PDA

View Full Version : Getting started, phase II

yondering
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi, new guy here, thought I'd introduce myself as this is my first post. I've found lots of good info on this forum in the past few days and I'm looking forward to reading more.

I’ve been handloading for about 10 years, but haven’t done a whole lot of casting, probably not more than 200-300 boolits total. I’m naturally an experimenter, and a mechanical test engineer by profession, so, with rising ammo prices, I’m looking to get back into bullet casting and tinkering with different bullet styles.

I’m currently using a little Lee electric pot, I think the 4# version, with a ladle, but I’d like to step up to some 6 cavity molds for higher production and I’m guessing I’ll need a bigger pot as well. I was looking at the Lee Pro 4-20 pot in 110v, any comments good or bad? I have not previously used a 6 cavity mold before, I’m guessing a bottom pour pot is better for this than a ladle? (I’m pretty sure my ladle won’t hold enough lead for 6 holes, I’m planning on starting with a .452 200gr 6-banger.)

I’m pretty well set up with .45 Colt bullet molds, but I’m also interested in finding/learning more about heavy flat nose boolits for my 30-06 and 35 Whelen.

leftiye
05-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Look up a ladle called a rivett, I think. Has a tube from the bottom of the ladle bowl to the spuot, and picks up lead from the bottom of bowl. No slag, and the lead poured is as hot as any in the bowl just then (not cooled from being on the surface. these come in several capacities from 1Lb.on up to at least 6LBs. I don't use a ladle. Lyman pots have adjustable pour rates, Lee doesn't. In the case of the lyman, I wouldn't hesitate to pour with a 6 cavity mold. I haven't had a Lee pot. As for 1, 2, or 6 cavity, they all work. singles are best when accuracy is paramount.

zipdog
05-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Look up a ladle called a rivett, I think. Has a tube from the bottom of the ladle bowl to the spuot

Do you mean a Rowell ladle? It fits your description.

HORNET
05-07-2008, 06:56 PM
yondering, welcome to the best website that I know of (well, the best G-PG rated one). Look around a while, lots of helpful info around and I'm sure we can think of all kinds of new and interesting toys that you NEED to get.
The LEE 4-20 is pretty good for the money, even if it is a drip-o-matic. The temperature control isn't very good but can be worked around or replaced (think full PID control and Auto-tune at setpoint- or just a reostat and thermometer).
I think the one leftiye mentions is the Rowell ladle. Lots of heated discussions on here on bottom-pour vs ladle. FWIW, my Lee's have a #4-40 screw in the spouts and the works are removed.
Abandon hope all ye who enter here.....

zipdog
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
My Lee 4-20 drips from time to time, but all I have to do to stop it is to twist the plunger a few time with a screwdriver....no big deal.

454PB
05-07-2008, 11:13 PM
The Lee Pro-4-20 DOES have an adjustable flow rate. Keep the spout clear with a dental pick (or a nail held with pliers or vice grips) and the dripping is stopped or held to a very minor rate. I actually went to bottom pouring when I bought my first four cavity mould. Using a dipper for more than two cavities seemed crude to me.

Cherokee
05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
I've got 3 of the Lee 20# bottom pour pots and they are very good. Maybe drip a little but you've already been told about that. And the flow rate is adjustable. Lee 6 cv molds are great. Do it !!

yondering
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
One more question for now, on the Lee 6 cavity molds, will the Lyman or RCBS handles work, or do I need Lee handles?

wiljen
05-08-2008, 03:36 PM
You need lee.

The Lee handles will work on the lyman 2 or 4 cavs, but the reverse isn't true. not enough depth between the pivot point and the tip of the arms.

yondering
05-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Ah, thank you. I'd read the Lee worked on the RCBS/Lyman, but the reverse wasn't mentioned.

More stuff to buy, of course! May as well get another mold or two while I'm at it!