PDA

View Full Version : lube/gas check sequence question....

ssn vet
05-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I just cast my first ever boolits ..... as shown here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=30399

.312-155 (not the soup can version)

I have the Lee sizing die, liquid Alox,some Beewax/Alox "hard" lube, a pie pan, and .30 cal gas checks.....

I had read that "double" lubing could give good results.....but am unsure of the sequence to pull this off.

The boolits cast at .312 down at the lube rings.....

the sizing die is .311

I'm shooting these in a converted Saiga (AK type rifle) and have not slugged the barrel.

Any body want to help me come up with a plan of attack?

docone31
05-07-2008, 09:37 PM
I put the gas check on the bottom of the bullet, and push through.
Sometimes, I get missing wax on a lub ring. I keep a small amount of lube handy, and just run it through. Usually, the extra that comes from sizing.
I have not used the Alox. Didn't seem to need to.
I do have that particular mold and that is with that casting. I use WW, and tin.

454PB
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't see any advantage to double lubing, but here's what I'd try:

Press on the gas check, run it through the Lee sizer using a very small amount of resizing lube to ease it's trip, lube in the pan with the 50/50 Alox and use a "kake cutter" to remove them from the lube once it's set up. To protect the 50/50 lube in the grooves while you are apply the LLA, hold them by the nose and dip them, rather than the traditional "roll them around in a bowl".

ssn vet
05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
I done have a proper lube sizer......just the little Lee die, which I've never used....

I'd like to try the 50/50 in a pie pan...

does this stuff remain sticky after you punch the pullets out of the cake?

docone31
05-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I add a litt carnuba wax to my lube. It is really more 55% 45%. 55% beeswax.
It is gooey, both in the die, and the pan.
In reality, it is kinda fun to make the batch, pour it, punch them out, and size them. I always feel a sense of accomplishment when I am done. Even better when they shoot well.
When I do the pan method, I let it sit for a day, then bap the bottom to drop the cake. I tried using a flipper on the cake, but it made a royal mess. Lots of bullets did not get waxed.
The important part is getting the bullets up to heat, then pouring the wax. Just pouring the lube on cool bullets leaves a lot of spaces unlubed.

runfiverun
05-08-2008, 10:33 AM
with the lee sizer and lla
you want to thin out the alox with some mineral spirits for your first coat.
put a few drops on them and shake around to form a light coat, let dry well
then check while sizing.
then do your other lubing as normal.