PDA

View Full Version : help..ingots too large for pot

swabbie
05-11-2008, 01:42 PM
all I have to melt ingots is some sort of cast iron muffin pan from Emiril....the ingots are about an inch bigger in diameter than my Lee pot:roll:

are there any easy ways to cut the ingot in half?I thought about turning the blade around on my chop saw,but that seems a little extreme:mrgreen:

at least they're not stuck !!!

DLCTEX
05-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I have used an axe, a hatchet, and reciprocating saw. I have read that a carbide tipped circular saw will cut lead well. I just melt most large ingots in a cast iron pot on a propane burner. DALE

fishhawk
05-11-2008, 03:09 PM
i tried the carbide tip saw last summer..not a very good turn out, stuck the blade in the lead chunk sort of like leading in a barrel with it melted to the saw better use some sort of lube next time i use a skil saw

Shiloh
05-11-2008, 03:42 PM
I use a propane torch to melt larger pigs into the pot. Drill a hole and hold the pig with a coat hanger wire.

Shiloh

Baron von Trollwhack
05-11-2008, 04:16 PM
If you have not yet melted them, get a smaller muffin pan. If you already have alloy muffins that are too big, remelting is as easy as any other physical option. BvT

Huntducks
05-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Change your ingot it's to much work to cut the stuff, this is what I use .80 each at Ace I took a 4x4 and routed out a slit that the ingots sit in they drop right out and into my pot.

carpetman
05-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Whatever you do, don't buy an ingot mold that is designed to throw convenient sized ingots and will last a lifetime. That is just not a good answer when there are so many other alternatives that maybe don't work so good. Maybe make ingot molds out of your bed frame? If you have a water bed you may be in trouble though.

trooperdan
05-11-2008, 04:52 PM
What in the heck are those things and what are the dimensions?

swabbie
05-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Shiloh..I like ur idea for the 50+ lbs I've already cast into ingots

Trooper Dan..those are chain link fence ends for the horizontal support rails....

FieldShunt
05-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm partial to my Delta band saw. Safe and not too dusty.

DLCTEX
05-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Actually Carpetman is not far off from what I used to make some ingot molds, the angle iron rails from a set of twin beds cut six inches long at a 15 degree angle on the ends and welded edge to edge then capped with 2 other pieces. DALE

runfiverun
05-11-2008, 07:55 PM
i went ahead and went with carpetmans first suggeston.
buy one here and one there now have about 10. fill them up twice and the pot is about empty.

Morgan Astorbilt
05-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Change your ingot it's to much work to cut the stuff, this is what I use .80 each at Ace I took a 4x4 and routed out a slit that the ingots sit in they drop right out and into my pot.

All you guys with chain link fences WATCH OUT!!!:mrgreen:
Morgan

05-11-2008, 08:30 PM
all I have to melt ingots is some sort of cast iron muffin pan from Emiril....the ingots are about an inch bigger in diameter than my Lee pot:roll:

are there any easy ways to cut the ingot in half?I thought about turning the blade around on my chop saw,but that seems a little extreme:mrgreen:

at least they're not stuck !!!

Actually I like carpetman's solution best
Practically tho- just put the ingot on something like a hardwood surface or short tough hardwood cured butt end, etc. and use a fairly sharp masonry chisel and hammer- about the same as the surgical hatchet technique.... presto rocket science!

Huntducks
05-11-2008, 10:47 PM
News @ 11 The chain link fence bandito strikes again.

They come in to sizes the one in the picture is for 1.1/4 cross pipe which give about 1" ID and about 1.5" deep just right for a lee pot or there are larger ones 2" OD about same depth the lead just falls out like using a lee mould.

With the larger one I slid a peice of 3/8"all thread rod thru and bolted from each side then used a short pair of 2x4 for end peices as a frame.

The only guys cheaper then reloaders are casters.

carpetman
05-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Isnt chain link hardware galvanized? Always heard galvanized puts off toxic fumes. That hardware looks similar to what they mount the names of streets signs on here. Whatever you do,be innovative and dont buy a cast iron ingot mold.

DLCTEX
05-12-2008, 09:51 PM
The post caps are aluminum.

carpetman
05-13-2008, 01:38 AM
dale clawson---Ive never seen an aluminum chain link fence---I guess Huntducks could give it a magnet test and then we'd know.

richbug
05-13-2008, 07:05 AM

I used to sell that stuff for a living, all those post caps/top rail ends/etc I have ever worked with were die cast ZINC.... Your manufacturer might be different though.

JSnover
05-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Galvi does create toxic fumes when heated but I don't think it's a problem until you get near the melting point.
+1 on the ready-made mold suggestion. Some things are so cheap and easy to get it's just not worthwhile to make your own.........

bootsnthejeep
05-13-2008, 03:14 PM
The last time I ran into some over-sized ingots of plumbers lead, I just stood em on edge on the anvil and gave it a few good whacks with a sledge. Slugged right down to size.

oneokie
05-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Would think that an air chisel with a flat cutting blade would work well for this.

carpetman
05-14-2008, 12:16 AM
would think if they are too big this time around,they'll be the next time too---as in perpetual problem. Even so,don't break down and buy and ingot mold that is designed for this. Get an air compressor and a jack hammer,sawzall,dremel tool,sledge hammer---whatever it takes to whip the problem. Save the luxurious cost of an ingot mold.

C1PNR
05-14-2008, 05:35 PM
+1 on the ready-made mold suggestion. Some things are so cheap and easy to get it's just not worthwhile to make your own.........
HeHeHe,
Unless your Brother has some angle iron out back of the shop, a chop saw set up for steel, a welder, and some spare time while we're smoking cigars and drinking beer[smilie=1:

I made a couple to BruceB's dimensions (to fit perfectly in ammo cans, with just enough room at the end to get your finger in to lift one out). Er, my Brother made them, I held his beer:drinks:

azrednek
05-14-2008, 05:58 PM
If you have a local Goodwill store check them out. I got a couple of mini-muffin pans for a buck. Previously from the same store I got I got a heavy cast iron pot and a long handled all metal ladle I use on my Coleman stove to cast ingots. Can't recall the prices but I doubt I paid more than a few bucks. Don't laugh about shopping at Goodwill stores. A couple years ago friend of mine got a Redding powder measurer minus the plastic hopper and cap for a quarter!! He claimied it was with kitchen tools and had been sitting there for awhile as it was in with the half off clearance items.