PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic cleaner with Citric Acid

PBaholic
04-20-2016, 07:51 PM
I just started using Citric Acid and Distilled water to clean Brass in my Ultrasonic cleaner. Can anyone help with a few things?

1. How often do you change the cleaner? After a batch of 100 or so .38's, the cleaner went from perfectly clear to black. I put it in a clear bottle, and let it sit overnight, and the particles sank to the bottom. If I carefully pour it, I can keep the liquid fairly clear.

2. The pockets of the primers are not cleaning well. I have to keep running the cleaning cycle. If I do a really small batch, they seem to clean well in one cycle. This is a Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner. Does a different Ultrasonic cleaner work better?

3. How long should I air dry before priming? I bounce the brass in a towel, and then put it under a fan for a half hour or so, then put it in my PC oven at 350 for 10 minutes, and then back under the fan. They appear dry, and I have no water clogging the primer hole, but do I still need to wait?

4. A few of the primer pockets have a cloudy appearance inside the pocket when it's dry. It almost looks like some of the cleaner was still left on when it dried, but I'm real careful when I rinse them. I soak them in water about 30 seconds while and repeatedly draining the soak water and replacing it a few times. Then they go in a strainer, and get another 30 seconds of water run over them, while I stir them by hand. Is there a better way?

5. Some of the brass turns pink. It seemed like it was worse when the cleaner got dirtier. I removed the pink ones, and soaked them in a little Tarnx, and they came clean, but what's going on here? Is my mix too strong, or is there something else I can add?

Keith

runfiverun
04-20-2016, 09:36 PM
pink is too much time in the mix.
it's not a huge deal.

now black is the zinc being oxidizes by the acid.

I'd wash the cases in the thingy and then give them a rinse in hot water and air dry.
putting them in the oven just tarnishes the cases, kind of defeating the whole reason to get them clean.

PBaholic
04-20-2016, 09:42 PM
Putting them in the oven just tarnishes the cases, kind of defeating the whole reason to get them clean.

I'm not getting tarnishing.

runfiverun
04-21-2016, 10:20 AM
the 10 minutes might be why.
I don't know if that's long enough to even warm the brass up.

I just wash, rinse, shake as much water out as I can, and let them sit overnight to dry.

PBaholic
04-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Citric acid and Distilled water gets the outside of the case clean pretty fast. It seems I'm probably expecting the Primer Pocket to clean better.

I just did some .357, and used my Lyman primer cleaner on the pocket before I threw them in the ultra sonic cleaner, and they seemed to be pretty clean.

farmerjim
04-21-2016, 01:11 PM
I have HF 2 qt ultrasonic. I do about 300 9mm per batch, 1 teaspoon citric acid, dab of dish soap Tap water. 15 min hot water (heater on) 1/2 the time with the ultrasonic on Stir the cases between each on cycle. scoop out the cases and rinse twice in fresh tap water. Put cases in large towel and tumble brass by alternating the sides of the towel up and down. Dry cases 10 min in convection oven. Tumble cases in ground walnut for 10 min with NuFinish. Most of the primer pockets are clean, and all the cases are shinny with a slight wax coat. I change the water every 2 or 3 batches. Brass cleaned over a year ago is still bright and shiny.