PDA

View Full Version : Expansion on game

chaos
05-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I tried out a 250 gr 44 cal mold today that I got from Carpet man. I shot some of these rounds into a sand pile behind my house. they mushroomed like none other. Wheel weights quenched in water. average expanded to .747 !!!
Wonder what these will do in a hog?

loads were very light 44 specials

MtGun44
05-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Likely a lot less than in sand, unless you hit a bone.

Bill

runfiverun
05-10-2008, 09:30 PM
stop........

carpetman
05-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Hunt sand hogs and you'll get same results.

Dale53
05-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Expansion is not necessarily desired in a handgun bullet. Most handgun bullets (at least up through the .44 magnum) in reality have limited power. Expansion limits penetration. I personally put penetration above all else but definitely prefer a WIDE meplat. This, to me, gives the best sort of results on game such as hogs and deer - a wide meplat gives LOTS OF SMACK, without limiting penetration too much.

Men walk upright and require much less penetration because the vitals are pretty close to the surface. With men targets, hollow points have merit IF, and this is a big IF, the penetration is not reduced to the point that you end up with a non-stopping ugly surface wound.

I learned bear hunting, that for determined animals (and a human on "speed" or whatever the "drug of the day" these idiots put in their bodies) it is a good idea to BREAK BONE.

I don't go around shooting people to check my theories but I have been in on a number of deer and bear "autopsies" and I know what I have seen. Wide meplat and "through and through" works for me.

Dale53

chaos
05-11-2008, 12:11 PM
stop........

I guess you are right it didn't read as well as I had planned.

I figured they might be good self defense loads against the "Sandman".

hhhhmmmm maybe I'll go back to the plastic ingot molds and start over:???:

runfiverun
05-11-2008, 01:21 PM
chaos
that is the good thing about this forum there are lots of ideas, most of them have been tried.
in one fashion or another,holow-pointing=soft noses.
good thing is they have been tried some on animals and some on targets some in media.
there are agreements,and disagreements.
but a few about everybody agree's on and this is one of them.
h-points for people, flat noses for game.