doesn't work out on that....1979 til 2016 is not 47 or even 40 years. I retired from my job yesterday, also...started in 1980...for a total of a few months over 36 years.

But, good on him for providing good service over whatever length of time he served y'all.

jsizemore
04-30-2016, 12:27 PM
Could be he was delivering for another outfit before joining UPS.

Hardcast416taylor
04-30-2016, 12:45 PM
We lost our local grown UPS driver this year to a brain tumor, he was only 50 years old and had been doing our locale since age 25. He grew up going to our church, teaching Sunday school and just being there whenever a need for someone was needed. He always put my packages in the garage on the steps leading to the house then he would knock on the door to let us know he was there. The replacement driver, not from around here, just leaves our packages on the garage concrete apron and is then gone - doesn`t matter if it is my insulin or a pair of pants rain or shine there they are left. I`ve called his depot to try to leave some sort of info on where to put stuff, so far it hasn`t worked.Robert

w5pv
04-30-2016, 05:10 PM
We have one Fedex driver that stops to pet my dog she has been doing it for some time now since he was just a big pup.

jonp
04-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Our first UPS driver when we moved here was great. He would leave the packages that had to be signed for like ammo in my unlocked pick up and then lock it up. If it was raining he would put it in the garage. Our last several just throws the package anywhere they feel like. I found one package of starline brass halfway down the driveway under our flagpole sitting in the rain. One guy stopped on the road, walked across the front yard and stuck a "not able to deliver need a signature" sticky on the front door and waved to my wife, who was out back hanging clothes, as he drove off.

6bg6ga
04-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Lloyd, you are blessed having a good U.P.S. driver. I had one once and I've missed him for the last 9 years. Every delivery was carefully put on my porch and I never had a damaged package. The next driver I had I saw him drop a expensive distortion analyzer on my porch from a height of three feet and it ended up as junk. The next package he dropped off at my home I had him on camera and showed the footage to U.P.S. officials and he was gone to a commercial route after that. I hope you bought the man several beers.

JeffinNZ
04-30-2016, 06:38 PM
Barbers, priests and UPS men know ALL our sins. LOL.

Hope he enjoys his retirement. Will to hard to wind down after such an active and socially stimulating job.

lightman
04-30-2016, 08:27 PM
We had a good one for a number of years. Her name was Brenda and she knew everyone and did a great job. She called me Rambo because she recognized some of the places that my orders came from. Her replacement is pretty good, too.

RayinNH
04-30-2016, 09:01 PM
I get two drivers at my shop. One delivers in the morning and another picks up in the afternoon. One in particular, that retired a couple years ago, was a shooter. We always talked shooting when he came by. I used to give him my old gun rags as I read them.

MaryB
04-30-2016, 09:22 PM
My old UPS driver retired, he stopped at my house to let me know and asked if he could look around one more time. He was born in my house when it was the local midwives house! He was doctored here as a kid too and spent 3 days upstairs in one of the rooms after tonsil surgery. When he is in town he stops in to say hi and talk... he delivered a lot of electronics packages to my house!

Lloyd Smale
05-01-2016, 06:09 AM
those were his years on the truck . He worked in the warehouse before 79.
The math doesn't work out on that....1979 til 2016 is not 47 or even 40 years. I retired from my job yesterday, also...started in 1980...for a total of a few months over 36 years.

But, good on him for providing good service over whatever length of time he served y'all.

6bg6ga
05-01-2016, 06:36 AM
There always has to be someone that tells you your math isn't correct. To answer.... it don't need to be correct. If its close its good enough period.

mold maker
05-01-2016, 09:09 AM
My local UPS and USPS are near retirement and will be sorely missed. They are from a passing generation that took pride in whatever they do. The sub drivers are just concerned with the end of the run and take no patients to do a good job. Since they have no personal attachment to the packages, it's just a hindrance to their time.

Handloader109
05-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Yeah, after moving to AR from MS where my ups and FedEx drivers would Never stay on my driveway (ruts from trucks) my drivers were good. Now in the country with a 300 ft drive, it is 'challenging' for them to figure out where to put a package. My postman usually drops at my front door, nice cover, good spot. Both ups and FedEx will put on driveway, some in front of garage, some in front of my shop, and Friday, ups left one at the driveway entrance.... Wth! Gate isn't closed! Oh well, I'll deal with it, and the postman dropped my lead at my front door :-)