PDA

View Full Version : 22 Hornet and Pellets

49FMarlin
04-08-2016, 12:52 PM
OK so I've got some folks answering my questions on my other Hornet threads,
and some mention using a .22 pellet and a small pistol primer,

so i got some .22 pellets at the LHS primed 2 cases after i drilled them out, and marked them in red,
shot one across the room into the pine paneling, 20ft,
it sunk in the thickness of the pellet with a paper back book drop sound,

my questions would be this,
1-is using a pellet in my Handi-Hornet what price range would it be equal to if i was to go buy a pellet gun?
2- can one put 1/2 grain of bullseye behind it?
3- what what your effective range ?

comparing all this to a dedicated pellet gun,,NOT THE SPENDY air tank 1000.00 jobbers

EMC45
04-08-2016, 01:02 PM
This is something I have wanted to do with my Handi in .223. I was given some .22 cal pellets to try it, but they slipped down the neck of a sized case. My thoughts were like yours.....A 1/2 gr. of a fast powder to give it just a little more "umph". I will stay posted to the results and replies.

49FMarlin
04-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Im using Daisy 22 precision max flat nosed, 13.3g they push in not tight but don't slide around
in either a fire formed case or a new one i do have to take a pen and slightly flair the case just a tad

just tried 2 more outside, at 25 feet i was 3 inches low on my crosshairs, and my chickens didn't blink when the pellet passed by
zero noise,,just a pffft

49FMarlin
04-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Loaded 1g of bullseye in a new unmolested case, with pellet,
sounded like a carpenters nail gun pellet took out a coke can at 25 yards filled with water,

mulespurs
04-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Just for fun maybe try rifle primers, I don't know if they have more oomph or not.
It that doesn't suit you try reaming a case or two to fit a shotgun primer. It sounds like a fun experiment. Just be sure the pellet clears the barrel and not just blows the top off it and leave the skirt in your barrel. Let us know how this all goes.

jhalcott
04-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Im using Daisy 22 precision max flat nosed, 13.3g they push in not tight but don't slide around
in either a fire formed case or a new one i do have to take a pen and slightly flair the case just a tad

just tried 2 more outside, at 25 feet i was 3 inches low on my crosshairs, and my chickens didn't blink when the pellet passed by
zero noise,,just a pffft
I HAVE STUCK a pellet in the bore on occasion. So be warned to check the bore before you shoot the next round. I had some 177 pellets that I tried in my 17 Rem. rifle. I pushed them thru a .172 home made sized and used BEnch rest primers. Hi velocity and so so accuracy resulted. Accurate for squirrels at about 20 yards.

Vann
04-08-2016, 01:43 PM
I wonder how a 209 primer would do?

MostlyLeverGuns
04-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Keep an eye out for pellets getting stuck. I have had pellets blow through the nose and leave the remains of the pellet in the bore. Pellet type should make a difference. Power limited by the pellet's ability to hold the pressure without blow through.

Digital Dan
04-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Many ways to pursue this, but the question I'd put forth is why fiddle with pellets when moulds for light weight bullets are available AND of proper dimension? Soft alloy with a lite tumble lube will do fine.

49FMarlin
04-08-2016, 04:00 PM
because I'm waiting for my die set from midway and a mold and just wanna have some quiet fun in the back yard
never know when ill have to eat squirrel without my neighbors knowing I'm eating

w30wcf
04-08-2016, 04:52 PM
These 30 gr .22 swaged bullets would work well also....

http://northamericanarms.com/accessories/cb-accessories/cb-parts/cbb100.html

w30wcf

Ballistics in Scotland
04-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Many ways to pursue this, but the question I'd put forth is why fiddle with pellets when moulds for light weight bullets are available AND of proper dimension? Soft alloy with a lite tumble lube will do fine.

I don't believe that would work. The impulse from a primer may be about equal to a very weak charge of smokeless powder, but it is much briefer in duration. The bullet gives a great deal more friction all the way along the bore, to resist stripping under forces many times greater. I think you would need the air rifle pellet, which only has a very narrow skirt to engrave.

country gent
04-08-2016, 05:30 PM
In the hornet cases I load the pellet skirt forwards, this helps to keep the skirt from pulling off in the barrel. Expand your case necks to bore size and slichtly flair skirt of pellet it will size down in the neck to proper size. I used small rifle primers only no powder. A magnum primer might give a little more omph also. If possible chronograph a few of these loads you might be surprised as to velocity. Even a small charge of powder may leave skirts in the barrel. Also pellets are pretty much pure lead and very soft so at higher velocities leading may become an issue. They are a fun load and a ball to play with.

StrawHat
04-08-2016, 06:57 PM
I use 22 pellets with a SR primer in 22 Hornet cases fired from a 22 WCF chamber in a 25 3/4" barrel and so far have never stuck nor separated a pellet in the bore. Not sure how one would do either but with a pellet and a primer, I am getting ~1" groups at 25 yards. Good enough for starlings and quiet enough not to disturb the neighbors.

Kevin

Digital Dan
04-08-2016, 07:11 PM
I don't believe that would work. The impulse from a primer may be about equal to a very weak charge of smokeless powder, but it is much briefer in duration. The bullet gives a great deal more friction all the way along the bore, to resist stripping under forces many times greater. I think you would need the air rifle pellet, which only has a very narrow skirt to engrave.

OK, you mean like the BB and CB cap which are primer powered and will exit my 26" barrel around 800 fps? Gotcha...

OTOH, these might work, depending on diameter...

They are available from Midway.

fastdadio
04-08-2016, 07:20 PM
While not exactly related to this thread, I just have to share. While in the Army, (83-86) a couple guys were caught shooting cleaning rods out of their M-16s with blanks. This gave me the bright idea to try .22 pellets. We used to get pretty bored in the field some times so I took a box of pellets out. Blanks are crimped to a point and that point fit the pellet skirt like it's made for it. Glue the pellet on the tip of the blank. Carefully chamber the round and bang! My first test shot was at a can of shaving cream and I was under the camo net....oops. What a mess. Burst the can all over the place. Gunny heard the report and came to investigate and there was no way to weasle out of that one. Fun times....Carry on gentelmen.

GhostHawk
04-08-2016, 09:32 PM
While I have not done this with my .223 . . . . yet. I have shot 30 caliber buckshot in my Mosin with just the primer. Went through one side of a cardboard box and rattled around inside.

Perfect for offhand shooting practice in the January doldrums.

aspangler
04-08-2016, 11:24 PM
I have done this with the 223 in my bolt gun using regular and magnum primers. I also drilled out and reamed 6 cases to use 209 primers. The heavier pellets work best and are VERY quiet.

rbuck351
04-09-2016, 12:56 AM
I use 22 cal pellets in my air rifle. They work really well and save a 3 cent primer.

303Guy
04-09-2016, 05:50 AM
Well, I've driven pellets into hyper space. As far as I know they still streaking across the universe. I don't remember the charge or powder but I do remember them making a bigger hole than a 22 rf and with more penetration. The only load I can find is with 1 gr trail Boss. I was waxing the pellets so as to give support on the skirt both inside and out. The wax had Alox and STP mixed in it which made it quite firm and is what held the pellet in the neck over a wad.

At more modest velocities the pellet shot OK at air gun ranges. Very quiet.

I just had another look at my load. I see that I filled the case with wheat germ to the neck. The pellet would have seated onto the wheat germ. The wax load I used had a card wad pressed to depth to support the pellet and prevent the molten wax from running down. I seem to remember the case was filled with Trail boss - not sure.

303Guy
04-09-2016, 05:56 AM
I use 22 cal pellets in my air rifle. They work really well and save a 3 cent primer.
Yeah but is it as much fun? :mrgreen:

pcolapaddler
04-09-2016, 06:34 AM
Begin with a reasonably inexpensive Crosman 1377.

Swap in a .22 steel breech, bolt and 18" barrel, rifle stock and cheap scope.

and you have a fairly cheap Evil Black target/pest shooter.

Lots of additional mods and parts to experiment with. These are the AR of the air gun world.

With no mods other than those listed, it will penetrate a wood privacy fence on 8-10 pumps. I usually shoot at a box filled with rubber mulch and toward my back fence and a wooded lot - no house back there.

It is a bit loud. I don't know if it is the sound of the compressed air, dieseling from excess oil or mechanical noise from the hammer and valve. I live in a subdivision and the neighbors haven't complained.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

EMC45
04-09-2016, 10:02 AM
I use that same pellet gun. Killed many squirrels and various other critters with it.

jhalcott
04-09-2016, 10:17 AM
I have that Grossman and a few other air guns. I use them for bad weather practice in the basement usually, but they do get used on critters that DO NOT belong in my yard! The Crossman has a 3x Tasco pistol scope on it. It groups under an inch at 20 yards.

richhodg66
04-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Begin with a reasonably inexpensive Crosman 1377.

Swap in a .22 steel breech, bolt and 18" barrel, rifle stock and cheap scope.

and you have a fairly cheap Evil Black target/pest shooter.

Lots of additional mods and parts to experiment with. These are the AR of the air gun world.

With no mods other than those listed, it will penetrate a wood privacy fence on 8-10 pumps. I usually shoot at a box filled with rubber mulch and toward my back fence and a wooded lot - no house back there.

It is a bit loud. I don't know if it is the sound of the compressed air, dieseling from excess oil or mechanical noise from the hammer and valve. I live in a subdivision and the neighbors haven't complained.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

I have been wanting to try one of those Crossmans for a long time now. I started bowhunting deer again after a long hiatus from it and it's illegal here to carry any kind of a firearm while bowhunting. Squirrels abound and practically crawl in my lap, so I thought an air pistol might be a good thing to carry and wouldn't scare deer (hopefully).

Back to the original topic, this is very interesting. I have also read where guys use the appropriate size of buck shot pellets, #4 perhaps? All good stuff.

FWIW, the Hornet is real easy to get cast to work in. My squirrel load is a plain based bullet and two grains of Bullseye, but dropping it down to 1.5 grains quiets it down quite a bit. Works better on squirrels than a .22 LR.

303Guy
04-09-2016, 03:12 PM
FWIW, the Hornet is real easy to get cast to work in. My squirrel load is a plain based bullet and two grains of Bullseye, but dropping it down to 1.5 grains quiets it down quite a bit. Works better on squirrels than a .22 LR.
That's an idea. I have some Clays. And Trail Boss. All I need is a lighter boolit.

richhodg66
04-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Try whatever you have. I first tried it with Lyman 225438s minus the gas checks and it worked almost as well as the bullets designed to be plain based. I only shot them at paper, and cast them much harder than I normally would (only because I was lazy and had some pure linotype) then tumble lubed them in LLA. Not sure with that round nose and cast hard how effective they'd be on game.

Rustyleee
04-09-2016, 03:27 PM
I tried it in a .223 and it blew the skirt out on the pellet. Accuracy was non existent.

MT Chambers
04-09-2016, 03:58 PM
I'd just get a descent spring powered air rifle, the RWS 34 is an inexpensive quality airgun, the finest is the AirArms Tx200 though a bit spendy. The latter will shoot tiny groups, really just ragged holes, past 30 yards, and ammo is just over 1 cent each.

Pardini
04-09-2016, 11:11 PM
15 or 20 years ago I bought a kit to shoot pellets out of my .223 Contender or any .223 for that matter. It had 3 modified .223 cases. The necks were dimpled in 3 spots to hold the pellet. The primer pockets were bored for 209 primers and had an oring to hold the primer in place.

I remember 1000 fps and poor accuracy. The cases came out sootysmelled bad and were a mess to handle. Novel idea, but not very practical. Seemed like a waste of a primer back then and that's when they were cheap. Still have them in the safe somewhere. I think they are still being made.

clearcut
04-10-2016, 11:04 AM
I made some with 209's for my AR and PC'd the pellets to fatten them up . Under 2" @ 25 yds. lots of fun :)

CC

Ballistics in Scotland
04-10-2016, 02:48 PM
OK, you mean like the BB and CB cap which are primer powered and will exit my 26" barrel around 800 fps? Gotcha...

OTOH, these might work, depending on diameter...

They are available from Midway.

No. I meant the kind of primer people were talking about on the thread. Some CB caps have no powder charge, others do, but it is a primer different formulated from the centrefire variety, in order to give a longer propulsive impulse. Even so there is a significant velocity loss in a rifle, as compared with a pistol, and it is likely to be greater, or failure to exit, if ordinary centrefires are used with bullets which have a long contact surface.

Digital Dan
04-10-2016, 05:27 PM
So did I, the reference to the Caps went to barrel length and bullet exiting same. Shooting light bullets with little or no powder is not a mystery or disaster waiting to happen. Jacketed bullets will exit a Hornet barrel with less than 1.5 grains of powder at velocity comparable to a .22 HVLR. Lead is easier and while not being in a position to evaluate the merits of another's gun I'd suggest that a little common sense will win.

38 grains (wheel weight alloy), no gas check, wee bit of tin in a lead bullet and it will work with a primer in most guns.

NOE 225-37-FN 2 cavity 1GC 1PB

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/NOE%20mould_zpsf34i1iuz.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/NOE%20mould_zpsf34i1iuz.jpg.html)

If you are truly of the opinion it won't work you probably wouldn't mind putting your thumb over the muzzle for a test fire, hey?

dudel
04-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Pellets work fine in my 22Hornet (good range and accuracy); but not so well in .223. I don't drill out the primer hole for pellets. Just a standard case and small pistol primer. Have not stuck a pellet in my Handi 22 Hornet. This is a case where too much oomph will blow through the pellet, and could leave the skirt in the barrel. Like overpowering a HBWC in 38spl.

Don't try and turn this into a higher power round. It's not, and is not intended to be. I find them good out 25 yards. It's a good game getter without turning your game into red mist. It's very quiet. If you need more distance, or more power, this might not be for you.

My advice would be to try SP and see what range, accuracy and energy you get. If it meets your needs, great. I wouldn't be throwing much power behind the pellet, because it's not meant for it.

If you have a good 22 cal air rifle, use that and save the cost of primers. I have a Stoeger air rifle in 22 Cal, it's comparable to the handi hornet when shooting pellets.

rbuck351
04-11-2016, 06:29 AM
Yep, I tried the pellet primer thing but wasn't getting good accuracy or velocity so I put in a bit of powder and found the skirt still in the neck of the case and no accuracy. That's when I went back to the air rifle and save the 3 cent primer. Now what I'm working on is a centerfire 22mag. I'm swaging/turning 5.7x28 cases to 22mag dimensions. I made a 22mag barrel liner from a beat 22mag rifle for my TC contender in 44mag. Using a small pistol primer, a 48gr cast boolit and 1.7grs of BE, it will penetrate about 3" of green birch. 1.2grs is good for a bit over 2" penetration. I haven't tried yet but in the TC I believe I can easily exceed 22mag performance at about 4 cents per shot. The RWS pellets my air rifle likes cost 6 cents each. Anyway pellets in a Hornet was fun but it didn't work very well.

rond
04-11-2016, 09:02 AM
I pulled the bullets from my dud 22 lr and loaded them with 4.5 gr of Unique, SP primer. Haven't shot them yet, will try later this week.

mozeppa
04-11-2016, 09:04 AM
why not use these?

they have no powder and they are quiet...and they are already assembled.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506295321/aguila-super-colibri-ammunition-22-long-rifle-20-grain-lead-solid-point

dudel
04-11-2016, 10:14 AM
why not use these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506295321/aguila-super-colibri-ammunition-22-long-rifle-20-grain-lead-solid-point

Maybe because they aren't 22 Hornet? OP was asking about using pellets in 22Hornet brass.

Those rounds ARE super quiet in my Henry levergun.

prsman23
04-11-2016, 11:32 AM
comparing all this to a dedicated pellet gun,,NOT THE SPENDY air tank 1000.00 jobbers

Without powder at 7 cents a round to assemble it would take a little over 2800 rounds to make it to $200
That's the price of a reasonably capable airgun and scope combo.
Both can be fun. But if you plan to shoot a lot, the airgun would probably be more economical in the long run. And just as much fun. I've shot many many thousands of rounds in my backyard with a pellet gun. Once you have the gun $10 buys a tin of 500 pellets.
Another point would be less trouble if the neighbors (assuming you live in town) call the cops too. Just food for thought. I like messing around with projects like this too! Best of luck bud.

Blackwater
04-11-2016, 12:28 PM
For those having trouble with the charge blowing through the pellet, have you tried the pointed or heavier RN type pellets? Seems like being thicker at that point, they'd maybe cure the blow-through problems?

Ballistics in Scotland
04-11-2016, 12:41 PM
why not use these?

Ah yes, the Aguila full-length but 20gr. Long Rifle, which is not only subsonic but very subsonic, and does away with the theoretical disadvantage of a shorter round in the LR chamber. It has exactly the performance of the sort of airgun I can buy undocumented over the counter in the UK, and it might be easier to use accurately than a spring air rifle, with its peculiar early recoil. Otherwise its only real advantage is not having to buy another and possibly less interesting gun when you've got one.

I think you put your finger on it, though, with the words "already assembled". A lot of people want to invent something all their own, and preferably easier than inventing a new kind of gun.

I notice that Aguila on their website, lacking the mind over matter powers of the gifted amateur, say of this ammunition: "WARNING: These rounds are powered by the rimfire primer only. They must only be fired in handguns. If fired in rifles, the bullet may remain lodged in the barrel." Even a tiny powder charge is a different thing entirely. Those few grains will burn at least as slowly as the full charge - most likely a lot more slowly, since the burning rate of smokeless increases much more than in proportion to pressure. Unlike the primer explosion, the gas supply keeps on coming.

w30wcf
04-11-2016, 07:49 PM
I pulled the bullets from my dud 22 lr and loaded them with 4.5 gr of Unique, SP primer. Haven't shot them yet, will try later this week.

Rond,
Sounds like a neat idea, but since you will be close to 2,000 f.p.s. with a plain base bullet, you are likely to get some leading.
3 grains of Unique would be better and around 1500 f.p.s.

w30wcf

w30wcf
04-11-2016, 07:58 PM
why not use these?

Be careful not to shoot these at a hard surface with these (including target boards) at close range. If you do, they will come back in your direction!
Accuracy was great at 15 yards. At 25 yards the group opened to 8+"!

w30wcf

w30wcf
04-11-2016, 08:01 PM
I have fired the 225438 sans gas check with 2.2/231. The 5 shot group @ 50 yards was 5/8".
Velocity was 1,300 f.p.s.

w30wcf

Kevinkd
04-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Ok, so you got me interested. Check out these videos using only a .22 pellet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOZpy55U-jY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc5rpSk15XI&annotation_id=annotation_515440433&feature=iv&src_vid=MOZpy55U-jY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYElPDLPosE

Crazy stuff. Be safe out there.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-12-2016, 05:02 AM
Be careful not to shoot these at a hard surface with these (including target boards) at close range. If you do, they will come back in your direction!

w30wcf

That is a possibility. I should have thought soft wood would be enough to prevent this, but I have heard reports of .41 rimfire derringer bullets (maybe from deteriorated rounds) bouncing back from a tree.

Here are .177 air rifle pellets which hit solid steel. Fragments broke away from the edges and probably headed off sideways, losing their velocity very quickly. But that central peak looks like some lead could have been projected straight backwards. This would be just the opposite of what I found when I fired Nosler solid based boat-tails at a large brass block. The cavities left were about spherical, 3/4in. diameter inside and slightly narrowed at their tastefully lace-trimmed edge. The inside of the cavity was entirely lead-plated, too thin to dull the texture of torn brass. But in each one a little gilding metal button from the base of the bullet was left to rattle about loose.

Texinoz
04-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Have used standard .22 pellets with Small Rifle primers and from 0.5 to 0.7gn of bullseye to thin out the sparrow population and head shoot young rabbits out to around 15 yards or a little more. Depending on the barrel length of your rifle - they hardly make a noise.

EMC45
04-12-2016, 10:11 AM
My idea and thought on this (in addition to using existing pellet sources) is to make a "pound die" that would swage a lead cylinder into the proper diameter for loading in a Hornet or .223 case with a small gr. weight of powder. In thought and theory it would be male/female die with a base plug to form the hollow "skirt" of the projectile. The whole thing would be a straight sided cylinder with matching point and base. Point being outward pointing and the base being inward hollow. So the point forming die would be the exact opposite of the base hollow "skirt" forming die. If this makes sense. rolled in ALOX or JPW and then loaded for small game or target duties. It could conceivably be made with minimal skills and a drill press I would think. Not trying to hijack......

dudel
04-12-2016, 11:39 AM
49F, I found a target from back in 2013 when I was playing with this. H&R Handi Rifle, unmodified case, SP only, pellets shown in picture. I see the notes show 40 yrds! I don't know if the flyer was the first shot; but more likely the 5th as I got all giggly from the first four and blew a nice group on the 5th (I tend to do that).

Chill Wills
04-14-2016, 01:19 AM
38 grains (wheel weight alloy), no gas check, wee bit of tin in a lead bullet and it will work with a primer in most guns.
NOE 225-37-FN 2 cavity 1GC 1PB
If you are truly of the opinion it won't work you probably wouldn't mind putting your thumb over the muzzle for a test fire, hey?

OK, Just for grins I had to give this a try.
I happened to be in the shop today working on other stuff and I grabbed 5 fired hornet cases,
I deprimed with a punch to leave the cases unsized.
I reprimed with a Winchester SRP
I hand lubed a Herters 43.5 grain copy of the Lyman 225438 and left the GC off - unnsized about 0.226"
Hand seated it into the mouth of the case - friction fit and left it long.
Loaded the round into the 20" barreled rifle. Closing the action seated the bullet.

-Keep in mind this big test is a little short on data points:-P-

Shot the round at a scrap of wood (fur) at about two feet. Nothing.
The rifle's action made more noise than the primer.
That told me the bullet did not exit the barrel - Yup - I got a rod and pushed it out - it made a measured 2.5" up the tube.
SO, I made and second round but this time added exactly one grain of 3F Black
Well -This time I went outside - smart huh? [smilie=s: That round took the small block of wood off the trash can and 20 feet into the back yard.

I'll have to try a pellet next.

richhodg66
04-14-2016, 06:22 AM
I'm surprised one grain made that big a difference. How loud was it?

49FMarlin
04-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Ive shot a 12.3 grain load of 3F with a 37g sounds like a muffled/low boom-no crack--16penny nail gun/or roofing air gun
loved the smoke,

Chill Wills
04-14-2016, 12:07 PM
I'm surprised one grain made that big a difference. How loud was it?

The report was pretty darn small - about like accidentally dropping a hammer on a concrete floor.
I guess the first grain makes the largest difference in power tho, - from zero to one grain of powder.

49FMarlin
04-14-2016, 12:14 PM
I've been told its dangerous to load a low amount of black powder and leave an air gap

Chill Wills
04-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Oh my! let's not even go there. Shouldn't play with guns either - gonna put an eye out.
:razz:[smilie=l:

Carry on......

mozeppa
04-14-2016, 04:23 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by mozeppa http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3610828#post3610828)
why not use these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/250...ad-solid-point (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506295321/aguila-super-colibri-ammunition-22-long-rifle-20-grain-lead-solid-point)

Maybe because they aren't 22 Hornet? OP was asking about using pellets in 22Hornet brass.
Those rounds ARE super quiet in my Henry levergun.

yeah... i got that. but how expensive would a used 22 rifle be vesus all this headache?

richhodg66
04-14-2016, 10:34 PM
How much headache to knock out a primer, reprime and seat a pellet?

The problem with your argument, and reason I now own several .22 Hornets and a couple of Sheridan Blue Streaks now is THERE WASN'T ANY .22 AMMO! I personally decided I was never gonna let a shortage like that have me over a barrel again, so I started messing with stuff I wouldn't have normally messed with and had a lot of fun in the process.

In the past few months, I have found some and have shot a couple of my .22 rifles a bit, but after squirrel hunting with my Savage 219 in .22 Hornet, I doubt I'll ever go back to rimfires. It's cheaper and performs better.

dudel
04-14-2016, 10:57 PM
How much headache to knock out a primer, reprime and seat a pellet?

The problem with your argument, and reason I now own several .22 Hornets and a couple of Sheridan Blue Streaks now is THERE WASN'T ANY .22 AMMO! I personally decided I was never gonna let a shortage like that have me over a barrel again, so I started messing with stuff I wouldn't have normally messed with and had a lot of fun in the process.

In the past few months, I have found some and have shot a couple of my .22 rifles a bit, but after squirrel hunting with my Savage 219 in .22 Hornet, I doubt I'll ever go back to rimfires. It's cheaper and performs better.

Give the man a cigar! Same story here. In 2013 (see pic above) you could only get 22lr for stupid money. Not playing that game. Pellets kept me shooting during the ammo shortage, and during the powder shortage. Pellets are cheap, and you can store them easily. 10k pellets won't break the bank, and take little space. Run out of primers, go to air rifle.

rond
04-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Rond,
Sounds like a neat idea, but since you will be close to 2,000 f.p.s. with a plain base bullet, you are likely to get some leading.
3 grains of Unique would be better and around 1500 f.p.s.

w30wcf

Well my results were not as good as I had hoped. I used old mixed brass and had a lot of split cases. The ones that didn't split shot pretty well, the others were all over. Will try with better cases after I collect some more duds. Will try some with 3 gr to compare.

Digital Dan
04-21-2016, 10:39 PM
OK, Just for grins I had to give this a try.
I happened to be in the shop today working on other stuff and I grabbed 5 fired hornet cases,
I deprimed with a punch to leave the cases unsized.
I reprimed with a Winchester SRP
I hand lubed a Herters 43.5 grain copy of the Lyman 225438 and left the GC off - unnsized about 0.226"
Hand seated it into the mouth of the case - friction fit and left it long.
Loaded the round into the 20" barreled rifle. Closing the action seated the bullet.

-Keep in mind this big test is a little short on data points:-P-

Shot the round at a scrap of wood (fur) at about two feet. Nothing.
The rifle's action made more noise than the primer.
That told me the bullet did not exit the barrel - Yup - I got a rod and pushed it out - it made a measured 2.5" up the tube.
SO, I made and second round but this time added exactly one grain of 3F Black
Well -This time I went outside - smart huh? [smilie=s: That round took the small block of wood off the trash can and 20 feet into the back yard.

I'll have to try a pellet next.

If'n fella wanted to protect his thumb in this test he ought to use lino that is at least .003" over groove and maybe add some copper to the alloy.