PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum cleaner question

RedHawk357Mag
04-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Good evening all. Looking for specific information in regards to super thick plush carpets and vacuums. Been a long time fan of Kirby but recently installed those deep shag carpets. The material supplier said not to use a beater type vacuum on the carpet as it will give frizzies. My mother was a Rainbow fan but I think they have a beater brush as well. My apologies to the Dyson fans. They have their loyal fans but I simply can not be one. So I am wondering what folks are using with deep shag carpets. Much appreciated and have a great night.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

steelworker
04-11-2016, 06:05 AM
My wife unit is a Dyson fan. They do an amazing job. We have had one for 7-8 years now, and its only needed one repair.

6bg6ga
04-11-2016, 06:50 AM
We have the Dyson Animal and it works great. I was sold after several companies came into our home for a demo and when they got done the Dyson came out and picked up what theirs didn't.

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2016, 07:56 AM
we too have a dyson. I don't have a clue how well it works:bigsmyl2: but my wife likes it. I know it has a switch on it that will let you shut the beater bar off.

dave524
04-11-2016, 09:16 AM
We uses a Dyson here, also got one of their little cordless animal vacs for spot cleaning. Works great , no complaints.

Boaz
04-11-2016, 09:20 AM
Why not get a good shop vac ?

OS OK
04-11-2016, 10:20 AM
After you find the one that does the job right…I'll bet you end up saying…"It really sucks!"…:bigsmyl2:

OS OK

Pine Baron
04-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Shop vac, +1, what I use!!!

joesig
04-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Good evening all. Looking for specific information in regards to super thick plush carpets and vacuums. Been a long time fan of Kirby but recently installed those deep shag carpets. The material supplier said not to use a beater type vacuum on the carpet as it will give frizzies.
The Kirby I have allows you to turn the beater off. Why not just do that?

tigweldit
04-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Yep, shop vac for the basement or garage (where I spend most of my time). Check "Consumers Report" for recommendations for the rest of the house.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-11-2016, 01:00 PM
I am a big fan of the Rainbow...yes, it has a beater bar.
Good Luck

SweetMk
04-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Bite the bullet, install central vac system if you are gonna live with carpet.
The exhaust can be vented outside, otherwise,,, you are just stirring up the dust.

We went to hardwood,, actually Goncalo Alves,, throughout the house,,,
so we do little vacuuming now.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h332/sweetmk22/floors/345800x532_zpsbb651b38.jpg

I bet the Smith&Wesson wood buyers had heart failure that day!!

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h332/sweetmk22/floors/323800x532_zpsc2dbf352.jpg

Markbo
04-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Pretty much every vacuum made has carpet and floor modes, the latter turning off the beater bar.

shooter93
04-11-2016, 06:49 PM
I have installed a lot of central vac units in houses and renovations I've done and every customer loves them. I retro fitted my house with one. A GOOD central vac works very well.

RedHawk357Mag
04-11-2016, 10:36 PM
The Kirby I have allows you to turn the beater off. Why not just do that?
Have considered removing the belt and getting after it that way. Probably much more convenient than the current shop vac work around. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bangerjim
04-13-2016, 03:03 PM
The only way to REALLY get all the dirt/gunk/dead skin/stuff out of any carpet - thick OR thin - is to have a rotating/vibrating beater that stirs up the "stuff" deep down to the carpet base and some VERY strong suction behind it, suction that does not decrease as a silly paper bag fills up.

I love the Dyson's we have. You can easily turn off the brush when not needed and then back on when vibrating the gunk from deep in the carpet pile. A shop vac will not deep clean like a rotary brush will. I also have 2 Rainbows and never use them anymore after getting the Dyson's (Upstairs and Downstairs "maids" :-o !)

I have several powerful shop vacuums in my shops and they definitely have their place on hard and cement floors. But they will not deep clean a carpet.

Effectively cleaning shag carpeting is exactly why we switched away from the stuff years ago. We had some so deep and plush our boys could Legos down in there! And God only knows what was setting up housekeeping down in there. And allergies went to a minimum.

Hope you find a satisfactory solution to your "sucky" problem, my friend!!!!!

robg
04-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Dyson work best .you can just use the tube if you don't want the beater.

PaulG67
04-16-2016, 07:18 PM
We use a Dyson here, have carpeting but not deep shag, just the regular stuff. The Dyson works very well.