PDA

View Full Version : Push Through Sizer Question

gsdelong
04-25-2016, 10:27 AM
I may be overthinking this but has anyone come up with a simple solution for either the NOE or LEE push through sizers that works well for Spire point and other pointed boolits that you do not want the nose deformed on by pushing the previous boolit the rest of the way thorough.

I do not have a lathe to make a longer push rod.

Greg

Tedly
04-25-2016, 11:30 AM
make a dummy out of hardwood dowel from your local hardware store....

country gent
04-25-2016, 11:51 AM
You might be able to solder a steel rod onto the end of your existing push rod. Use a vee block or peice of angle iron to aligh the rod with the push rod, you might need a little shim under one or the other. When soldered and cooled simply file extension to match the push rods dia. You might even be able to epoxy the extension in place since all force is going to hold it together.

Pine Baron
04-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Tedly, Dang, that was simple. This is why I love this site. :Bright idea:

bstone5
04-25-2016, 12:27 PM
For a total fit drill a hole in the wooden dowel and fill with epoxy, set the dowel down on the cast bullet that has been coated with a releasing agent, let the epoxy squash out and then wipe off with a paper towel. When hard the epoxy will be an excact copy of the bullet point but a female copy.
I make them out of steel to filt my Harbor Freigt 1/2 ton press used to seatgas checks on pointed cast bullets.

DougGuy
04-25-2016, 12:36 PM
You could mount a Lee single stage press upside down so the boolits would simply drop free and catch them in your hand.

ShaneLyall
04-25-2016, 12:47 PM
I flared a case from a 9 mm and epoxied it to the push rod on my .40. The point drops into the flare but the 9 is mall enough that it doesn't hit the die, unless it shove it too deep. Not the best fix but worked as a quick fix last night about 11:30 when I just had a few to clean up.

gsdelong
04-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Thank you for all the ideas.

Greg

MT Chambers
04-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Yup, turn your press upside down!

bangerjim
04-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Something else to consider:

You will also have to worry about your seating die messing with the nose! The standard nose inserts will smash your pretty pointy nose boolits....big time!

I make new Lee seating die nose profile inserts on my lathe out of brass bar, but as said, you can do the same thing with a piece of hardwood dowel, a hand drill and a few step-sized drills and a rat-tail file. Probably will split after a while, but easy enough to make another one.

banger

Rio
04-25-2016, 04:36 PM
I use a piece of dowel rod. Really very little pressure with the NOE sizer on the next bullet but I push the dowel through anyway.

Tazza
04-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Is the problem because the base of the previous projectile has not exited the squeezing part of the die? or the fact the nose of the projectile will touch the next projectile that has already been pushed through?

I find my 9mm ones are fully pushed through the squeezing part of the die every stroke, so the next one just pushes the one before it out of the way with minimal effort, but the noses are not super delicate.

Can you even seat the die a little further down to allow it to be fully sized? the punches you get with the dies should be long enough to do this.

frkelly74
04-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Are all the presses mounted upside down in Australia? Forgive me I could not resist, I am trying to cut down on the caffeine and feeling a little silly. But seriously, the regular pusher should do the job if the die is screwed in properly, Tazza makes an excellent point.

Tazza
04-26-2016, 11:19 PM
Frkelly74, what you mean upside down? isn't that how all presses are meant to be? :P

bangerjim
04-27-2016, 12:47 PM
And the toilet water swirls in the opposite direction!

HA.......ha

SSGOldfart
04-27-2016, 01:12 PM
And the toilet water swirls in the opposite direction!

HA.......ha
We learn something new every day

Tazza
04-27-2016, 05:14 PM
Well, at least ours swirls in the correct direction, it's yours that is opposite/WRONG :)

bangerjim
04-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Just like the Brits drive on the "wrong" side of the road! I finally learned that driving technique after taking out SEVERAL hedge rows in Wales on our trip. I personally enjoy driving down the MIDDLE of the road - that way I am only ½ wrong! HA.....ha!

Tazza
04-27-2016, 05:54 PM
hehe i like that way of thinking, so when the cops pull you over, you get half the ticket, hopefully the part without the fine :)