PDA

View Full Version : When it all comes together...

rbstern
04-06-2016, 06:10 PM
The wife and I are on a slow motion plan toward semi-retirement, winding down our time as suburbians, to a cabin we already have out in the woods. We use the place as a vacation spot, but the plan is to live there full time in the not too distant future. Slowly, but surely, I've transferred my shooting hobbies to the cabin. I built myself a range on the property and I rarely shoot at the local suburban ranges anymore. I moved my reloading setup there over the winter. Not casting boolits there yet, but that's next.

Over the weekend, my in-laws are visiting with us at the cabin. My teenage niece asked if she could bring a couple of her friends along. Lots of fun things for young people to do there, and they're good kids, so of course they are welcome. They're doing the usual hang out stuff, riding ATVs, canoeing, exploring the woods, etc. Then my niece asks if they can shoot. I've shot with her many times, but her two friends have never shot a gun before.

I grab the H&R Handi in 357, complete with a 9mm suppressor threaded on. I load up a batch of subsonic 38 specials using the Lee 358-125 RF and Royal Scot powder on the Lee Classic Turret.

A little bit of instruction on safety and mechanical operation of the rifle, how to aim, achieving accuracy, etc., and before long, tin cans are flying, bullseyes are getting punched, along with big smiles and "can I do that again?" They blow thru 50 rounds like it's a small bag of popcorn. One of the girls says to me: "I was so scared to try this, but I'm so glad I did! It's so much fun!"

Couldn't agree more.

The scarcity of 22LR, (and now the expense, since it's become somewhat available again), have made cast 38s and the Handi my go to gun for teaching new shooters. Used to do that with a Marlin 880 or a Rossi 22. The H&R with the suppressor brings the added benefit of not needing hearing protection, which improves communication when coaching new shooters. Really a terrific rifle.

sharps4590
04-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Well done rb!!!! Well done sir!

nagantguy
04-06-2016, 06:51 PM
That's the way!!! Good for you show them first hand that they have been lied to about how evil guns and gun owners are and they just might start questioning the other lies they have been fed!

4719dave
04-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Yes Well done sir ,They will remember that for a long time ..

PaulG67
04-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Very well done rbstern.