PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic stocks...too noisy

Maineboy
04-15-2016, 11:33 AM
I've convinced myself that I really need a stainless steel synthetic stock rifle for hunting in bad weather. The only stainless-synthetic rifle I own is a Ruger American in 243 and I want a rifle in 30-06. A 308 is also acceptable but I don't want to get into a caliber that I don't currently reload. The Ruger is very noisy when brush or a branch drags across it while walking in the woods, something I don't experience with any of my wood stocked rifles so I probably won't buy another Ruger. Is anyone aware of a synthetic stock currently offered by a gun manufacturer that is quieter? I really don't want to buy a rifle then have to purchase an aftermarket stock.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Even if you are talking about frictional noise, it can be somewhat quietened down by filling it with injected polyurethane foam. You wouldn't get much of a note from a solid violin.

Maineboy
04-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Even if you are talking about frictional noise, it can be somewhat quietened down by filling it with injected polyurethane foam. You wouldn't get much of a note from a solid violin.

Hmmmm...worth a try.

jcren
04-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Ask a local spray-in bed liner company to shoot it for you. Most will do it cheaply because the coating must be used once mixed and they usually discard some anyway.

Tenbender
04-15-2016, 03:06 PM
Howa. Great rifle and with a soft stock like a Hogue. May be a Hogue. I use one in a 223 for coyote's.

Maineboy
04-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Howa. Great rifle and with a soft stock like a Hogue. May be a Hogue. I use one in a 223 for coyote's.

Thanks. According to their website they are Hogues.

yovinny
04-15-2016, 03:53 PM
The hogue is much quieter...And why I have them on a few hunting rifles.

But are you really sure you want quiet ?
Loud noisy plastic is just all the rage today.
Just look at all the kydex holsters they sell, that a draw can be heard from the next county :roll:

pietro
04-15-2016, 09:04 PM

I find or make a channel to the interior of my synthetic stocks, then inject the expanding foam home insulation product ($4/can @ HomeCheapo, Lowe's, etc) therein- cutting off any expanded overflow with a single-edge razor blade.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-16-2016, 04:38 AM
Ask a local spray-in bed liner company to shoot it for you. Most will do it cheaply because the coating must be used once mixed and they usually discard some anyway.

Truck bed rather than furniture, I earnestly trust? It is unfamiliar to us in the UK, where the climate begs for a covered van, but that is good information, for which much thanks.

runfiverun
04-16-2016, 09:47 AM
you can coat the whole vehicle with the stuff.
a lot of guy's do it here on the older trucks.
I'm considering doing the bottom half on my old Bronco to stop the rust.
and fill in the holes it already has.

Wayne Smith
04-18-2016, 12:25 PM
I think that 'truck bed liner' is the same stuff the US Navy uses on their decks, only inches thick. Years ago I was on board a Assault Ship and the flight deck was covered with something that looked the same as the bed liner. If that is true it is truly good stuff!

Ballistics in Scotland
04-19-2016, 03:15 PM
In that case it must be fireproof. I remember an account by a German naval officer who saw his beautifully decorated wardroom desecrated on the mobilization of 1914, by having all internal paintwork chipped down to the metal.