PDA

View Full Version : More 300 blk talk. pressure signs

bigjake
04-10-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm loading 130 gr. jacketed. im using hodgdons data. I'm loading 17.9 gr. of H110 their starting load. anyway, it seems so hot, the primer is getting smashed bad, the rim is even getting pushed some, enough to be tight in the shell holder when re-sizing. the upper is a 16" carbine gased no name. its the same one that I had problems with cycling. it cycles fine now.
I am having success with some light unique loads with lee slugs for the Ruger Amer bolt. I love the sub speeds, so soft and quiet, even without a suppressor. I don't care much for the blasting kick of hot loads anymore, man, when I was a kid or young guy, the more it kicked the better. My boy shoots the marlin 45-70 with huge slugs and max loads. That thing is awful to shoot. It drops Ohio deer in their tracks though.

Jupiter7
04-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Hogdons data for a specific bullet or are you extrapolating data for another 130grn bullet. I'd suggest .2 grain reduction from minimum loads and see what happens. As above, ejector swipe, extractor claw indentions, cratering and flattening are same issues to look for. Have you chrono'd? Got pics?

bigjake
04-12-2016, 03:43 PM
What will happen to the glued paper when checking head space?

thanks for the help everyone.

Hickok
04-12-2016, 05:24 PM
If an AR has too light of a buffer, and/or too light a buffer spring, it will decrease the dwell time that keeps the bolt locked when a round is fired.

The bolt will open sooner when pressure is higher, and this causes the bolt/ bolt carrier to be more violent in its rearward recoil. This can cause bent or torn rims on cases.

Over gassed can cause violent extraction also. just saying.........