PDA

View Full Version : Movin' on up

hendere
04-12-2016, 10:21 PM
I've struggled with a Lee 10 pound production pot for many, many years. I've certainly got my money's worth out of it but it's never been easy. Many times in the past it started leaking equally as much on accident than on purpose. About the time I was ready to give up, it would slow down enough to keep it. Three weeks ago it started leaking (bad) again and I just can't seem to get it to stop. I know all the tricks, they just aren't working this time and I decided to get a new one twenty pound Lee. I kept reading all the reviews but a huge number of people that love them still say they leak. I'm frustrated and I think I'd throw it through the window if I got a new one and it leaks as bad as my old friend. I just bit the bullet and ordered an RCBS Pro-Melt. I think I'm even more excited about this than I've been over most of the guns I've ever picked up. I hope it lives up to it's reputation. :)

country gent
04-12-2016, 10:28 PM
The Lees are decent equipment that does work at an somewhat inexpensive price point. Your now moving up to one of the better pots on the market. The diffrence should be night and day. I ladle cast all my bullets still. But have used the Lee 10 lb pots and they could be a pain with the drips and leaks. I once considered a solid carbide rod for the added weight or increasing the knob on the handle some.

35 shooter
04-12-2016, 11:29 PM
I'm moving up before long too. I've used nothing but a 10 lb. lee pot forever. Your right about the leaking. I'll be "moving up" to a lee 20 lb and i figure if it leaks too...oh well, i'm used to it lol.

Heard lots of good things about the rcbs. I'm sure it will be like a cadillac compared to the lee pots.
Bet you'll love it.

Mk42gunner
04-13-2016, 01:05 AM
Several years ago I decided to go electric and bought a brand new 4-20. since I had read of the drip here, I lapped the valve and seat before I even plugged it in the first time. It sometimes drips, but not too bad. If I am ladle casting with it the drip art eventually self limits, i.e. it piles up to block the spout.

Shortly after I got the new 4-20 I was in a pawn shop scroun- I mean shopping, and found a Lee ten pounder minus the valve. I got it for ten bucks after pointing out the missing parts. Something like seven dollars later, it was complete and sitting on the shelf as a spare or for different alloys. I haven't even plugged it in after testing it.

Fast forward a few years, and I bought a Promelt at an auction for about 25% of retail. No drips, leaks or any other bad things.

If I had known just how much of an improvement the RCBS Promelt was over the Lee, I would have bought one new the first time. But even with that said, the 4-20 isn't all that bad.

Robert

LenH
04-13-2016, 08:29 AM
I found a ProMelt on S&S with a Lyman mold guide attached and a digital controller. I bought the thing from a member here and have never looked back. I still have the
Lee 4-20 that I used for about 10 years but it is put away. I removed the mold guide and use the digital controller for powder coating. I have a digital controller for the casting
pot.

I think you will wish like I did that I should have gotten one years ago. By the way I was given the Lee 4-20 by an old timer that was getting rid of a bunch of stuff. I bought
a couple of molds from him and he threw in the pot new in the box.

Hickok
04-13-2016, 08:53 AM
This works for me.

I took my old lee 10 pound pot, plugged the spout with appropriate size nail.

I use a newer Lee 20 Lb. pot for my casting, and plug in the Lee 10 lb and throw my sprue in as I cast.