PDA

View Full Version : electric fencing for pigs

cephas53
04-25-2016, 07:13 AM
Want to put up an electric fence for a couple feeder pigs. Part of the run will be over a concrete pad.
Getting info from the charger people they said: "In order for the animal to feel a shock when standing on concrete, a two-wire system, with both hot and grounding wires on the fence line, would need to be set up."
Searching but haven't been able to find out how close the hot and ground wires can be on a post. Not as worried about them going over the top as I am under the bottom. Wrote customer service but haven't heard back from them yet.
Being such an eclectic group I thought someone may have a few ideas for me.
Thanks.

rond
04-25-2016, 08:00 AM
I would use a 4 wire system, 2 low to keep them from going under and 2 up higher to keep them from stepping over. Wires can be pretty close to each other, 2 inches should work. They have to touch both wires to get a shock.

w5pv
04-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Run two wires near the bottom at the concrete any where else the ground would suffice.Pigs don't like the shock impulse at all .

redriverhunter
04-25-2016, 09:21 AM
the lesson I learned is the pigs kinda need to be trained to the electric fence. had two that were trained to the fence and put a small one in who was not and ran right throw the fence.

OS OK
04-25-2016, 10:07 AM

farmerjim
04-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Or use regular fencing on the concrete and electric on ground. I would have thought that it would work on concrete, I know it will work through rubber tires plastic seat, and rubber hand grips on a 4 wheeler when you duck under a wire you thought you turned off and didn't.
Deer learn to run through electric fencing when your vegetables are on the other side.

rancher1913
04-25-2016, 12:02 PM
your overthinking it. to get a good shock the animal needs to complete the circuit, either hot wire to the earth or hot wire to a ground wire. place a hot wire about 6 inches from concrete and then a ground wire about 6 inches above that, keep alternating to reach desired height. the distance between can be increased based on the size of the pig, you want to make sure they touch both wires when they try to reach through. they will push mud into the hot wire and short it out so watch for that.

Goatwhiskers
04-25-2016, 12:06 PM
I used to know a fella that kept hogs inside a 4 strand bob-wire fence by using two electric fence wires, one high and one low, on separate chargers in case one went bad. Darn hogs can tell which wire is hot, when one or the other charger died they would escape, either going over or under. Then sometimes you get one hexx-bent on escape that would come running toward the fence, squealing long before he got there and run right thru the fence. Try to get that one back in the pen! GW

starmac
04-25-2016, 02:44 PM
When I was a kid we raised hogs, and had as many as 300 head most of the time. The only time we used 2 wires was when weaning size or smaller pigs were in the pen, but they were both hot.
My experience was shoats from weaning size up to 80 pounds would put their er close to the fence (if your charger pulsed) and then jump through after they got the timing down. Once they had been bit a few times and got to around 100 pounds you could turn the fence off and not be able to drive them across it. In 73 we had a flood where one pen of 50 or so feeders around 100 pounds were literally swimming and trying to climb on others backs before I got there. This pen was a hogwire fence with a hotwire a few inches off the bottom. I opened the gate and tried to drive them out, but they knew there was a hotwire under the water and wouldn,t cross it even though they were drowning. I had to catch every one of them and drag them across to turn them loose.
I do not recall ever having an electric over a concrete slab though.

Geezer in NH
04-25-2016, 05:28 PM
I would think with pigs the concrete will be moist. As a former electrician I used to make a grid under the cement slab to use as a ground. It worked when rods would not.

Hogtamer
04-25-2016, 08:34 PM
what farmerjim said....hog panels on cement and 3 hot wires along dirt, spaced 10 - 12" apart and from ground. They will push dirt up to first wire eventually and ground it out, so you'll have to watch that.

bayjoe
04-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Trust what starmac says he's knows what he's talking about.
You want to watch something funny, see a feral hog hit a hot wire. You'll laugh till you cry

almostgone
04-26-2016, 02:53 AM
2 hot wires the pig is the ground. Back in the day I kept 750 sows and 50-60 boars in 12 sow breeding/gestation groups in with 2 electric fence wires about 12 and 20 inches off the ground. Be sure to have a good ground on your fencer. pigs do have to be trained/conditioned to electric fencing but it doesn't take much, despite popular conception they are very smart.

Teddy (punchie)
04-26-2016, 05:47 AM
Only time I think you need a ground wire on fence line is in very dry conditions. Get a good fencer. Parmak are Okay. In winter the calves go right under.

After fence up and hot, take to ground on cement see if it snaps.

I use one barbed wire fence for cows. As long as charged and deer don't take it down they stay in.

Pigs dislike electric.

w5pv
04-26-2016, 09:50 AM
I had a Brindle Cur Dog that was bad about climbing the kennel fence so I put some electricy on the bottom and she would jump it and then I put a hot wire near the top but that did not stop her.She would climb the fence and start yelping and hollaring before reaching the top wire but being pig headed she would continue.If I had another need for a kennel it would have a top incorporated in the plans.

blackthorn
04-26-2016, 10:35 AM
This has nothing to do with pigs, but I can remember when my Dad and Uncle installed an electric fence on the farm in Manitoba. It would have been sometime in the mid to late 1940's. They spent all day installing the porcelain insulators on the fence posts and running the wire along on them. They had it all hooked up and my Dad was just finishing the last wire-tie on the last insulator when my Uncle turned it on. Dad bit through the stem on one of his favorite pipes! He took off after my Uncle who had started running as soon as he saw that pipe hit the ground. My Uncle thought it was a great joke---Dad?---not so much. That day I learned (along with a few new words) that my Uncle was a faster runner than my Dad, but then it may be that he just had more incentive. LOL

waksupi
04-26-2016, 10:47 AM
We always just used woven wire.

OS OK
04-26-2016, 11:20 AM
This has nothing to do with pigs, but I can remember when my Dad and Uncle installed an electric fence on the farm in Manitoba. It would have been sometime in the mid to late 1940's. They spent all day installing the porcelain insulators on the fence posts and running the wire along on them. They had it all hooked up and my Dad was just finishing the last wire-tie on the last insulator when my Uncle turned it on. Dad bit through the stem on one of his favorite pipes! He took off after my Uncle who had started running as soon as he saw that pipe hit the ground. My Uncle thought it was a great joke---Dad?---not so much. That day I learned (along with a few new words) that my Uncle was a faster runner than my Dad, but then it may be that he just had more incentive. LOL

Great story…I saw it happening as I read your post…:bigsmyl2:…My Dad was the same kind of jokester! Work hard, play harder…even if it kills ya!

OS OK