PDA

View Full Version : Chat problem, Windows 10 & Java

Murphy
04-26-2016, 09:14 PM
My old laptop crashed after a nice long life.

Now for my problem. My new computer came with Windows 10 installed (not to bad to navigate). I attempted to enter chat and got the message stating the chat room required Java. Okay, a quick update to the current Java. I still get the same message and can't get into chat.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Murphy

HangFireW8
04-26-2016, 09:38 PM
You need to hook up your Java to your browser, which you never mentioned which browser you are using.

Murphy
04-26-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm using Google Chrome. I'm not sure by what you mean by hooking Java to my browser?

Murphy

runfiverun
04-26-2016, 10:40 PM
you might wanna get on Java and see which version you have.
chrome runs the 64 bit version of java.
then when you go into chat a box should pop up asking if you wanna run the java program.
if it's not coming up java will have some prompts you can follow to open it on your operating system.
an active-X program might be blocking it and the java prompts should tell you how to fix that.

victorfox
04-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Well maybe check the pop up blocker? Update Java version? Configure security settings of Java? I quit windows since 1998 because of all annoying problems created in each newer version. From all of the I think XP and 7 are the most usable. My wife's laptop came with 8, which IMO su*** and automagically updated to 10 which is more usable though sluggish. I'm a Linux guy....

1187Shooter
05-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Just noticed the same issue this afternoon with Windows 10, Chrome and the latest version of Java... updated it right before I packed up the laptop, but still no chat... I'll play around some more with it tomorrow.

1187Shooter
05-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Googled it, found this blurb on the Java website:

Chrome no longer supports NPAPI (technology required for Java applets)

The Java plug-in for web browsers relies on the cross platform plugin architecture NPAPI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI), which has been supported by all major web browsers for over a decade. Google's Chrome version 45 (scheduled for release in September 2015) drops support for NPAPI, impacting plugins for Silverlight, Java, Facebook Video and other similar NPAPI based plugins.
Java applications are offered through web browsers as either a web start application (which do not interact with the browser once they are launched) or as a Java applet (which might interact with the browser). This change does not affect Web Start applications, it only impacts applets.
If you have problems accessing Java applications using Chrome, Oracle recommends using Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Mac OS X) instead.
Developers and System administrators looking for alternative ways to support users of Chrome should see this blog regarding Launching Web Start applications (https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/launching_web_start_applications).

Switching to Firefox. My company's IT department is pushing it anyways, I guess it's time to try it.

DerekP Houston
05-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Java needs to be shot already, it is terrible. Firefox works for me to access the chat still.