PDA

View Full Version : 300blk molds

aquarist
04-07-2016, 11:22 AM
I am working on gearing up to cast and reload 300blk. One question that I've been asked several times by my range buddy is "Since .308 and 300blk are very similar projectile, would it be possible to get a mold that you can cast for both?" I did some thinking and a bit of research and have come to the conclusion that it is possible, but not sure if it's recommended. I've read that if you use decent lead, a GC, and powder coat you can get your projectiles to around 2,000-2,200 fps, not sure if this is true or not, so please let me know if I've found some bad information. IF it is possible to cast for .308 with the same mold as my 300blk, my main question and point of this thread, is will this mold work well:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30_327&products_id=1848

If not is there a mold that will work for both? I know the above mold is designed towards the K31 swiss, but not sure if it would work for other rifles as well.

If it is not possible or recommended to use the same mold as 300blk and 308, or not advisable to cast for 308 period I have two other molds I've picked out, but always open to suggestions!!

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=958

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=205

Let me know what you guys would do in my situation. Obviously I don't want to spend a bunch of extra money if I don't have to, the more I save, the more I can put towards lead and propellant.

Smoke4320
04-07-2016, 11:50 AM
The NOE 247 is a GREAT subsonic bullet .. I even have a load for MY 300 blkout going 1400 FPS with a HP .. was absolutely deadly to deer last year !!

with that said the NOE 150 the. Lee 155, MP 159 and several others are very good for both 308 and 300 blkout ..
a few have had issues with the Lee 230 but not so much with the NOE 247..
the big issue is will both rifles use the same ACTUAL Dia bullet to shoot well.. Remember its easier to buy slightly big and size down or use PC to increase size .002 to .003

your first step will be to Slug both barrels for you know what you have. Figure .002 to .003 Larger than bore size for your finished projectile

xacex
04-07-2016, 12:05 PM
You will not be able to get 2000 fps with any of the projectiles you picked in the blackout. All of them are to heavy for those speeds. I do go to over 2100 fps in a 16 inch barrel, but only with a bullet that weighs no more than 130 grains. The problem you run into with combining the needs of a 308 bullet, as well as a blackout bullet is the compromise between speed with the blackout, and accuracy with the 308. If you are satisfied with 1700 fps in the blackout with the 169 grain bullet you can use the elco in both.

aquarist
04-07-2016, 12:21 PM
You will not be able to get 2000 fps with any of the projectiles you picked in the blackout. All of them are to heavy for those speeds. I do go to over 2100 fps in a 16 inch barrel, but only with a bullet that weighs no more than 130 grains. The problem you run into with combining the needs of a 308 bullet, as well as a blackout bullet is the compromise between speed with the blackout, and accuracy with the 308. If you are satisfied with 1700 fps in the blackout with the 169 grain bullet you can use the elco in both.

I am not trying to get over 2,000 fps, I just heard it was possible, so decided to come here and find out the actual truth. I am just curious if I can cast for both 300blk and 308. I know 300blk is not an issue, but have just started researching on the 308, but have heard if you use a GC and PC them, you can use them safely if you keep it at a lower speed. Neither of these are going to be used for hunting, just target shooting, so accuracy is something I'm looking for but they don't have to be too fast.

The NOE 247 is a GREAT subsonic bullet .. I even have a load for MY 300 blkout going 1400 FPS with a HP .. was absolutely deadly to deer last year !!

with that said the NOE 150 the. Lee 155, MP 159 and several others are very good for both 308 and 300 blkout ..
a few have had issues with the Lee 230 but not so much with the NOE 247..
the big issue is will both rifles use the same ACTUAL Dia bullet to shoot well.. Remember its easier to buy slightly big and size down or use PC to increase size .002 to .003

your first step will be to Slug both barrels for you know what you have. Figure .002 to .003 Larger than bore size for your finished projectile

Great advice on sizing and slugging the barrels, I am going to try and find some soft lead round balls in .312 or larger so I can get some accurate readings. Thats one of the main reasons I have not bought a mold yet, I am not entirely sure what size is going to work best. I did open a thread a month or so ago and was able to get a few members who were willing to send me some awesome projectiles from a variety of molds to test out. Off the top of my head I know I did get some of the Lee 150gr projectiles and some of the NOE 247gr. So I can test those out and see what works well. I do have to get another sizer, I just have on in .309.