PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Report

TXGunNut
04-24-2016, 12:03 AM
Just got in from the Texas Gun Collectors Association show in Waco. I've quit going to gun shows but this one is different, predominantly antique firearms. No reloading stuff, no blowguns, no prepper stuff; just old guns & related items. Saw an awesome table of old Winchesters including four 1885's.:holysheep Also snagged a first edition copy of Wilson's coffee table Winchester book. I've had one on order from Amazon for awhile but they recently cancelled my backorder.
Got to examine more nice Winchesters than I've ever seen in one place outside of Cody and got to talk to several serious collectors. Learned quite a bit, one lesson was not to disagree with a seller about his assessment of a rifle's bore condition. I think I hurt his feelings but I really liked the rifle until I got a good look at the bore.
Enjoyed myself so much I joined the association and stuck around for the auction and dinner. Good bunch of folks, know how to put on a great show.

Mauser48
04-24-2016, 01:15 AM
At this gun show I go to they have a collection of vintage marlin 22 lever rifles. They are super high grades and in perfect shape. I will take pics next time. On one of the plaques it said that one of them was the finest know example in existence.

TXGunNut
04-24-2016, 01:48 AM
Check before taking pics, some shows discourage or outright forbid it. Tough to enforce with today's smart phones.

Mauser48
04-24-2016, 02:41 AM
Will do. I thought that might be something to consider.

Fishman
04-24-2016, 09:56 PM
I was planning on taking my son over to the show, but we had too much going on. Bummer. I've been before and you are right TXgunnut, it's a cool show and not like any other.

osteodoc08
04-26-2016, 02:13 AM
I remember my father taking me to the gun shows as a kid. Lots of interesting firearms for as far as you could see. 2 levels worth.

Now I rarely see anything of interest. If I do it is priced rather high. Still fun to fondle something rich in history, patina and wood. If it's not black or plastic, it's just not there. Tired of the BS prepper stuff and blow guns. Haven't been to one in well over a year. I'm sure I'll go to at least one this year in hopes of finding something decent, but alas, will likely return home more disenfranchised and disappointed.