PDA

View Full Version : The Telemarketer

WRideout
04-09-2016, 03:20 PM
The Telemarketer

James was a second year seminary student, serving as pastor of a combined charge of two churches in small Ohio towns. He is a big bear of a man, but soft around the edges. His demeanor reminds one of a very large boy. His schedule kept him quite busy, so it was no accident that he was the last one in the office of one of his parishes on a Friday afternoon, when the telephone rang. He thought about letting the answering machine take the call, but his good nature overcame that idea.
“Hello,” said the caller, who introduced herself as Jennifer. “May I speak to the person who handles Christian education resources?” James acknowledged that it would be him. The caller launched into a detailed description of the upcoming fall selection of adult Christian education books. It took longer than he wanted, but James couldn’t bring himself to interrupt. When she was done, James broke the news to her that the church wouldn’t be buying any new books for some time, but he assured her that when they did, her company would be considered as a supplier. He spent some time talking business with her, so that she wouldn’t think he had been rude and abrupt.
“Thank you so much!” Jennifer said. “You know, you were so nice to me. A lot of times, people are very rude when I call, but you were polite and courteous to me.” James sympathized, and added that he could understand how this would be a difficult job. “Oh it is!” she exclaimed. “Sometimes I just don’t know how I keep going from day to day. I wouldn’t be doing this at all, except that my husband and I have been having some financial troubles, and I really can’t quit this job.” At that point, James knew that he was in for the long haul.
They talked about school loans and home mortgages, desire to start a family, and the reality of a young couple just starting out. They talked about personal goals and family expectations, and about the economic conditions in the part of Texas where they lived. James knew from his pastoral care classes that just listening was most of the help he could give. James lost track of time, but it seemed that they had been talking for the better part of an hour.
“Well, I suppose I should let you go,” Jennifer said almost tearfully. “Things will really work out,” James told her, and added, “I’ll put your name on our church prayer chain.” She thanked him many times and with much emotion. After they hung up, James stared out the window at the darkening sky, and wondered what had just happened.

True story.
Wayne

USMC87
04-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Excellent!

Blackwater
04-11-2016, 06:45 AM
Great story. We so often forget that situations don't end after we disengage with the people we meet along our pathway. The things we say and do have effects, and sometimes, they may last for years, and change or significantly affect the course of the lives of those we meet either for the good or the bad. It's good to remember how we don't ever really know how much effect we have on the people we meet and those around us. Excellent reminder. Thanks