PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own one of those Japanese 4x4 mini trucks?

atlas366
04-18-2016, 08:56 AM
I was looking at UTVs and stumbled on these Kei-Trucks. Pretty neat, affordable, 4x4, low gears, heater, street legal (except for interstate) in my state. The driver's side is on the right, but otherwise maintenance is my only concern. I've always kept a small pickup in the stable in addition to the two daily drivers and one that can do double duty as a UTV is appealing.

Ural Driver
04-18-2016, 09:39 AM
I have looked at the Daihatsu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Hijet)and Daewoo versions as errand runner and a hunting truck. These would do 85% of what my ATV does at a comfort level well above what I currently get. My issue is that they cannot be registered for street use in Texas. If that changes I will probably buy one. :idea:

bruce drake
04-18-2016, 09:52 AM
I've seen those little trucks operating all through out Asia and Europe. I'd love to get one as well. I would think the issue comes the standard safety requirements needed for vehicles in the US would stop it from being registered for on-road use. Then again, The Smart Car along with the Cooper Minis and Fiat 500s are tiny yet they can get registered.

EMC45
04-18-2016, 10:01 AM
I drove them in Japan. Some of the ones we had had V Twin motorcycle engines in them under the bed. We also had vans. None of ours were 4X4 though. The were all 2WD. All right hand drive with a manual trans.

Mica_Hiebert
04-18-2016, 10:06 AM
The reason alot of places dont allow them for street use is they are not crash test certified and most do not meet emission test standards they are imported as off road vehicles but places that allow you to register and drive 4 wheelers to drive on roads will let you license these. most of the time they typically have low milage because japan has weird laws where I believe your engine has to be replace in like 30,000 miles for emission reasons. you used to be able to get used motors from japan with very low miles for hondas and toyotas. companies imported them after they hit their maximum milage alowed by law over there. I think going price on these mini trucks is around $6000

Teddy (punchie)
04-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Always like the small trucks, buddy had a ford ranger boy was it a good little truck. Older 80's

Newer , Nissan an makes a nice small truck, an other buddy has a few, all go good in the mud snow.

Tenbender
04-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Real men don't drive toy trucks ! :oops:

atlas366
04-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Practical men might though. :-P Pragmatic tools have a beauty of their own.
I currently have one of the Mazda - Ford Ranger clones. Great little truck. It does what I need it to do and I don't have to drive it like a bus in a parking lot. The full-sized offerings from Chevy, Ford and Dodge have just gotten gargantuan. Some of the dudes that drive them can barely park the things.

Isaac
04-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Practical men might though. :-P Pragmatic tools have a beauty of their own.
I currently have one of the Mazda - Ford Ranger clones. Great little truck. It does what I need it to do and I don't have to drive it like a bus in a parking lot. The full-sized offerings from Chevy, Ford and Dodge have just gotten gargantuan. Some of the dudes that drive them can barely park the things.

Agreed. Why do the modern trucks have to be so large? Used to be able to reach over the side and into the bed of my '80 F250 and 82, 96 F-150's and 86 GMC 2500 that I drove at work. Why do we need 17-20 inch tires? Ford, GM and Dodge have been making Crew Cabs for 50 years or so. Suddenly they have to be the size of a school bus (exaggeration, but you get my point). What about modern day diesels? Coal rolling? Exhausts as large as a small sewer pipe. :?:

rondog
04-18-2016, 12:19 PM
I think we need photos of these little trucks you're asking about.....

atlas366
04-18-2016, 12:35 PM

Hickory
04-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Real men don't drive toy trucks ! :oops:

Real men can drive anything they want!!!

waksupi
04-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Real men can drive anything they want!!!

I used to drive a Subaru, as only lesbians drive them. I find I have some very strong lesbian tendencies.

There are a couple of those little utes in this area, apparently street legal.

mac60
04-18-2016, 03:53 PM
I used to drive a Subaru, as only lesbians drive them. I find I have some very strong lesbian tendencies.

Now - that there is funny.:bigsmyl2:

atlas366
04-18-2016, 04:06 PM

I actually came across an article on MT minis. It is a good synopsis of their virtues.
http://billingsgazette.com/business/tiny-trucks-make-sense-for-growing-number-of-montanans/article_3516f472-343a-5b19-a7a9-28bd31d17531.html

Markbo
04-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Older Suzuki Samurai or Isuzu Trooper or Rodeo can do all these little things can do for probably less money with great comfort and reliability. I've had a Trooper for a camp vehicle.for over 10 years and its great.

Lloyd Smale
04-18-2016, 04:14 PM
theres was one for sale here a couple years ago. I thought it would be pretty cool to run back and forth to camp in until I test drove it. It topped out at about 45 and you feel kind of silly being passed by everyone. Acceleration made my 4 cyl wrangler seem like a sports car and if you ever drove a 4cyl wrangler youll get a chuckle out of that.

Markbo
04-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Older Suzuki Samurai or Isuzu Trooper or Rodeo can do all these little things can do for probably less money with great comfort and reliability - and street legal. I've had a Trooper for a camp vehicle.for over 10 years and its great.

LaPoint
04-18-2016, 04:42 PM
In Minnesota most of them are light enough fit in one of the UTV/ATV classes if you mount "flotation" tires on them. Once licensed as such they can be driven on municipal and county roads but not U.S. highways. My BIL has one that he uses as a maintenance vehicle at his U-Store business. They have their place.

Mk42gunner
04-18-2016, 05:02 PM
One of our neighbors had a two wheel drive one back in the seventies. I remember it had a Kawasaki engine, and if you got stuck two teenagers could pick up the rear end and move it to get traction. It reminded me of a 3/4 scale Econoline pickup.

One reason they top out at ~45mph is most speed limits in Japan are 35mph IIRC it has been almost twenty years since I lived there.

Robert

JeffinNZ
04-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Thinking about a Suzuki down the line when I have time to go hunting again. The older ones had a fine reputation. Could go up the wall of a house.

I don't need to drive a large vehicle to feel manly.

Mal Paso
04-18-2016, 06:30 PM
I sat in one 4x4 mini a buddy bought, like the picture only white. I'm 6'2" and my knees were next to my ears. The friend is shorter than myself and could actually drive the thing but he put on weight and I don't think it fits any more.

GRUMPA
04-18-2016, 06:50 PM
I did some researching since I've been following this thread. Something that the other country pretty much throws away just had me thinking. Seems they're glad to get rid of them, kinda like someone trying there best to unload a problem vehicle in this country. Something with a rather small engine with 50K+ miles on them and the price to me just doesn't set well. I'm sure spare parts as well as the engine can be somewhat of a trick when you need them. I found some reference to engines and they're used engines, not new, and for what they are aren't what I would call cheap.

Although the gas mileage is impressive, the pure economics sounds pretty nice.

I seem to be behind the times, things seem to be getting more and more expensive for something more and more used. Granted I only went into about 5 different sites which most seemed lacking on prices. I went into evilbay and found them a lot cheaper....

jonp
04-18-2016, 07:52 PM
I've seen those little trucks operating all through out Asia and Europe. I'd love to get one as well. I would think the issue comes the standard safety requirements needed for vehicles in the US would stop it from being registered for on-road use. Then again, The Smart Car along with the Cooper Minis and Fiat 500s are tiny yet they can get registered.
Wife has a Fiat 500. Over 100K with nothing but oil changes and she won't part with it for anything. It is quite a hoot to drive and gets about 42mpg.

jandbj
04-18-2016, 08:02 PM
This thread makes me miss my Suzuki Samurai with 31's that I had back in the mid 90's. I loved that goofy little rig.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-18-2016, 08:06 PM
a local farm implement dealer (they also sell Suzuki motorcycles) had one or two of these Asian mini trucks last summer. They were advertised as used, I recall the price was around $4k ...but I could be wrong?

For my uses, I really prefer a mid-size 4x4 ATV or a full size pickup...I.personally, don't need anything in between.

MaryB
04-18-2016, 09:41 PM
I had a Ford Courier back in the 80's. Tough little truck and a blast to drive. Hauled parts for the stock car with it, camped from the bed...

Plate plinker
04-18-2016, 10:17 PM
A rancher buddy had one he said it operated cheap and made a great little fence maintenance buggy.

minmax
04-18-2016, 11:51 PM
I've always thought that those mini trucks were pretty cool. There are a few around here I see driving around, and in a town near by a dealer had a few for sale but no 4x4's. I think it would be a great little toy but that's it.
I wish they still made the Suzuki Samurai.
I had a 92 Jeep Comanche, the last year they made them. I loved that truck more than any vehicle I haved own.
Had to sell due to 3 corneal transplants and not working for 2 years. I've had several CJ's and a newer Wrangler, but still miss that truck.

RPRNY
04-19-2016, 12:22 AM
I actually came across an article on MT minis. It is a good synopsis of their virtues.
http://billingsgazette.com/business/tiny-trucks-make-sense-for-growing-number-of-montanans/article_3516f472-343a-5b19-a7a9-28bd31d17531.html

Regardless of one's opinion on Kei trucks, quoting the Billings Gazette is like quoting the Village Voice. BG has become an essentially Missoulan propaganda vehicle. If the Gazette likes mini trucks there's a violently leftist conspiracy in it somewhere. ;-)

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Screwbolts
04-19-2016, 08:07 AM

That there is the Truth!!! :-)

atlas366
04-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Regardless of one's opinion on Kei trucks, quoting the Billings Gazette is like quoting the Village Voice. BG has become an essentially Missoulan propaganda vehicle. If the Gazette likes mini trucks there's a violently leftist conspiracy in it somewhere. ;-)

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Good to know. It seems many places have such a rag. I'm sure they were hooked by the high gas mileage, which for me, is just a point of personal pragmatism and not a religion.

Beau Cassidy
04-19-2016, 08:44 AM
They look a lot more utilitarian than a standard 4 wheeler at about the same price or cheaper. I see that a lot of them even have 4-wheeler style tires. They are certainly less than a regular UTV. I have been in the market for something along the size of the Japanese Mini Trucks but am leaning towards electric due to no noise when hunting. Kinda leaning towards the Club Car 500 which is much nicer than a regular golf cart and has a bed.

Messy bear
04-19-2016, 11:11 AM
I have one of these things. It gets used every day for chores. Its nice in the winter when you have to drive miles to check water for livestock with the heated cab. Very economical to run. Mine has hydraulic dump bed with real engine driven pump. Always hauling and dumping stuff with it. Just used it recently to haul scoria to put around water tanks. Nice to load stuff into as the sides drop down on about a 6.5 foot bed. I even haul smaller (800 lb) round bales out with it to feed. Back up to edge of hill, cut twine and dump off. Bale rolls out and spreads itself.

atlas366
04-19-2016, 11:36 AM
I have one of these things. It gets used every day for chores. Its nice in the winter when you have to drive miles to check water for livestock with the heated cab. Very economical to run. Mine has hydraulic dump bed with real engine driven pump. Always hauling and dumping stuff with it. Just used it recently to haul scoria to put around water tanks. Nice to load stuff into as the sides drop down on about a 6.5 foot bed. I even haul smaller (800 lb) round bales out with it to feed. Back up to edge of hill, cut twine and dump off. Bale rolls out and spreads itself.

Very nice. Have you managed to get it stuck yet? They seem pretty nimble.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-19-2016, 12:45 PM
I've always thought that those mini trucks were pretty cool. There are a few around here I see driving around, and in a town near by a dealer had a few for sale but no 4x4's. I think it would be a great little toy but that's it.
I wish they still made the Suzuki Samurai.
I had a 92 Jeep Comanche, the last year they made them. I loved that truck more than any vehicle I haved own.
Had to sell due to 3 corneal transplants and not working for 2 years. I've had several CJ's and a newer Wrangler, but still miss that truck.
I had a 86 Comanche with a 2.5l 4 cyl engine. Like you, I loved the truck, but was seriously underpowered with that engine, I wish it had the 6 cyl engine...if it did, I'd probably still have that truck today.

Mtnfolk75
04-19-2016, 04:16 PM
From 93' to 08' I ran Samurai's with P235's as a knock around & hunting vehicle, living in the mountains they were seldom out of low range due to being very under powered. In 08' I went to a Yamaha Rhino 700EFI, loved that little thing. Upgraded to a CanAm Commander XT1000 in 2012 ..... and hated that damn thing, had way too much power & was way too loud. In October 15' I bought a Honda Pioneer 500, the best of the 3 for what I do by a long shot. I sometimes think about another Samurai, but then my Sciatica Nerve strats acting up and I remember why I got out of them. My 06' Jeep Wrangler Unlimited does a much better job of being a daily Driver & Play Toy when it is too cold for the Honda ... :-P

Tackleberry41
04-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Its a bit shocking what these little utility ATVs are going for. A vehicle with little more than an engine and seats can cost as much as an actual car. Even the Chinese made ones at tractor supply are 7-8 grand.

Theres one of those little trucks running around here in TN. I have no idea if its tagged, its really rural here, doubtful he would get stopped anyways. But odd you can buy an actual truck for less than a 4 wheeler.

Messy bear
04-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Very nice. Have you managed to get it stuck yet? They seem pretty nimble.
Oh ya. But it doesn't take much to get it out. Sometimes I get in a spot that gets one wheel off the ground. Then I engage the locking rear axle and usually you can get out. The low range is very handy as it lacks power.