PDA

View Full Version : Oiling an Air Gun?

jonp
04-07-2016, 08:00 PM
My wife gave me an air compressor for Christmas so I bought a Hitachi Brad Nailer to put up molding, siding in the kitchen etc and this is my first one. The directions are pretty good except for one thing. It says to oil the air nailer every day with a few drops of oil but doesn't say how to do it.

Do I have to unscrew the air plug in off of the bottom or can I put oil directly into it and have the air work it through the gun?

Do I have to use air gun oil? Most on the internet agree that as long as it is not a detergent oil then its fine. Everything from 3 in 1 to Marvel Mystery will work fine for this. Of course, I immediately thought of gun oil and I have several types on hand. Will this work, something like Rem Oil?

Anyone one have air guns and can point me in the right direction? This little $70 gun is excellent and saves me a ton of time.

M-Tecs
04-07-2016, 08:07 PM
Just put oil directly into it the male nipple and have the air work it through the gun.

Hogdaddy
04-07-2016, 08:10 PM
just put oil directly into it the male nipple and have the air work it through the gun.

^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ; )
h/d

fryboy
04-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Many oils will work,some better than others,think thin oil, auto trans fluid,etc
Doesn't need to be every day or even every use,depends on how hard you use it and how long it sits between uses ,2-3 drops should be fine but give it about 6 the first time ,it'll also help to store it head down that way the oil stays in the head

nockhunter
04-07-2016, 08:25 PM
What they said, use "air tool oil"

Mike

country gent
04-07-2016, 08:31 PM
You want a thin light oil. something very refined with little detergants. There are oils available at home depot, lowess, any tool supply shop or even Napa i believe has an small container ( pint sized lasts a long time) and a few drops is all it takes. there are inline oilers that you can install in the line and they will provide the needed oil automatically. On a tool meant to be used for finish work watch the amount of oil close. Excess will blow thru the exhaust staining wood paint or finished surfaces.

jsizemore
04-07-2016, 11:53 PM
1 or 2 drops only.

jonp
04-08-2016, 04:08 AM
Thanks, guys. I saw the air tool oil in a plastic squeeze bottle. It's $6 or so but I don't use the gun much so it would last years and being cheap and having oil on hand I thought I would use what was on hand.

Jeff Michel
04-08-2016, 04:31 AM
Light mineral oil or if you shoot an air rifle, silicone oil

Hickory
04-08-2016, 05:59 AM
I use to work in a cabinet factory, did it for 7 years. We used staple gun and brad nailers. To keep from getting oil on the wood we were told to never put more then one or two drops of oil in the male nipple of the gun per 10 hour day.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-08-2016, 10:15 AM
just wait now you will need a framing nailer and a stapler that shoots Arrow T50 maybe a coil nailer

the staplers are great for furniture repairs putting the apolstry back, back in place after replacing the bolt in the kids sheared off on the lazy boy

nothing like driving 9/16 staples flush in hard wood plywood with the light pull of the trigger

the warning is when nails are easy to put in you go through a box of a thousand real fast

I use Marvel air tool oil http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-MM080R-Air-Tool-Oil/dp/B000BQSYJ2/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41OOhVqzDHL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR92%2C135_&refRID=1GF69G4ARV5SMDNDH158

bedbugbilly
04-08-2016, 11:12 AM
$6 for a container of air gun oil is a pretty cheap price to pay for keeping your tool in good condition. I have had many air oilers over the years and yes, while the container of air gun oil will last a long time, I've never had any problems in finding other uses for it in the shop. My guess is if you have a brad nailer . . somewhere down the line you'll be adding a finish nail nailer and who knows, a nailer for framing work as well. I'm "old fashioned" and have put hundreds of pounds of finish nails in trim work over the years . . . but once you use a finish nailer, you'll never be without one.

jonp
04-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Im re-siding the house this year with cement hardi board so that was the original plan for the compressor. I am going to buy a framing nailer. My buddy who is in construction recommended the strip nailer not the coil type but didnt have a preference between plastic or paper strip. Plastic is cheaper so i was going to go with that unless someone talks me out of it

fryboy
04-08-2016, 01:37 PM
For cement siding forget a framing nailer and plastic or paper strips ,you're going to want a coil siding gun ( nods to max and haitachi )
As for framing guns I'm biased I make my living with guns ( yeah,I get alot of trigger time - just not with our hobby :( ) max for me please, lighter weight harder hitting and more compact ,check out their high pressure series if you want to see what I drool over )
Somewhat depends upon your area,some codes call for round/full heads only ( framing not siding ) most full headed fasteners are only plastic or wire ,here I could go either way and clipped heads are cheaper and more compact,I prefer paper ,had too many wires in my fingers and plastic shreds seem to find their way behind my safety glasses as well as more of a pain to clean up ,pasalode has a gun that can take either full or clipped heads but their newer version is bigger and bulkier ,the older version is still around and can be found for a coupla hundred on sale from time to time ,check out nailgundepot.com
If I was on my Puter instead of the fone I'd leave you a few links
Senco has a few oil-less guns,they cost more and I use a couple for various trim and finish work

jonp
04-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Thanks, fryboy. I'm trying to remember what I asked my friend and I think I just asked about framing nailers and not siding. You saved me from a mistake, sorta. I will get a framing nailer eventually but for now the siding/sheathing is what I'm interested in and I'm glad you pointed out the difference. I didn't know they made specific siding nailers and Max even has one that specifically says Hardi Plank. I looked at Max online and I think they are out of my price range. I'm not sure I will use one enough to justify the cost and I sure won't use one enough for the $800 High Pressure :holysheep

I might get a Harbor Freight one. haha, just kidding. Hitachi, Bostich and Makita seem to be highly rated. I'll go through some websites and take a look and I think the coil nailer will do the trick. I did buy some Hitachi Air Tool Oil at Lowes. It was less than $4 so cheap insurance.

fryboy
04-08-2016, 07:13 PM
You're welcome amigo ,yeah I drool over the high pressure stuff lolz
Shopping around is worthy,the nailgundepot site is one of the better ones,like most other places they have sales ,for me max is worth it,the main squeeze I use was actually cheaper than some other name brands and has out lasted them as well check out the Hitachi siding gun ,by changing nails you can also use it for framing ,granted the coil framing naiks tend to be the priciest ( not counting the galvanized of course )

jonp
04-08-2016, 09:07 PM
I did find a grip rite on sale with rebate for about $190 but the hitachi nv75an has me interested. $100 more but can double as an all around framing/siding/decking gun. Might be all I ever need in one air gun although it only does up to 3in but that is good I think. I can't ever remember using more than 3in for studs.

Finster101
04-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Marvel Mystery Oil if you can find it. I use my air tools every day and have never had a motor failure. Now trigger kits and anvil failures are a different matter!

aephilli822
04-08-2016, 10:42 PM
oil it after use, think about all that cold, moist air blowing out the oil you put in, then the moisture condensing to cause corrosion during storage

Nose Dive
04-11-2016, 01:28 AM
AIR TOOL OIL... no 'motor oil' or things like that... they all have 'solvents and detergents' that 'wreck' trigger kits and o-rings....

Simply..motor oils for motors...air tool oil for air tools.. air oil is cheap and is the right thing to use.... there is a 'air tool oiler' kit for air tools that you add the oil too...it screws in at outlet of the air compressor this 'oils the air' and is really easy and cheap... and if I add the 'air dryer' at the compressor outlet,,,,then the 'oiler', i have never had a lube problem with an air tool...You add 'air tool oil' to the luber every other day or so....be sure now....never ever hook up any breathing equipment if you have an oiler and dryer to you shop air supply.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

MaLar
04-11-2016, 01:50 AM
$6 for a container of air gun oil is a pretty cheap price to pay for keeping your tool in good condition. I have had many air oilers over the years and yes, while the container of air gun oil will last a long time, I've never had any problems in finding other uses for it in the shop. My guess is if you have a brad nailer . . somewhere down the line you'll be adding a finish nail nailer and who knows, a nailer for framing work as well. I'm "old fashioned" and have put hundreds of pounds of finish nails in trim work over the years . . . but once you use a finish nailer, you'll never be without one. What he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonp
04-11-2016, 04:18 AM
AIR TOOL OIL... no 'motor oil' or things like that... they all have 'solvents and detergents' that 'wreck' trigger kits and o-rings....

Simply..motor oils for motors...air tool oil for air tools.. air oil is cheap and is the right thing to use.... there is a 'air tool oiler' kit for air tools that you add the oil too...it screws in at outlet of the air compressor this 'oils the air' and is really easy and cheap... and if I add the 'air dryer' at the compressor outlet,,,,then the 'oiler', i have never had a lube problem with an air tool...You add 'air tool oil' to the luber every other day or so....be sure now....never ever hook up any breathing equipment if you have an oiler and dryer to you shop air supply.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Like this one? http://www.amazon.com/TCP-Global%C2%AE-Brand-Oiler-Lubricator/dp/B002L9BK48/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1460362498&sr=8-5&keywords=air+tool+oiler

$10 or $15 for an automatic oiler is pretty cheap insurance. I'll order one so I don't forget to oil the nailer and get a dedicated hose for just those tools that need it. Thanks for the tip! I always thought of those oilers as the big things in shops, didn't know they made mini ones for air compressors like that.