PDA

View Full Version : Watching The Masters Golf tournament

gunoil
04-10-2016, 06:51 PM
watching The Masters: Might want to go caddy some more. lol!

I was on the tour 75/76. No money back then.

colonial ben hogan, houston open, st jude Memphis, new orleans open, pebble beach, LA open, andy williams san deigo, bob hope desert classic, doral, inverness, Florida open, greensboro 1&2 courses, & some more l did.

looks like son of a preacher mans won it from england.

starmac
04-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Watching golf on tv has to rank up there with watching paint dry. lol
I never even cared to watch golf in person, EXCEPT on ladies day at the course. lol

Skunk1
04-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Daughter is on the high school team. She's just learning as I know nothing about it other than wack the ball. Seems fun enough though, as long as I can have a couple drinks.

BigMagShooter
04-10-2016, 07:46 PM
all i can think about is shooting the white ball with my 22

Powder Burn
04-10-2016, 08:11 PM
A number of years ago, I saw Greg Norman, Fuzzy Zeller, Paul Azinger, John Daly and many more pros at Quad city and John Deere Classic. It's like going to a quiet rock concert. Golf was a nice game to play during summer between hunting and fishing. I was a terrible player but could appreciate the game. I was so bad, my buddies would say I could drive a ball and plant corn at the same time.

rockrat
04-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Been playing for 56 years. Dad started me at 6 yrs old. Never had a hole in one yet, but two double eagles, go figure.

Hat off to" gunoil" for being on the tour, you were GOOD to be able to do that. Something most of us golfers just dream about

Dad was a below scratch golfer. Loved the Air Force more though, so no tour for him. Course, when the Generals needed someone to help them beat somebody, he got the call. Think he had 19 holes in one. He was my age now, before I beat him. He had a bad day and I shot 3 over, beat him by 1.

I like watching golf on TV. Love looking at the course designs and I study the swings for hints, but also , when they have an "oops", I think, "hmm, I can play like that too". I usually have a decent game, but then one or two holes rear their ugly head, like what happened to Speith today. Felt sorry for the guy.

dtknowles
04-10-2016, 08:49 PM
I like playing Golf on the Wii or hitting a bucket of balls with cheap clubs but to pay greens fees and buy nice clubs I would have to have some good friends to play with.

Watching golf on TV is for the bored.

Tim

gunoil
04-10-2016, 09:05 PM
The California pro ams were great. Eastwood, columbo, jack lemon, don knotts, elliot nest, dean martin, andy williams. Lots more. Bumped into bing crosby coming out of the press room. I was in my twenties. Hitched hiked from L A to pebble beach and started their. Instant success with steady bags to carry. Should have stayed out there. I would caddy at rivera c.c. when l stayed off tour. Rockford files gave me a grip job one time at c.c., but l went rite back out on tour in a buick my grandmother gave me. Prob a mistake, but l loved golf and the tour. Spent alot of my life in California & will be going back.

Ray floyd, chip beck, david canipe all grew up here in Fayetteville, Putt-Putt golf was founded here 1953. I could shoot in the 70's but knew l was not a golf magician like they are. I always say they are magicians and not golfers. A NICE PLACE TO WATCH GOLF/, PRO-CADDIE!
-------------------------
velosRus.com

runfiverun
04-10-2016, 09:34 PM
I don't even enjoy playing the game. [but i'll watch it on TV sometimes]
hit ball, walk, hit ball on green, walk, hit ball in hole.
walk to the next tee box.
hit ball, walk, hit ball walk, hit ball in hole,,,, next.
bored me to tears to play.

dragon813gt
04-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Golf is a waste of a good walk and hunting land. I played from the time I could swing a club until around 21. At that point it was just to expensive to play and I was bored w/ it. If I don't have anything else to do I will watch it on TV. I find it quite relaxing to watch. But I will never play it again. It's a big waste of time and money in my eyes.

imashooter2
04-10-2016, 11:04 PM
Daughter is on the high school team. She's just learning as I know nothing about it other than wack the ball. Seems fun enough though, as long as I can have a couple drinks.

Here's something you should know... A woman that has a true scratch handicap is one of the surest paths to a full ride scholarship available.

I've been playing a weekly foursome with the same guys for over 20 years. I love wandering around a field busting chops with my guys as much as the game.

dtknowles
04-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Here's something you should know... A woman that has a true scratch handicap is one of the surest paths to a full ride scholarship available.

I've been playing a weekly foursome with the same guys for over 20 years. I love wandering around a field busting chops with my guys as much as the game.

That is what I was trying to say, if I had three friends who wanted to play it would be a great way to get together and have fun.

Tim

tdoyka
04-11-2016, 03:22 AM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/13000210_456895131183600_6890850132511203241_n.jpg ?oh=c4f5169b136e09c263771503defa6d63&oe=57B250C2

MrWolf
04-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Watched Speith's breakdown, felt sorry for the guy. I didn't start playing till well after college. Loved it. Built my own set of clubs, started to get better and screwed my back up. Oh well. I do try and watch some of the majors.

rockrat
04-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately, the friends I had in my 30's and 40's with whom I played golf, passed early in life, so when I play now its usually just me. Figured Dad is looking down at me giving me the same pointers I probably ignored when I was younger.

Alot of people look at golf as a waste, but I consider it a challenge. Me against the course and I am never satisfied with how I play. Dad said there is always room for improvement.

Kind of like how we shoot and are always working up different loads for their rifle, looking for a smaller group. Bet there are many that look at our boolit casting and reloading as boring and a waste of time and money

imashooter2
04-11-2016, 10:34 AM
I've always said golf and shooting are very similar pastimes.

quilbilly
04-11-2016, 01:38 PM
I figured It was all over when Spieth finished the front 9 and was several strokes ahead so off I went to the reloading bench. OOOOPPS! Came back an hour later to watch Willett win. Used golf balls are my target of choice for my Contenders at 50 yards. May have even hit one once or twice.

Plate plinker
04-11-2016, 10:17 PM
I've always said golf and shooting are very similar pastimes.
Golf is worse for me. I used to play daily and if I missed one day it was okay, missed two days and it showed. Shooting for me that is not such a issue. I think golf is much more demanding.

imashooter2
04-12-2016, 12:12 AM
Golf is worse for me. I used to play daily and if I missed one day it was okay, missed two days and it showed. Shooting for me that is not such a issue. I think golf is much more demanding.

To be really good, I would agree. But I'm a once a week duffer and shoot 90% of my rounds between 85 and 95.

What I mean by similar is the concentration and exercise of fine motor control to affect result at a distance. Both are also truly individual sports. You against the course / target.

Three44s
04-12-2016, 01:40 AM
I put more rounds downrange with a .22 on golf balls but my long range driver of choice is my "44 iron"!

Now as much as I appreciate those that make used and there fore, cheap golf balls for me to shoot at .......... I do not favor watching someone break in those golf balls ......... they can break them in on their own time ........ and, I'll do my thing on my terms!

Bang! ............ FOUR! ........................ Works for me!

Best regards

Three 44s

quack1
04-12-2016, 07:30 AM
all i can think about is shooting the white ball with my 22
Not 22 but 22-250. I controlled the ground hogs on a local course for a few years. It was fun, drove a cart around and shot hogs for an hour or so, before golfers showed up, a couple mornings each month all summer. Every once in a while I'd see a lost ball and couldn't resist vaporizing it. Eventually, the owners kids got old enough and I lost the "job"

tdoyka
04-12-2016, 08:28 AM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-0/p280x280/944012_737028906439532_1684202052259572459_n.jpg?o h=e6b3b3e87bf17a897bfed8c59a060cfe&oe=57B7FC4F

SOFMatchstaff
04-12-2016, 11:47 AM
I am thankful for golf, wouldnt have ammo for my cannon without it. Pretty much agree with the second post...

Grendl
04-12-2016, 09:11 PM
I always figured my dogs were smarter than mist golfers... If they were going to chase a ball they at least got somebody else to throw it.
Golf course- waste of a perfectly good rifle range.

Blackwater
04-12-2016, 10:01 PM
LOL! Golf IS a very frustrating game, because you're always playing against your previous best performance ever. Comraderie may be involved, but it's not necessary - kind'a like fishing and shooting. To me, shooting, hunting, fishing, etc. are "sports," and golf, football, etc. are "games," and there's a distinct difference between them. And among the games, golf is the only one you can play all your whole life long. It changes as you age, of course, but what doesn't?

I didn't start until after I'd already hurt my back, and if you can't turn consistently and precisely, you're not going to hit that little ball consistently. Consequently, I usually shot in the high 80's to over 100 at times, depending on the shape of my back. Figured the exercise would help my back, but unfortunately, it went the reverse direction. What's that old saying, "too soon old, too late smart?" Boy! Do I resemble THAT remark!

My son's a scratch golfer, and has won a number of local tournaments. I think I could have maybe at least done similarly at least, but will never know. Good to see him and the grandboys coming along, though. He's 45 now, and is losing his edge slowly with the inevitable physical demands of running his business. He gets just enough hard work to not be fully used to it, and that's a bad combination! I envy his scores! Oh well, a vicarious thriss beats none a'tall, I guess? I used to watch it all the time as a kid, and until just a few years ago. You have to understand it to appreciate watching it, like any other game, and it really helps to know the personalities involved so you can see how things affect them, and know the difference.

It's mind over matter, essentially. And that's the best and worst of it, depending on how you view that. I no longer watch because I've lost track of the people in it now. There's definitely a new "ethic" in the game today, but what can't we say that about? I've been to the Masters twice, and I think my son has too, and it's one unique event that you'll be impressed with if you ever get there. It's the only pro golf tournament I've ever been to, and I really didn't care about the others, so I reckon I've been lucky, really. Sure am thankful I got to go! It truly is a wonderful and unique place, and a one-of-a-kind event, just like Bobby Jones meant for it to be.

Geezer in NH
04-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Local gun shop is going to sponsor a mid-week tournament. Grenade launcher launched balls or cannon launched balls. The course owner is a shooter and they are trying to put it together this year after talking about it for a couple.

imashooter2
04-17-2016, 07:12 PM
Local gun shop is going to sponsor a mid-week tournament. Grenade launcher launched balls or cannon launched balls. The course owner is a shooter and they are trying to put it together this year after talking about it for a couple.

Putting should be interesting.