PDA

View Full Version : DIY arbor press push through sizer

darrondb
04-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Greetings All!

First post to this great site and I just wanted to share a project that I have been working on. I can’t take credit for the original idea as I virtually copied the design from member “Gunoil”. I think he posted some specifics about how he constructed his press, but being the adventurous sort, I pressed (ha, a joke!) on, armed with only a vague memory of what his set up looked like. I will try to find his original comment/thread and update this post. EDIT: Post #12 here:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Lee-sizing-die (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?274370-Upside-down-press-for-sizing-using-Lee-sizing-die)

The idea is to create a nose down push-through bullet sizer that you can use with either powder coated bullets or tumble lubed cast bullets where the resized bullet falls into a container upon completion of the sizing process. As an added bonus, with only minimal modifications this can be used as a “bulge buster” for pistol brass. I realize that there are commercial presses or modifications to commercial presses that would accomplish the same thing with little effort. However, if I learned anything from my father, it is that if there is a home brew alternative to a store bought device, it is always the more “interesting” option, no matter the time, money, or effort invested! And besides, I always need a new project!
The meat and bones of the operation is the Harbor Freight 1-ton arbor press (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-a...ress-3552.html (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html)), which can be had for about $45 if you wait until you have a coupon. Other bits and pieces needed for the project are:

Lee 4 hole turret (http://leeprecision.com/4-hole-turret.html)
Lee lube and sizing kit die in appropriate size(s) (http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casti...nd-sizing-kit/ (http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/lube-and-sizing-kit/)). This kit consists of a push through style bullet sizing die, a push pin that fits into a press shell holder, and a bottle of really sticky goop.
Lee hand press ram (http://leeprecision.com/ram-hand-press.html)
1”x4”x4” aluminum plate (a block of wood could also be substituted)
Small scrap of flashing to make ramp to direct sized bullet into tray
Miscellaneous bolts, drill bits, taps, saws, and profanity/bandages for when you break off a cheap tap in the cast frame of the arbor press
Local machine shop or machinist friend if you are like me and don’t have access to a mill or lathe.

Total cost for the project: I don’t know. That way I can honestly rattle off the prices for the individual cheap component to the Mrs. without throwing out a number that would get me in trouble! Most of the pieces I bought off of evilbay or Amazon, depending on where I could find the better deal.

Step 1) Source components: Acquire arbor press from HF! This is also a perfect time to buy cheap drywall tools for the basement that you are supposed to be working on in your “free time”. Also, sometimes HF offers free LED flashlights with your purchase. Get all of those that you can, they work fantastically for storing dead AA batteries. This way you can store dead batteries all around the house and in each vehicle! An acceptable alternative to the flashlight is the free tape measure. I have 18 free tape measures at home and can’t find a single one!

Step 2) Stage project: Clear off a small space on the garage work bench/kitchen counter/back patio to set previously purchased arbor press while you source other parts, get distracted by various hunting and fishing seasons, forget about project, have a second child, remember project, wait for parts to ship from who knows where, misplace the various components, and then rediscover the project while searching for an air filter for that dang lawn mower that never wants to start. Tangentially related to the subject, does anyone in NE Kansas have an easy starting lawn mower that they want to get rid of for cheap (pronounced as “free”)?

Step 3) Breakdown: Disassemble arbor press and clean all the communist rust preventative goop off. Make sure that you put all the individual parts into some sort of container and put said container on the floor. This makes it easier for the family toddler to find them all at once and scatter them through the yard or throw at the dog.

Step 4) Skilled labor: Call up machinist friend or talk to the next door neighbor that knows everyone in the area. They will point you in the right direction as far as finding someone with the appropriate skill set. Of course, if you happen to possess the equipment and skills to complete this on your own, go right ahead .The general idea here is to:

Cut down reloading press ram to approximately 1.5 inches, retaining only the end that is machined to accept universal shell holders.
Bore the appropriate sized hole in the end of the arbor press ram so that the shell holder portion of the reloading press ram will slide inside.
Drill and tap the side of the ram to accept a set screw to lock the shell holder into the ram.

From my experience, the machinist “friend” will promise that this is “no big deal” and he will have it done “tomorrow.” Expect to have your ram assembly back sometime between Tuesday and July, 2038. If you get impatient, remember that if you weren’t such an adventurous sort, you would have just bought the darn commercial option and been using it that evening. Price wise, it will likely cost somewhere between a case of beer and helping said “friend” move his new 64 gun safe into his basement.

Step 5) Unskilled labor: Using what you remember from 8th grade geometry class, layout and drill two “small” (I don’t remember the measurements, use whatever drill bit/bolts you have laying around) holes in the aluminum plate. These two holes will be used to bolt the aluminum spacer plate to the arbor press.
The base of the arbor press will then be drilled and tapped so that the aluminum spacer plate can be secured to the press. Make sure to do the drilling indoors and at the moment in time when the Mrs. has just got the new baby to sleep. This is also a great time to discuss how much money you are saving by building this yourself and the strange shortage of drywall that is preventing you from finishing the basement.

Step 6) Make lots of aluminum chips: Replace the completed ram into the press (assuming that your machinist “friend” actually completed it and didn’t lose it, die, or move away). Use the ram and shell holder to align the turret so that when a die is placed into the turret it will be directly under the ram. Mark the four die holes and the center hole on the aluminum spacer block. The center hole will be drilled and tapped so that the turret can be secured onto the spacer. The four “die holes” will be drilled so that the bottom of the sizer die sets down into the plate. I drilled 1” holes here to allow a bit of wiggle room to account for my errors in calculation and missing tape measure. I used my garage-sale-special band saw to notch out the front of the spacer plate so that I can see the size marked on the die. If you don’t have a band saw, wait until your local city-wide garage sale weekend and buy it from your neighbor. He will promise you that “it worked great the last time I used it” and that the “smoke you smell is normal.” Once you complete this build, you can sell the band saw on next years city-wide garage sale.

Step 7) Assembly: Put the whole mess together. If you’ve made it this far, you don’t need any instructions on how it goes together. If you think of it, you can fashion a little ramp to direct the sized bullets out the front of the press into a container.

Step 7A) Optional: Customize your creation! Make it yours! Add some “pinch point” stickers, paint it metallic fleck orange, add LED lights. The possibilities are endless!

Step 8) Put to work: Bask in the glory of your creation and size some bullets!!

Again, I cannot claim this as my original idea. I happened to be bored at work today and thought I might create something interesting for my first post! If you have any questions, ask away. I will try to be as helpful as I can since when I am sitting at my computer typing, it gives the appearance that I am working.

DdB

MANDANTORY SAFETY WARNING: Wear safety glasses! This thing will be of no use if you blind yourself with an aluminum chip. Hearing protection is also advised if you have a significant other/new baby at home. They can be awfully loud and distracting while you are trying to think. Don’t set the press on the hood of your wife’s car. It will scratch the heck out of it (the car, not the press). Also, don’t drop it on your foot/toddler/pet. It will crack the floor and get blood everywhere.

Lucky Joe
04-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Good job and a great read, your father's advise was right on the money. And welcome to the forum.

geezer56
04-07-2016, 11:12 PM
You sir, are a masterful storyteller. And a gifted machinist. This looks like a fun project.

fast ronnie
04-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Have you tried putting live primers in the carpet just before your wife vacuums? It's almost as much fun as laughing at youtube videos while she's "sleeping?" in the next room. The metal chips in the carpet are good for another laugh.

Whiterabbit
04-08-2016, 12:38 AM
Your dad was right. I always say "If I can make it myself for twice the price, well, I'll do it anyways." That way, it's mine.