PDA

View Full Version : rendezvous rifle question

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-19-2016, 08:19 AM
looking at a few used TC rifles , would like to be able to shoot at Rendezvous also , they are not overly picky at the one at the one near by last year was my first year attending I saw a number of cabelas and tc hawkens , but my question is about the new englander I like that gun and see 2 for sale also a hawkens for the same price but I like the single trigger

is a new englander to modern?

I figured some one here might know

Maven
04-19-2016, 08:58 AM
GCP, There are many who will tell you none of T/C's flintlocks or cap locks are remotely historically or period correct. However, that being said, they are reliable (especially the cap locks), versatile (1:48 twist will handle both RB's and conicals), and accurate. Examine the guns in question carefully (bore wear/pitting and crown), and go with what fits you better.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Thanks Maven , I have twice the 4-H muzzle loader shooters I have had in past years so I am thinking about using that as an excuse to buy another muzzle loader

johnson1942
04-19-2016, 10:05 AM
the thompson hawken was styled after the michigan school of muzzleloaders. it is a little known style of muzzleloaders but again the thompson hawken is from that style. the modern back sight is of course modern. if you took the back sight off and installed a open sight you would have a muzzle loader that was correct, if your into that. the thompson hawken is a solid good muzzle loader and will shoot a round ball very well. find one with a good barrel and take care of it and have fun.

waksupi
04-19-2016, 10:19 AM
I think I wold contact some of the local clubs that hold the shoots, and ask their opinion.

Old Scribe
04-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Normally in this area acceptable rifles for use at Rendezvous are open iron sites and patched round ball. Other than that and some safety rules most Rendezvous want everyone to have a good time.
Find a rifle that fits you, in good shape and go have fun!

Sharpsman
04-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Remember....you have got to walk....or either ride a horse to the rendezvous site!!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Remember....you have got to walk....or either ride a horse to the rendezvous site!!

you have to walk from the parking lot , but Ice comes in by horse

and you need to build a wood box around your cooler , when you pull two craft brews from your cooler you must discreetly pour them into your period cup and get the bottles out of sight again

it's fun and it's something different than the usual which is everyone staring at their phone anywhere you go.

anyplace where the kids are encouraged to carry and practice tomahawk throwing is my kind of place

Golfswithwolves
04-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Mr. GCPete- The rendezvous which I have gone to have not been all that picky about which rifle you use as long as it fires a round ball and uses a traditional-type lock (inline rifles would not be appropriate). So I reckon that the New Englander would not be too modern to fit in OK. Remember though that if you like the rendezvous you might soon want to have a rifle which is a real traditional type; it might make horse sense to get such a gun first and then you won't want to change it out.

mooman76
04-19-2016, 04:39 PM
I think most aren't that picky was some are real picky. Like stated, you really have to ask each individual one to get their perspective. Someone mentioned a cooler here. While some would except it being hidden and pouring into a period cup, some still would not allow even that, but I think those are few.

rfd
04-19-2016, 05:29 PM
a rondy depicting what era? if before the early 1800's, that'd require a flinter, else flint or cap will do. for value and reliability, i can highly recommend the lyman brand of investarms muzzleloaders. they won't be perfectly period correct, but close enuf.

waarp8nt
04-19-2016, 06:37 PM
I would do like others before have mentioned and contact some local clubs to see what they prefer the members shoot. I would check with more than one club, we have two clubs within 30 miles of each other and we are a relatively small community.

If you like the T/C Hawken, but not the double trigger you can always replace the double with a single trigger for $35 on various websites.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-19-2016, 10:20 PM
a rondy depicting what era? if before the early 1800's, that'd require a flinter, else flint or cap will do. for value and reliability, i can highly recommend the lyman brand of investarms muzzleloaders. they won't be perfectly period correct, but close enuf.

for this one pre 1840 and cap locks are a common sight.

OverMax
04-20-2016, 08:23 AM
Just saying. I'd be less concerned with a trigger and more concerned with their butt plates. Not everyone likes set triggers. {That's a given.} And not everyone can handle the felt recoil from a crescent style brass butt plate during repeated firings. {That's a known.} Although traditional rifles are heavy they still produce bruising recoil. My advice: Buy the New Englander. You'll get that preferred factory installed single bow trigger and the of bonus of being able to easily cover its musket style butt plate with a slip-on recoil pad.

rfd
04-20-2016, 08:40 AM
any crescent butt stock is easily tamed with a lace-on recoil pad such as the kick killers i use for muzzleloading and bpcr rifles.

http://traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/tradml/imgs/f2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Jj81jCG.jpg

since yer rondy is well into the caplock era, you'd fit right in with a lyman trade caplock ... i this particular rifle is the best value in its class, and unlike some of its peers is better built and you can remove the breech plug if need be.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/includes/img/lyman/muzzle-loaders/ml_tr.jpg

Standing Bear
04-20-2016, 09:07 AM
If a crescent butt plate is painful when the gun is fired then the gun has not been mounted properly. Crescent plates should be mounted just between the bicep and the shoulder and the elbow straight out.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-20-2016, 09:18 AM
I made my own to cover the crescent but plate on my CVA Kentucky i think I cut 3 thicknesses of leather to serve as the cushion inside the cover , it works nicely just enough to take the sharp corners down
the boot laces I used to lace it up are not exactly period but could be replaced with leather

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-20-2016, 09:26 AM
when the crescent but plate was made for some one who wears a size medium shirt and you fill a XXXL it pinches some of you in a less than comfortable way it still keeps much of it's crescent shape but not as deep.

aephilli822
04-25-2016, 11:05 AM
If a crescent butt plate is painful when the gun is fired then the gun has not been mounted properly. Crescent plates should be mounted just between the bicep and the shoulder and the elbow straight out.

Outside the shoulder, on the arm, just inside the bicep? Not in the "pocket" of the shoulder?

mooman76
04-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Outside the shoulder, on the arm, just inside the bicep? Not in the "pocket" of the shoulder?

That is correct, for the guns with the crescent but plate.

daleraby
04-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Anyone who shoots a heavy load with a crescent butt plate mounted incorrectly will learn with a wealth of detail why you don't put it against your shoulder!

I own several New Englanders. Very versatile guns, if not exactly "period correct". Only thing I don't like about 'em is the shiny finish on the stock. Prefer linseed oil.