PDA

View Full Version : FedEx May Not Stop Here Anymore

jonp
04-29-2016, 07:05 PM
The usual FedEx driver makes a fuss over our little doggy and always gives her a milkbone. Today a different driver stopped by. Couple of beeps on the horn as he pulled in and when I opened the door our 75lb Valley Bulldog took off like a shot right at the van.
White Van+Horn=Doggy Bisquit!

The guy had one foot out the door and saw our little bundle of love coming full speed at him and quickly jumped back in and slammed the door. I told him the deal while Ralph sat next to me staring at him and hopefully wagging her tail but he was not amused and didnt smile. Oh well...

Hick
04-29-2016, 07:18 PM
This post made my day because just 5 minutes ago I got off the phone from complaining to Fedex about their shipping practices. My wife bought a really nice cabinet for one of the pretty fake fireplaces, and fedex didn't read the "this end up" label on the box, set it down hard on the wring end, and the cabinet was damaged. The company just shipped us a second one by fedex, and it arrived laying on the wrong side again, and is again damaged. Maybe the next time time visit me I could borrow Ralph??

rancher1913
04-29-2016, 07:35 PM
our local fedex driver is great and really cares, but the shipping hubs they run must be staffed by government workers judging by the amount of stuff they break. our saint bernard runs to greet both the fedex and ups drivers, and will sit at their door until he gets his biscuit then goes off and leaves them alone, the mail lady on the other hand drops our packages in the ditch at the road because shes scared of him. we make sure all the drivers get garden stuff all summer and buy a box of biscuits for their trucks sometimes to repay them.

starmac
04-29-2016, 08:47 PM
The wifes grandad had a 1/4 mile driveway. All of a sudden out of the blue the dog would make a dead run and jump up on the hood of the propane truck any time it turned in. The driver had always been friends with the german shepard, so had no clue why this happened all of a sudden. The dog would go beserk trying to bite the windshield. He could no longer deliver propane until someone got the dog.
It turned out that the driver that drove while he was on vacation had sprayed the dog with propane, and the dog never took a chance of that happening again. lol

Skunk1
04-29-2016, 09:05 PM
The wifes grandad had a 1/4 mile driveway. All of a sudden out of the blue the dog would make a dead run and jump up on the hood of the propane truck any time it turned in. The driver had always been friends with the german shepard, so had no clue why this happened all of a sudden. The dog would go beserk trying to bite the windshield. He could no longer deliver propane until someone got the dog.
It turned out that the driver that drove while he was on vacation had sprayed the dog with propane, and the dog never took a chance of that happening again. lol

Funny how people are with big dogs. Most are just as lovable as any lap dog. I get sick of people teasing my Saint. I don't bother the German Shepard down the hill that barks 24/7. And I mean 24/7. Saint only barks if there's a reason to bark.

SciFiJim
04-29-2016, 10:06 PM
The usual FedEx driver makes a fuss over our little doggy and always gives her a milkbone. Today a different driver stopped by. Couple of beeps on the horn as he pulled in and when I opened the door our 75lb Valley Bulldog took off like a shot right at the van.

The guy had one foot out the door and saw our little bundle of love coming full speed at him and quickly jumped back in and slammed the door. I told him the deal while Ralph sat next to me staring at him and hopefully wagging her tail but he was not amused and didnt smile. Oh well...

I am a mail carrier and this is a perfect example of why we have been instructed to NEVER feed a dog. Having been bit twice, I am very leery of dogs I don't know. I won't go in the yard if there is any dog present. If a dog has teeth, it can bite. Sorry but I am there to deliver the mail, not there to be friends with your pet. I have two dogs of my own. As friendly as they are to me, I am still careful when any strangers are around them.

Duckiller
04-30-2016, 01:37 AM
Soon after we moved into our house we got a weimeraner puppy. The then mailman was an older gentleman that made a point of getting to know our dog. Never had a problem. he retired and we have since had a variety of postmen. Current one is Vietnamese and has been trained to be deathly afraid of any dog. We had a smaller Labrador female that would bark at anyone that came on our property. She would also bring them one of her toy's to throw for her. At the post office she was labelled a viscous dog and a red flag was in our sorting slot. If this is the was these quasi-government employees are trained then I am in favor of letting the postal service go broke and shutting down. As an engineer I would have to visit homes after a wild fire to tell home owners how to protect their houses from a mud flow that could follow the wildfire. Often these owners had large dogs that had just been scared by the fire and could seem to be aggressive. Unlike th postal service I did not deny service to the citizens of Los Angeles County.

Mica_Hiebert
04-30-2016, 02:10 AM
Years ago we had a Charpi and he was as nice as pie to every one including the meter reader but he had it out for the u.p.s. man and the dog would chase that poor man into his truck every time. Some times the guy would bolt into the back of the van and slam the door and the dog would sit inside the cab and bark and growl. He started pulling up to the house and honking with his doors shut if he had to deliver a package. We felt awful for that poor guy and never did figure out why that dog had such a hate for that ONE person on this planet!

redriverhunter
04-30-2016, 07:47 AM
I have a pit bull that does not live up to their reputation, he just wants to be where you are and loves to go for rides. The U.P.S. man drove up to drop off a package and my dog saw his chance to go for rides jumped up in the U.P.S. truck and did not want to get out. The driver was not amused.

Petrol & Powder
04-30-2016, 08:02 AM
Some people have a fear of dogs and there's not much you can do to help them get over that fear.

rancher1913
04-30-2016, 08:08 AM
forgot about the saint we had growing up til redriver's post. he was our best friend and followed us and protected us and towed sleds back up hill for us and was generally used for whatever mischief we were up to. he had one fault, he loved to go for rides. you had to barly open the car door and get in quick, if you gave him half a chance he would force his way in and once in the car nobody could get him out. he would get mean and snap at anybody that tried to get him out until you took him for a ride, usually just around the block was fine, then you opened the door and he would hop out and go about his business.

clintsfolly
04-30-2016, 09:43 AM
I work at a delivery service and I have seen a package sort many times! IMHO every person that packages for a living needs to see one. The shaved apes move a lot of stuff fast and dirty boxes get kicked,thrown, dropped, punched and pushed with the forktruck! Many times I see boxes with one strip of tape on the bottom with 10 reams of paper just dropped in and no filler. 2" tape with just a 1/4 " on the other flap. The worst one was a small transmission just dropped into a cardboard with out filler and just one strip of tape both top and bottom! I delivered it putting the box on the porch and set the tyranny on top of it. The customer called the seller and complaining. The seller called my company and complaining and finally got you my boss. After hearing the guy out he told him that he was lucky that I got the delivery at most drivers would have refused it and sent it back as it was Improperly packaged and out of the box when we got it! So when you package stuff pack it like your going to throw it out the 2nd story window. This will up your odds of getting it there!

blackthorn
04-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Quote "Years ago we had a Charpi and he was as nice as pie to every one including the meter reader but he had it out for the u.p.s. man and the dog would chase that poor man into his truck every time. Some times the guy would bolt into the back of the van and slam the door and the dog would sit inside the cab and bark and growl. He started pulling up to the house and honking with his doors shut if he had to deliver a package. We felt awful for that poor guy and never did figure out why that dog had such a hate for that ONE person on this planet!"

Dogs seem to have a sixth sense about people so I would never trust someone who my dog said as questionable.

RogerDat
04-30-2016, 12:31 PM
I am puzzled, how is it that all these dogs have the ability to run to the road, or greet delivery people in the driveway?
Dogs running loose bothers me, they work off of instincts that are not always compatible with the human world, as an owner it is my job to make sure they don't have to handle situations I should be in charge of. From the dogs perspective driving the propane truck away by aggressive action makes perfect sense.

Dogs and roads can work out badly, dogs and passing strangers can work out badly. Dogs and other dogs who are loose can work out badly. I just know too many cases where it worked out that the dog was injured or destroyed due to running loose. Only takes one mistake or misfortune.

There was a dog down the road from me that the owner did not keep confined or under control, tried to chase me as I would go by on my motorcycle twice. First time it was slow and well behind me, the second time as it arced in to come in at the back of my leg I suddenly tapped brake then goosed the gas with my foot sticking out. Threw his aim off instead of coming up behind my leg he took an engineer boot in the shoulder at about 20 mph. Stopped chasing me, young kid on a motorcycle not so lucky, dog went at him and he lost control, crashed. He ended up in hospital, homeowner got dinged for the damages and the dog was put down. I think the dog may have bit him or not, wouldn't make any difference to the outcome.

Even friendly dogs have some prey and play drive that will cause them to chase a running person, dogs defend the territory they patrol, dogs will streak across the road for a squirrel, rabbit or those people shooting off fireworks that the dog doesn't like. All reasonable from the dogs perspective, all potential disasters in the human world.

tygar
04-30-2016, 09:35 PM

My dogs really appreciate anyone willing to drive back my mile long driveway just to give them something to chew on!

Seriously, all delivery people know that if they see a dog & I'm not with them to honk cause I'm around somewhere. Even with 34ac & no one within 1/2 mi. If they're loose I'm with them.

Even with all their training, you need to always be around "working" dogs if people are around, cause you don't know what dumaz things some people will do that will get them bit.

All dogs come from wolves & most have very strong "prey", "territorial", & "defense" instincts & they are just being canines.

Like someone said, don't run from a dog unless Tygar's coming at you, then, finding a very secure hiding place is in order.

oldfart1956
04-30-2016, 09:37 PM
I sometimes find the sheer stupidity of pet owners amazing. While they seem to think their pets scaring the carp of of folks is funny I find it a justifyable reason to shoot said pet. And if said owner wishes to confront me afterwards they may well get the same treatment. One of those "nice doggies" raised in a house full of kids, and of course wouldn't hurt anyone, ripped my grand daughters face nearly off. Five years or more later and they're still doing surgeries. My sister-in-law works for the P.O. and has been bitten twice. Knowing my brothers demeanor I can't believe those dogs are still alive. If indeed they are come to think of it. Fortunatly this is one area where I can fix stupid. Audie...the grump Oldfart..

rondog
04-30-2016, 10:47 PM
This post made my day because just 5 minutes ago I got off the phone from complaining to Fedex about their shipping practices. My wife bought a really nice cabinet for one of the pretty fake fireplaces, and fedex didn't read the "this end up" label on the box, set it down hard on the wring end, and the cabinet was damaged. The company just shipped us a second one by fedex, and it arrived laying on the wrong side again, and is again damaged. Maybe the next time time visit me I could borrow Ralph??

IMO, that's the fault of the shipper. A freakin' cheeseburger should have enough sense to realize what packages go through en route, and have the intelligence to package fragile items accordingly. It's all about the dollar and the bottom line, cut every corner possible on packaging to save a few nickles. And the corporate lawyers making sure the "fragile" and "this side up" etc. labels are used to absolve the company from liability and protect the corporate a$$.

Packages are very likely to suffer abuse and damage in shipping, we've all seen it firsthand. So, I tend to stuff and tape my packages like an obsessed lunatic. I want them to survive and get there intact!

rondog
04-30-2016, 10:58 PM
I sometimes find the sheer stupidity of pet owners amazing. While they seem to think their pets scaring the carp of of folks is funny I find it a justifyable reason to shoot said pet. And if said owner wishes to confront me afterwards they may well get the same treatment. One of those "nice doggies" raised in a house full of kids, and of course wouldn't hurt anyone, ripped my grand daughters face nearly off. Five years or more later and they're still doing surgeries. My sister-in-law works for the P.O. and has been bitten twice. Knowing my brothers demeanor I can't believe those dogs are still alive. If indeed they are come to think of it. Fortunatly this is one area where I can fix stupid. Audie...the grump Oldfart..

Sorry to hear about your granddaughter and sister-in-law, but if you shoot somebody's dog because it's "scary", you may find yourself bleeding out next to that dog, and justifiably so. Other people can "fix stupid" too, keep that in mind. God help anyone that shoots one of my dogs.

woodbutcher
04-30-2016, 11:18 PM
:bigsmyl2:Never had a dog that was agressive.However,we had a girl kitty that loved the outdoors.Never left the yard.Went in and out as the mood struck her.When someone that she did not know came around,she would get up on the roof and watch them like a hawk.One day a neighbor got rough with my youngest step son.Midnight came off the roof like an avenging angel.That little punk came out on the very short end of the stick.The whole neighbor hood laughed about the neighbor hood"attack cat"we had.No problems ever came of that either.Oh yeah.Midnight weighted in at 15 pounds.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
LOeo

snowwolfe
05-01-2016, 09:27 AM
We as dog owners need to realize not all people like dogs. Some pet owners seem to think just because they love their pet everyone else should to. Don't label me as a hater because we have a yellow lab we love dearly.

Don Purcell
05-01-2016, 10:06 AM
I was a gas meter reader for nine years and have nine scars from dog bites. The ones that gave me the scars I never saw coming. Most of the dogs on my routes were friendly or like "yawn, whatever". I remember there was a gas meter in a basement about the size of a root cellar and I had to use my flashlight to read the meter. Just then I heard a low growl behind me. A big Doberman was between me and the stairs. Oh ****! I began to talk to him and instantly he changed to me being his new best friend. After that I would open the cellar trap door and say "Hey buddy" and he was tearing up the stairs to greet me.

FISH4BUGS
05-01-2016, 01:29 PM
I am a mail carrier and this is a perfect example of why we have been instructed to NEVER feed a dog. Having been bit twice, I am very leery of dogs I don't know. I won't go in the yard if there is any dog present. If a dog has teeth, it can bite. Sorry but I am there to deliver the mail, not there to be friends with your pet. I have two dogs of my own. As friendly as they are to me, I am still careful when any strangers are around them.
I have been bitten twice by "dogs that never bite".
Sorry. Keep your dog under control at all times or I won't come onto your property....and keep your dogs off MY property.
Period.
End of discussion.

ncbearman
05-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your granddaughter and sister-in-law, but if you shoot somebody's dog because it's "scary", you may find yourself bleeding out next to that dog, and justifiably so. Other people can "fix stupid" too, keep that in mind. God help anyone that shoots one of my dogs.

Whatever dude. Control your dog. If I'm out and a dog is aggressively approaching me it's over. It's an animal. Especially if there are kids around. Any time a kid or person is mauled the dog should be put down legally or otherwise. And if you would shoot a human over an animal issue you should have your carry license revoked. That mentality is what screws things up for the rest of us.

jonp
05-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Whatever dude. Control your dog. If I'm out and a dog is aggressively approaching me it's over. It's an animal. Especially if there are kids around. Any time a kid or person is mauled the dog should be put down legally or otherwise. And if you would shoot a human over an animal issue you should have your carry license revoked. That mentality is what screws things up for the rest of us.

I agree with you on that. If you enter my yard then that go's out the window. My dog stays within the confines of the yard and doesn't wander off. If she did and attacked someone I would not blame them for shooting her. Any dog that mauls someone off of the property should be put down immediately unless it was protecting it's owner. Shooting a human over an animal issue is crazy unless that guy attacks you after you shot his dog coming for you on the street somewhere.