View Full Version : We are pulling for you Sergeant Serna

Artful
04-23-2016, 05:08 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/22/judge-sentences-defendant-spends-night-in-jail-with-him.html?intcmp=hpbt4

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – A North Carolina judge sent a retired Special Forces sergeant to jail for violating probation — then spent the night in the cell with him.

News media outlets report Joe Serna, 41, who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder after three tours in Afghanistan, was diverted to Cumberland County Veterans Court after being charged with driving under the influence and other traffic offenses.

The court is designed to help troubled veterans avoid jail time and get the help they need. Serna was told to stay sober and return to the court every two weeks.

But when he appeared before Judge Lou Olivera, a Gulf War veteran, on April 12, Serna said he admitted that he had lied to the court and that his last urinalysis had been positive.

Olivera sentenced him to a night in jail and the next day drove him to nearby Lumberton to serve the time.

"When Joe first came to turn himself in, he was trembling," Olivera said. "I decided that I'd spend the night serving with him."

Serna said he was touched by the judge's action.

"They take me to the cell, and I'm sitting on my bunk. And, then, in walks the judge," he said. "I knew this was a very compassionate man."

He said the two spent the night talking about their military experiences.

"It was more of a father-son conversation as opposed to a judge talking to someone and sentencing them. It was personal," Serna said.

Olivera said he hopes the experience helps Serna.

"They have worn the uniform and we know they can be contributing members of society. We just want to get them back there," the judge said.

Alvarez Kelly
04-23-2016, 05:10 PM
Wow. Just wow. The screen is kinda blurry...

jmort
04-23-2016, 05:31 PM
One of the best legal stories ever.

robg
04-23-2016, 05:36 PM
That's a real judge

smokeywolf
04-23-2016, 05:39 PM
You too Artful?

Sorry, hadn't seen this post and just sort of duplicated it.

Yeah, my keyboard was getting a little blurry while I typed.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?305480-The-Right-Man-to-Judge-Our-Service-Men-and-Women

shredder
04-23-2016, 05:47 PM
We ask so much of military personnel, the experiences become overwhelming for some. We all need to remember what service does to the mind. Support is absolutely necessary, but then some folks will always just want to throw them away. We should never allow that to happen.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
04-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Wow. Just wow. The screen is kinda blurry...

Maybe,just maybe we'll make it thru this current mess we are in.Would love to shake that judges hand and buy him a beer:drinks:

smoked turkey
04-24-2016, 12:43 AM
At last a judge that "gets it". Very nice report. The judge not only did the noble thing, but I believe because of his actions, will get the results he hopes to instill in Mr. Serna.

Bad Water Bill
04-24-2016, 06:00 AM
I have maintained for over 50 years that EVERY military person must be un trained before being sent back to civilian life.

The military takes innocent young people and trains them to kill (yes that is just what we need to do to protect our country) but when we were discharged we were dumped on an un prepared and un willing society to understand what many vets have seen and done to protect America.

trapper9260
04-24-2016, 07:43 AM
I have maintained for over 50 years that EVERY military person must be un trained before being sent back to civilian life.

The military takes innocent young people and trains them to kill (yes that is just what we need to do to protect our country) but when we were discharged we were dumped on an un prepared and un willing society to understand what many vets have seen and done to protect America.

I 2nd that

MrWolf
04-24-2016, 09:13 AM

That is an excellent insight.

Rick N Bama
04-24-2016, 11:12 AM
We need that Judge in Alabama!

Elkins45
04-24-2016, 11:39 AM
That's a great story. Thanks for posting it.

Echo
04-24-2016, 09:49 PM
I 2nd that

Plus One...

Nose Dive
05-02-2016, 11:27 PM
Yep... He ain't the first one of us to 'fall off the wagon'....and spend the night in the drunk tank...Yep...mmmmm seem I know a fella 'real well' who has spent a few nights with 'new friends' until the Day Court Judge appeared in court.

Good luck old friend. It takes work and effort. Some folks I know are still tryinn every day.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.