PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my Rossi M92/357 yesterday

Buckshot
05-08-2008, 12:56 AM
.................Stopped by Big 5 on my way home from the range Tuesday and after only a minor hassle corraling a helpfull salesbeing, I was on my way home. It's cute! :-) I thought it looked smaller then my 24" octagon barreled one in 45 Colt. Other then the barrel being slimmer and 2" (20" vs 24") shorter it's the same. BTW, the round barrel on the new rifle was nicely polished before being blued vs the ground finish of the octagon barrel rifle.

The wood is a nice brown, and some unknown close grained hardwood. Overall the fit and finish is well done. The slab sided action is very nicely polished with no dished screwhead holes, and I'd rate the wood/metal fit as 90% if not a tad better. I could find only 2 negatives. One was the barrel/forend band. It seems too heavy as if they make one size and then machine it out on the inside to fit whatever it's going on. A minor point.

Second is the buttplate. It's basicly fine except the edges are too sharp. Like it's just stamped, bent to shape, blued and screwed on. It would sure be nice if the edges were broken. The bluing on the rifle is very nicely done. It's a nice deep blue and matches from muzzle to buttplate.

I didn't bother taking it apart like I did the 45 Colt rifle. Checking closely it appeared to be much more cleanly machined internally then the other one. There were no obvious tag ends, pig's ears, or swarf floating around inside. In fact it was quite smooth and it has a decent trigger as an added plus. The hammer does have more side to side wobble then I'd like to see but it isn't going to hang up on anything, but it's just irksome.

Between now and next Tuesday I'll load up some different stuff as a tryout to see how it does. O-boy, a new toy! :-)

....................Buckshot

Ramslammer
05-08-2008, 04:45 AM
G'Day Buckshot
There's nothing like a new plaything!!!! One of the blokes here in Tasmania used his Rossi for the first time at the state titles and he shot like a champion. The fella who won was using a round barrel model in 357 for pistol cartridge with factory sights and pulled a 35. cleaned us up he did. I hope you enjoy your new toy and it shoots true.
Juddy

Four Fingers of Death
05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
they are a great little rifle. I bought one real cheap as a back up rifle and as a loaner for new shooters. It turned out to be my main rifle for the past few years. It is the one I am shooting in my avitar. Cheapest lever gun I ever bought and the best one so far. I have just bought a 1873 Uberti in 44/40 which will be my match gun. The old Rossi will still be traveling along as a back up. One great gun!

runfiverun
05-08-2008, 05:20 PM
so far mine has liked everything i've gave it long and short.
except for one boolit style, none of my other 357's like it either so i guess i will just shoot the other designs in it.

NoDakJak
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I really like mine in 357. Shoots great, specially with 38 Special brass with the Lyman 358429 seated over 11.0 grains of 2400. The only complaint is that the springs have to have been borrowed from a Jackhammer. A spring kit will fix that though. As great as it is, I like my long barreled rifle in 44 magnum even better. Have replaced the rear sights with Lyman peeps and the front with Millet blades wit the white line. Mine old eyes can see the target again! Neil

Hipshot
05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Love mine-------have had it 20 yrs. !

The only negative is the loading gate spring is way too stiff and the INSIDE of the receiver at the loading gate is a little too sharp---needs to be busted a little! Yeah I know, I know, I have had the rifle for 20 years and still haven't slicked it up yet-----Yes it is still on the list!
Also .357 ammo shoots abour 4+ inches high at 50 yds----again I haven't shot it much with the mag. ammo as I usually use hot .38 loads or midrange .357 loads!

Cool gun though!
Hipshot

WyrTwister
05-08-2008, 08:38 PM
.................Stopped by Big 5 on my way home from the range Tuesday and after only a minor hassle corraling a helpfull salesbeing, I was on my way home. It's cute! :-) I thought it looked smaller then my 24" octagon barreled one in 45 Colt. Other then the barrel being slimmer and 2" (20" vs 24") shorter it's the same. BTW, the round barrel on the new rifle was nicely polished before being blued vs the ground finish of the octagon barrel rifle.

The wood is a nice brown, and some unknown close grained hardwood. Overall the fit and finish is well done. The slab sided action is very nicely polished with no dished screwhead holes, and I'd rate the wood/metal fit as 90% if not a tad better. I could find only 2 negatives. One was the barrel/forend band. It seems too heavy as if they make one size and then machine it out on the inside to fit whatever it's going on. A minor point.

Second is the buttplate. It's basicly fine except the edges are too sharp. Like it's just stamped, bent to shape, blued and screwed on. It would sure be nice if the edges were broken. The bluing on the rifle is very nicely done. It's a nice deep blue and matches from muzzle to buttplate.

I didn't bother taking it apart like I did the 45 Colt rifle. Checking closely it appeared to be much more cleanly machined internally then the other one. There were no obvious tag ends, pig's ears, or swarf floating around inside. In fact it was quite smooth and it has a decent trigger as an added plus. The hammer does have more side to side wobble then I'd like to see but it isn't going to hang up on anything, but it's just irksome.

Between now and next Tuesday I'll load up some different stuff as a tryout to see how it does. O-boy, a new toy! :-)

....................Buckshot

I would be sure to give the bolt , leber " nose " and carrier a good greasing .

God bless
Wyr

Buckshot
05-16-2008, 03:53 AM
..............I took the new Rossi Puma M92 clone to the range for the first time Tuesday. I didn't have the time to load anything for it so just took what I had on hand. That was some commercial swaged 158gr SWC's over 3.3grs of W231 (these boolits came in five 25 lb shot bags I paid a guy at the range $20 several years back). Next up was the Lee 148gr TLWC over the same charge. These had to be single loaded as I had them seated out to set in the throat of my Ruger BH.

Finally the last was some R-P 140gr JHP's over 17.5grs of W296. The date inside the lid was 9-96 so you can see I don't shoot much when it comes to 'peppier' type handgun loads. They were well aged!

First up was 5 rounds of the swaged 158gr load. I'm VERY happy to report that at 50 yards it put 4 of them into a tidy inch circle and one shot was out enough to be called a flier although with it, the group would have been about 1.5". The Tumble Lubed Lee WC's did almost exactly the same, including the flier! Neither load produced any recoil to speak of.

Lastly it was the jacketed load. It produced a group no better then the cast loads, but it didn't have a flier so actually it WAS better, to be honest I suppose. We had a Santa Ana wind condition Tuesday afternoon so offhand shooting was a bit tougher then usual, however it wasn't TOO hard to hit the 10x14 inch plate at 200 meters. I will have to say, "Hit on occasion" as I had to hold about 18" or so to the left to account for the wind and there is nothing there to aim AT!

I had a great time and the rifle operated flawlessly. The 158gr lead SWC's had also been seated out, and out of 50 rounds fired I think there was only 3-4 times I had to ease the lever back down a bit and then raise it to close the action. That was ammo, and not the rifle. The 140gr jacketed stuff was 100%.

The rear sight needs help though. The buckhorn spring is rivited to the dovetail that fits in the barrel dovetail slot in the barrel. It isn't rigid and is easily moved (a tiny amount, but still moved). Also the dovetail is loose. I needed to move the reat sight to the right a smidge. With a brass drift and a 4 oz hammer at the first tap I almost launched it out of the barrel dovetail :veryconfu The front sight also needs to be a bit taller. At the rear sights' lowest setting it was a bit high at 200 meters (jacketed, NOT the lead loads).

I'm pleased. It's a neat little rifle and seems egar to shoot.

................Buckshot

Junior1942
05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Santa brought mine circa 1978, and it's been my favorite firearm ever since.

Jon K
05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Rick,

I have a Marbles Tang Sight, interested? You know my motto "Buy Hi-Sell Low, we deal in volume"

Jon

corvette8n
05-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Buckshot:
I put a lace on leather buttpad I got from Cabelas, since I have long arms this helped the lop some plus that leather looks good with the large loop lever.

Puma/LSI 1892 16" large loop .45 Colt
I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Ramslammer
05-16-2008, 06:19 PM
G'Day Buckshot
One of the blokes at the club ended taking out his ramp and still had to aim under the targets @100m. When I get my hands on it I'll install a .500" front sight so he can use his tang sight, as I installed this and at the lowest setting this also was high even @ 200m. It seems to be about the only problem anyone I know has encountered.
Juddy