PDA

View Full Version : Accidental "Beagling"

Ricochet
05-09-2008, 06:22 PM
This may strike many of you as totally obvious, but I just made a discovery of a cause of unexpectedly large and oval, sometimes finned, boolits with Lee 6-hole moulds. (This is something I've long had problems with, and it's always baffled me when I couldn't find anything holding the blocks apart like a bit of lead, scorched mould lube, etc.)

When you're holding the mould handles squeezed together to keep the blocks closed, if you also squeeze the sprue plate handle (which seems natural to me, to hold a finger over it and include it in the grip of the handles), it springs the front of the blocks apart. Doesn't take much squeezing to do it. The diameters of the boolits coming out of the different cavities will then vary, smallest in the back next to the handles, largest in front where there may be fins.

Proper procedure is to close the blocks, firmly close the sprue plate, then KEEP YOUR FINGERS OFF IT as you hold the mould handles shut while filling the mould.

Hope that keeps somebody from having the aggravation I've had with seemingly inexplicable size variation!

Steelbanger
05-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Interesting discovery Ricochet. I recently found a few finned bullets from a Lee 6-banger & wondered how that happened. If I can remember this I'm going to watch what squeezing the sprueplate handle does when I cast again next fall. Thanks for being so observant.

MT Gianni
05-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the solution to an occasional puzzle. Gianni

StrawHat
05-10-2008, 05:44 AM
Yet another good tip from Ricochet!

Keep up the good work.

flinchnjerk
05-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Ricochet
Here's hoping that your tux gets back from the cleaners in time for the Nobel banquet. You just solved a depressing, perplexing and infuriating intermittent "finning" problem that I've been having with my irreplaceable Lee mould (well, it'd be replaceable were I willing to pony up the wad of currency that Lee'd want for a one-off). After reading your post, I attached the handles to the mould, took my usual gorilla grip around all three chunks of wood and squeezed while looking at the block ends. Sure enough. Let there be light. It may indeed have been obvious to most, but I wouldn't have figured that out while waiting for today's plutonium to decay into castable lead. Thanks. Perhaps your post should be "stickied".

Dale53
05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
While I had previously discovered this on my own, this is definitely a worthy tip!

Thanks for sharing!

Dale53

NSP64
05-12-2008, 02:07 PM
:drinks: Glad to see I wasn't the only one doing this! Figured out what I was doing last week, Didn't say anything (I felt too stupid).

Ricochet
05-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I've messed up plenty. Usually learn something from it. I'm happy to pass along what I've learned, FWIW.

Calamity Jake
05-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Created my 30 Caliber machinegun Mould

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/CalamityJake/30Caliber_MachineGun_Mould.jpg

Ricochet
05-14-2008, 09:19 AM
That belt feed system really speeds up loading.

Curly James
05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Ricochet,

You are a genuis. I have been trying to figure out why I sometimes get finned boolits out of my Lee six bangers and now I know. This was driving me crazy with one mold and when I thought about it, I realized i was doing exactly what you described. Thank you.