PDA

View Full Version : Almost hate to tell on myself...

ShaneLyall
04-22-2016, 06:58 PM
While waiting for my pot to heat up, I got to thinking about these glooblits I had read about. My glue gun was hanging right there on the wall and, one thing lead to another. I picked up a couple primed 40 cases and my mold. I just forgot an important step. You should use some spray PAM or SOMETHING to help get the glooblit out. All I did was glue my spru plate to the mold and the two halves together. Smoking them it isn't enough! LOL!

Long story short, lacquer thinner, a tooth brush, and about 80 wrinkled up, sticky boolits, its good as new.

Tom W.
04-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Golly Wally, just look at the information you just acquired!:bigsmyl2:

country gent
04-22-2016, 07:16 PM
We learn form our mistakes and sometimes from others. Its ussually alot less work learning from others mistakes LOL. You learned and passed it on to others to learn from Good Job

rking22
04-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Gave me a ggigle reading that,, I can see myself having been the one to do it and then have to warn everyone else :)
Whats the old saying about idle hands and the devils work :P
Glad it cleaned up well, you have no doubt saved more of us a trip down that road!

jhalcott
04-22-2016, 07:28 PM
I THOUGHT I had cleaned the mold after making some 45cal glue boolits. Took a while to start getting good alloy boolits from that mold.

Texantothecore
04-22-2016, 07:29 PM
You saved me from doing exactly that. Lol.

randyrat
04-22-2016, 07:47 PM
I got as far as looking at the glue sticks and said; I wonder if they will stick, you answered my question

jsizemore
04-22-2016, 08:26 PM
I learned to work on many things from my mess ups. You don't tend to forget them!!! How about being a pal and pull my finger....

Mk42gunner
04-23-2016, 12:04 AM
Welcome aboard.

With a starting post like that, it has to get better.

Your story reminds me of the old saying "You learn by experience. You get experience by screwing up."

You're okay as long as you don't do it again, or at least don't tell anyone if you do.

Robert

1Hawkeye
04-23-2016, 12:36 AM
Don't feel bad, one of the guys I shoot with did a similar thing. He decided he wanted custom ear plugs but thought 35.00 was to expensive if I remember right he used jb weld but being an old timer he didn't trim his ear hair. It took a pair of needle nose and a couple of good yanks to get them out. Then he figured 35 bucks was a deal.

paraord
04-23-2016, 07:14 AM
And then I looked up glooblits....this looks fun haha!

w5pv
04-23-2016, 07:29 AM
Good post,

Walter Laich
04-23-2016, 08:44 AM
We've all had similar stories

MrWolf
04-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Great first post. Welcome aboard!

Freightman
04-23-2016, 12:42 PM
I found some glue sticks that just fit snug in a 45ACP case -drill out primmer pocket shove glue stick in, prim, cut to desired length, works great and will knock a tree rat out of the tree. lol

Digital Dan
04-23-2016, 04:06 PM
Don't feel bad, one of the guys I shoot with did a similar thing. He decided he wanted custom ear plugs but thought 35.00 was to expensive if I remember right he used jb weld but being an old timer he didn't trim his ear hair. It took a pair of needle nose and a couple of good yanks to get them out. Then he figured 35 bucks was a deal.

Rollin' here, thanks for the laff.

ShaneLyall
04-23-2016, 05:16 PM
So I just got back from an IDPA match and, needing to cast a few bullets, I thought, "I'm not going to let this whip me." I grabbed a mold I don't use much this time....just in case. After spraying the mold with cooking spray and heated up the glue gun I gave it another shot. I did swing the sprue plate open this time and filled it up. It actually worked this time! I only shot a few while waiting on the pot to heat but, out to about 15-20 feet, they will pop a hole in a cardboard box. I slicked the cases up inside as well and just pushed them almost all the way in (think wadcutter) The best part is you can shoot them 4-5 times if you shoot into a box full of rags or something that will catch them.

Another plus, I think the barrel is actually pretty clean. I didn't look before but after the match (100-125 rounds) I'm sure it was pretty dirty. After about 10 glue bullets, it looks clean.

runfiverun
04-23-2016, 11:34 PM
just a word of warning.
I have to post this from time so many here have seen it before.

do not put powder under the gluelits.
and especially do not shoot them at your thin metal garage door no matter how many bulls-eyes the kids draw on the 1-1/2" insulation.
and super especially do not put powder under them and shoot them at the thin metal garage door with the 1-1/2" insulation, if the wife's new Chevy Malibu is parked in the driveway outside that door.
and super duper never ever,,,,, ever, especially for sure do not do that if it is a new year model and spare headlight parts are not available from the dealer just yet.

BigEyeBob
04-24-2016, 01:24 AM
just a word of warning.

and especially do not shoot them at your thin metal garage door no matter how many bulls-eyes the kids draw on the 1-1/2" insulation.
and super especially do not put powder under them and shoot them at the thin metal garage door with the 1-1/2" insulation, if the wife's new Chevy Malibu is parked in the driveway outside that door.
and super duper never ever,,,,, ever, especially for sure do not do that if it is a new year model and spare headlight parts are not available from the dealer just yet.

How do you know these things ,,,,, Grasshopper?
Wax on Wax off.

FatherAbraham
04-24-2016, 09:14 AM
just a word of warning.

Wow!! Hope the dog didn't mind having a new roommate for awhile...

C. Latch
04-24-2016, 09:30 AM
This thread is hilarious.

FWIW, when I first started casting, I got a new Lee mold to start with and wanted to 'do something' with it, but knew I didn't have time that day to actually melt lead (and I was still a bit intimidated by the process anyway) so I melted some coconut oil and cast a few bullets from coconut oil. No idea what use they'd be, but it let me be hands-on with a mold.

nagantguy
04-24-2016, 09:44 AM
I don't know why when I read read these posts about less than brilliant things we have all done why I feel it's a competition, guess maybe cause I like to think when I mess up it has to be the biggest, worst dumbest thing in the world, sorry to thread jack here but I'm gonna tell on my self...this very morning in a fit of brilliance I told my young beautiful wife that her help building the new dog run wasn't help at all but just making more work for me.......sometimes the filter from head to mouth goes out of wack, instead of being mad at me or firing back I could see that I'd hurt her feelings, cut her deep, when I started to apologize it sounded so hollow and meaningless that I just shut up, I'm not posting this really to be funny I want to out myself as a jerk and want to wear the title of world's dumbest man at least for today.

jsizemore
04-24-2016, 10:28 AM
just a word of warning.

So that's why you took to wearing suspenders!

C. Latch
04-24-2016, 11:12 AM
I'm not posting this really to be funny I want to out myself as a jerk and want to wear the title of world's dumbest man at least for today.

I've been there.

:(

runfiverun
04-24-2016, 11:26 AM
i'll just say it's a good thing the wife isn't logged in and posting on this thread.
it'd probably look like a book with chapters and dates of all the ummm, 'stuff' I have done.

heck, just in the time we have lived in this house would probably be a follow up edition.

Blackwater
04-24-2016, 01:58 PM
I suspect all of us, and particularly the old heads here, have done a number of bone-headed things. Somehow, we seem to be able to grasp defeat from the mouth of victory in ways that never seem to have an end. In my own case, I was sizing/lubing some bullets for my .44 Spec., Lee 200 RNFP's, and THOUGHT I had the right top punch. I kept getting lube squirting out beneath the bullet, and couldn't figure it out. Switched over to another lube/sizer, and the sizer die and top punch went with it, and same problem. Could NOT figure it out. Posted here, and somebody told me to check the top punch. I scoffed, saying, "I'd never make THAT mistake!" But I was WRONG! Sure enough, I finally decided to go check it, and sure enough, I'd picked up the wrong top punch! A .45 instead of .44! Put the right top punch in and .... voila'! Problem gone!

What's that old saying? "To err is human, to forgive divine?" In my case though, I could only do the "Wow! I could've had a V-8" thing, and then just laugh at myself. It's good to be humbled now and then when we're dealing with something that CAN be dangerous if we mess up in some ways. I sure am glad nobody was looking when I did this, though! I hate making mistakes. Especially the foolish and negligent kind!

paraord
04-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Runfiverun, as I kept ready I kept laughing louder and louder. Hope the other half was OK with clear tape on the light for a little bit!

aephilli822
04-25-2016, 08:19 AM
I don't know why when I read read these posts about less than brilliant things we have all done why I feel it's a competition, guess maybe cause I like to think when I mess up it has to be the biggest, worst dumbest thing in the world, sorry to thread jack here but I'm gonna tell on my self...this very morning in a fit of brilliance I told my young beautiful wife that her help building the new dog run wasn't help at all but just making more work for me.......sometimes the filter from head to mouth goes out of wack, instead of being mad at me or firing back I could see that I'd hurt her feelings, cut her deep, when I started to apologize it sounded so hollow and meaningless that I just shut up, I'm not posting this really to be funny I want to out myself as a jerk and want to wear the title of world's dumbest man at least for today.

Send her a link to this post

(and flowers)

fingers284
04-25-2016, 11:41 AM
just a word of warning.

Likewise for the Alum. slats on the new deck in a rural surrounding that the wife & I worked 35 yrs to afford...Reminder to self...When fireforming brass for 38-56, make sure bore is pointed above railing line, that insignificant little glue plug used to hold 10 gr of Unique and and a bit of cornmeal can leave monumental tell-tail signs of stupidity that "She Who Must Be Obeyed with the memory of an Elefhant" can spot in a heartbeat.

claude
04-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Made my day gentlemen, a belly laugh does wonders!!

ghh3rd
04-25-2016, 12:21 PM
At least you didn't decide to make epoxy boolits!