PDA

View Full Version : Need information

blackthorn
04-26-2016, 02:20 PM
I have acquired a few 140 grain Berger 270 jacketed loaded rounds. The guy I got them from said they were loaded "a bit hot". I want to tear them down and reassemble them after I reduce the charge. According to the sticker on the box he used 58.5 grains of H4831sc and I do not have a Berger Manual. My Nosler Manual indicates these are at least 5 grains over max for a 140 grain Nosler partition. I would sure appreciate it if someone with a Berger Manual would take the time to look and post the start and max loads for a 140 grain 270 Berger bullet. Thanks in advance.

lightman
04-26-2016, 03:17 PM
My book shows 51.5 to 57.3 grains of H4831sc in the 270 for a 140 grain bullet.

Blackwater
04-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Jack O'Connor used to load 58.5 gr. H-4831 with the 150 gr. bullet, and though it was warm, he never had a problem with them, and he killed a lot of game with that load, too. That's a 10 gr. heavier bullet and the same powder charge. IF (big "if" here!) you trust his loads, I'd just shoot them. Be SURE to inspect the first fired round for any signs of pressure, though, and all the rest as well. H-4831 cannot, I believe, create really high pressures that might be dangerous in the .270. There's just not enough room in the case for enough to create dangerous pressures.

IF (again, big "if") you don't trust his loads implicityly, pull the bullets and try to save the bullets, and dump the powder in your garden or flowers. The nitrogen in it is good for them, and the granules will dissolve fairly quickly.

gwpercle
04-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Let's see , how does that old saying go...." better safe than sorry " ?

Start low, in your rifle , and work up slowly. What was safe in your friend's rifle or Jack O'connor's rifle , may not be safe in your rifle....too many variables in rifle chamber , throat and bore diameter to take a chance. The loads listed on the box may be exactly what is loaded , but you are not shooting them in his gun.
I had that happen with two 7 X 57 Mauser rifles, a military sporter and a factory commerical , the military sporter could digest hotter loads than the new commerical rifle.
Gary

Mk42gunner
04-26-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm with Gary on this one, better safe than sorry; especially since the guy you got them from said they were "a bit hot."

Robert

jcwit
04-26-2016, 06:58 PM
I don't shoot others reloads. Ever.

And I only shoot reloads. Over 30 different calibers, BTW.

Hamish
04-26-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm with JC on this one, you have ZERO idea what's inside those cases.

No way, no how, not inches from my face Jack,,,,,,,,,,,

HangFireW8
04-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Jack O'Connor used to load 58.5 gr. H-4831 with the 150 gr. bullet, and though it was warm, he never had a problem with them, and he killed a lot of game with that load, too. That's a 10 gr. heavier bullet and the same powder charge. IF (big "if" here!) you trust his loads, I'd just shoot them. Be SURE to inspect the first fired round for any signs of pressure, though, and all the rest as well. H-4831 cannot, I believe, create really high pressures that might be dangerous in the .270. There's just not enough room in the case for enough to create dangerous pressures.

IF (again, big "if") you don't trust his loads implicityly, pull the bullets and try to save the bullets, and dump the powder in your garden or flowers. The nitrogen in it is good for them, and the granules will dissolve fairly quickly.

After his death, Jack's scale was sold at auction and found to be off. The difference was about what would make it a listed max load, plus a very little.

jcwit
04-26-2016, 08:16 PM
Scales being a little off is very common.

I have a digital scale that weights always weighs light, always the same amout 1 grain. I always use it for what it says, say if I wish 10 grains, I weigh out 10 grains, knowing I am 1 grain light. At least I'm always on the safe side that way. I load always for accuracy.

lefty o
04-26-2016, 10:09 PM
absolutely agree that you have zero idea whats inside those cases. pull them down, toss the powder and reuse the case and bullet.

waksupi
04-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Definitely don't shoot them.
A friend and I had identical Model 70 Winchesters. Mine had a tight chamber, and used three grains less of the same powder, with same bullet for the same velocity. Adding another half grain to my loads would make the bolt extremely sticky. The load I was using was four grains under the max loads in manuals.

blackthorn
04-27-2016, 11:48 AM
There was never any doubt that I will be tearing them down. I do know him well enough that I am confident of the type (4831sc) of powder used, but as I said I do not have load information for Berger bullets. I plan to tear them down and use the powder but using a reduced amount. I am hoping someone with a Berger Manual will reply to this post.

lightman
04-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Um, check out post # 2.

blackthorn
04-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Thanks! When I read your post #2 somehow I did not get that the info came from a Berger Manual. My bad.

lightman
04-27-2016, 03:34 PM
No problem, I guess I'm guilty of bad communication! I somehow failed to mention that this is from my Berger book. Hope it helps.

victorfox
04-27-2016, 05:51 PM
Well don't toss the powder. Since they are probably all over max you can reload them at normal charge and keep the extra powder to load another box LOL

shooter93
04-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Ok...lets work this out....you have a FEW rounds of suspicious loading. Do you trust the loader with your health and life? You are talking pennies here and even tossing the powder if you aren't 100% sure what it is you still have the brass, bullets and primers. It only takes VERY small differences in chamber sizes, throat lengths etc. to turn a load it to a catastrophe. Not worth it to me....toss the powder and start over.

SSGOldfart
04-27-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm with Gary on this one, better safe than sorry; especially since the guy you got them from said they were "a bit hot."

Robert

I just have to agree not worth the risk,something to think about when your handloading have you ever just stopped to double check a load? Does the guy you got them from ever make a mistake,because he's a little lazy you and your gun has to pay the price. Don't do it

Storydude
04-28-2016, 09:49 AM
I don't shoot others reloads. Ever.

And I only shoot reloads. Over 30 different calibers, BTW.

I'm with JC on this one, you have ZERO idea what's inside those cases.

No way, no how, not inches from my face Jack,,,,,,,,,,,

But people will trust a camdex machine pumping out 3,000 rnds an hour from Remington or Federal, being run by low wage workers.

lefty o
04-28-2016, 01:39 PM
But people will trust a camdex machine pumping out 3,000 rnds an hour from Remington or Federal, being run by low wage workers.trust no one elses reloads. very rare factory ammo blows up someones firearm, happens a heck of a lot more frequently with reloads. as for low wage, i dont know what they get at remingturd, but i do know what they make at Federal, and its not low wage!

lightman
04-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Theres a Remington Ammunition plant near where I live. They are considered to have some of the better paying jobs in the area. In the past they also offered a retirement and savings plan. I'm not sure what their benefits are now as companies seem to be getting away from pensions. I won't get into the argument of using others reloads, just passing on what I know about the Remington plant.

SSGOldfart
04-30-2016, 02:22 PM
Liability is why factory made ammo is safer than a unknown handloader.