PDA

View Full Version : Zero turn mower

Boz330
04-04-2016, 03:41 PM
Just got the word that my Scott mower transmission is toast. Looking for comments on a zero turn mower. I don't need a professional model but would like best bang for the buck. Something under 5K would be within the budget or am I dreaming.

Bob

Bo1
04-04-2016, 03:49 PM
Howdy Boz,

I started asking around the different dealships, and it seems that municipalities turn in their mowers to upgrade when they have money that "has to be spent". I picked up a John Deere 737 zero turn 60 inch cut mower for around 3500 dollars that had about 350 hours on it. Even though it is green, I have had it for about 4 years now, and it is one of the best mowers I have ever had... Might look into a used commercial mower rather than a new "consumer grade"... Just a thought..

Bo

Smoke4320
04-04-2016, 03:57 PM
If looking at Zero turn Stay Away from the hardware/lumber yards Lowes, Home Depot ect .. These are NOT John Deere or Husky
may have the name/colors/logos but are just branded MTD mowers.. vasty inferior in materials ect to the Real JD /Husky mowers
did not believe it at first then was shown what to look for IE metal thickness, bearings, placement of rollers, parking brake ect ..
many differences
Look at JD Z425 and UP for a lasting mower
Grasshopper is nice
True Husky are also real good
you will be pushing the $5000.00 mark but get a 4 year warranty

country gent
04-04-2016, 03:58 PM
I had one of the Cubcadet zero turns for awhile untill someone wanted it worse than I did. It was a good mower. I have water cooled grasshopper now and really like it. One plus some of the zero turns is you walk up the deck like short wide steps to get on it. I have mobility issues so this is a plus to me.Dad had a Toro for yeas and liked it also. My grasshopper is 52" cut grass catcher and mows at 12 mph. I cut 2 acres in around 45 mins or so. Look around at the dealers lots and see what you like.

04-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Check out the Gravely HD models. They're built much better than the homeowner models, but still about half price of the full commercial units. How much property are you mowing?

Alvarez Kelly
04-04-2016, 05:05 PM
If looking for a good used, professional grade mower, don't look past a Scag. They are built with the professional in mind. I can change all 3 blades in less than 10 minutes.

Hamish
04-04-2016, 05:26 PM
You need to visit some dealerships and discuss what your requirements are. Front mount, mid mount, deck size, power requirements, new, used,,,,,,,

Alstep
04-04-2016, 05:28 PM
I got a Husquavarna 48 inch, 20 hp about 12 years ago. Just been a maintenance problem from the beginning, the most expensive piece of junk I ever bought. After the first month, the welds on the control arms gave out, no penetration. Spent half a day taking it apart to fix it. Dealer didn't want to honor the warrantee because Huskey didn't want to reimburse him for time. Then the spindles and bearings gave out the first season. Replacements wore out too. Finally, I got some high tinsel stressproof steel and machined my own. They held up. Belts would jump off the pulleys because they weren't lined up properly, another fix. Electric clutch went out 3 times. Frame where wheel motors bolt fast, stress cracked, another welding repair. It goes on & on. Last fall, with just under 1000 hours, the hydraulics gave out. That's it. I'm done. Major $$$ to replace that. The only thing that held up was the Kohler engine. I'm not abusive on equipment, always keep stuff clean & well maintained. Zero turns are good on the level or slight grades, but if you're going down a slope, you'll loose control. Like driving on ice. I'm going back to my 40+ year old Speedex tractor and IH Lowboy. They made machinery back then, plain & simple & well built.

Blanket
04-04-2016, 05:44 PM
look for a used commercial if money is tight, visit the dealers that sell to the crews and let them know what you are looking for. I have a Landpride ZT60i that I bought a year old from a farm implement dealer that used it at home, had 100 hours on it

NC_JEFF
04-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Look in the free local papers for mowers for sale, Craigslist etc.....I use a Grasshopper 60" cut that I picked up used for $2500. The Kohler engine models are better than the ones with B&S engines.
Expect at least 12 years from a traditional riding mower but many more from a pro model. Hours on the motor are key, I mow an acre and I put @ 55 hours a year on mine, 1500 is when most start having issues and at 2000 you can expect to start wearing out hydraulic drive motors or the engine. Doi the math and don't be afraid of as good mower with nearly a thousand hours

NY_Treeguy
04-04-2016, 07:24 PM
I'll second the scag. Picked one up for just under 4K....municipal trade in with less than 100 hours on it. Exmark can't be beat either, but $$$

Plate plinker
04-04-2016, 08:12 PM
FIL has a grasshopper with air ride seat. Nice mower maybe you can get a good used unit. He also likes SCAG mowers said they are Made in the USA.

Bonz
04-04-2016, 08:14 PM
love my Scag FreedomZ ! I'm sure that it will outlive me

454 shooter
04-04-2016, 10:24 PM
I bought a Grasshopper about 12 years ago from a guy that bought it new and mowed his own lawn only. It is a 1997 model and only had 8 or 900 hrs on it. Best $3500.00 that I ever spent on a mower.
Can mow 4 1/2 acres in less than 3 hours, oh and did I mention 250 trees to go around.
The motor runs great. The blade bearings needed replaced so I got a used deck for less than the cost of the new bearings.

KYCaster
04-04-2016, 11:08 PM
Dixie Chopper has a no-frills model that cuts just as good as the expensive machines. Mine's about 12 years old, replaced the V belts once and it just started smoking quite a bit till it warms up good (probably needs rings).

Cuts faster and needs less maintenance than the Grasshopper I had previously. Cuts about an acre an hour....some of it pretty rough with a couple of 45 degree slopes and burns about 2 gal. of fuel doing it.

Just an FYI....turf tires get NO traction on wet grass, tractor tread tires tear up LOTS of sod....get the turf tires.

Call me if you want to see what the Dixie Chopper will do.

Jerry

Mk42gunner
04-04-2016, 11:49 PM
My neighbor has a Walker that he bought used at an auction with two decks, one collects the clippings, the other discharges out the side. Seems to be a decent mower for flat(ish) ground.

I think when you get into the kind of money these things cost, you might as well go with the commercial quality; that way you have a chance of it lasting. Near by parts support is important, it really reeks to have your mower down for a couple of weeks in the middle of mowing season.

Robert

crowbuster
04-05-2016, 12:06 AM
The hustlers are well liked around here.

Boz330
04-05-2016, 07:59 AM
As always, lots of good info. Not including the range, which I can mow with the bush hog, I have about 3 acres at home and work. I like to do the range with a regular mower though to try and keep the ticks to a minimum. That about doubles the acres or a little more.
Right now I owe Uncle Sugar enough to pay for the mower but not sure who will mow the grass if I'm in jail. The IRS probably thinks they need my money more than my grass needs cutting.

Bob

Boz330
04-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Dixie Chopper has a no-frills model that cuts just as good as the expensive machines. Mine's about 12 years old, replaced the V belts once and it just started smoking quite a bit till it warms up good (probably needs rings).

Cuts faster and needs less maintenance than the Grasshopper I had previously. Cuts about an acre an hour....some of it pretty rough with a couple of 45 degree slopes and burns about 2 gal. of fuel doing it.

Just an FYI....turf tires get NO traction on wet grass, tractor tread tires tear up LOTS of sod....get the turf tires.

Call me if you want to see what the Dixie Chopper will do.

Jerry

Jerry, They had one of the big Dixie Choppers at the Springfield Airport to mow the 2 runways. It seemed like they could mow a RW which was 1/2 mile long by 75yd wide as quick as I could fly a load to 10,00ft and back. But I thought that they were pretty pricey. Where are they located on Dixie Hwy? Maybe they might have a used one.

Bob

OS OK
04-05-2016, 09:38 AM
I got a Husquavarna 48 inch, 20 hp about 12 years ago. Just been a maintenance problem from the beginning, the most expensive piece of junk I ever bought. After the first month, the welds on the control arms gave out, no penetration. Spent half a day taking it apart to fix it. Dealer didn't want to honor the warrantee because Huskey didn't want to reimburse him for time. Then the spindles and bearings gave out the first season. Replacements wore out too. Finally, I got some high tinsel stressproof steel and machined my own. They held up. Belts would jump off the pulleys because they weren't lined up properly, another fix. Electric clutch went out 3 times. Frame where wheel motors bolt fast, stress cracked, another welding repair. It goes on & on. Last fall, with just under 1000 hours, the hydraulics gave out. That's it. I'm done. Major $$$ to replace that. The only thing that held up was the Kohler engine. I'm not abusive on equipment, always keep stuff clean & well maintained. Zero turns are good on the level or slight grades, but if you're going down a slope, you'll loose control. Like driving on ice. I'm going back to my 40+ year old Speedex tractor and IH Lowboy. They made machinery back then, plain & simple & well built.

I hope that you don't use the 'tanerite trick' to retire that mower…one nigit lost a leg from shrapnel and standing too close!

w5pv
04-05-2016, 10:30 AM
I have a Landpride finish mower I have been using for 10 years and it was used when I got it.Had to replace one spindle and bearing assembly after hitting a 2" hitch ball.Since then just routine maintenance greasing and blade sharpening.

historicfirearms
04-05-2016, 07:06 PM
We have a Gravely at the airport where I work. It's about 8 years old and gets used a lot. We mow about 5 acres of lawn, around all the runway and taxiway lights, and about a mile of roadfront with it. The only thing we've had to do to it in 8 years is change the oil, air filters once a year, and sharpen or replace blades when necessary. It's got a Kawasaki engine.
The only negative I can say about it is that it kicks up a bunch of dust. The airport is on dry sandy soil, so that probably has something to do with it. I try to mow with it in the morning with a little dew on the grass. Otherwise, I have to wear goggles and a dust mask.

Bonz
04-06-2016, 02:21 PM
One fact that I didn't know until I bought my Scag FreedomZ was that the faster the blades spin, the better the cut. My 7 year old Scott rider was on its last leg and decided to buy a new one. My wife talked me into spending the $6000 for the Scag because I was looking at John Deere zero turn tractors for a about $4000. This is my third season cutting my lawn with the Scag and 2 neighbors have already bought the same mower. I went to the Scag dealer to look at it and they let me try a demo mower at their site on their lawn. When I told them that I really liked it, they offered to deliver it to my house to use for 2 days for free. Even though I was already sold on this mower, I took them up on their offer and used it to cut my 0.9 acres. If there is a Scag dealer near you, ask them about a free demo offer. I also upgraded to mulching blades and they threw in another set for free.

04-06-2016, 04:39 PM
I have a Gravely 260 and a Gravely walk behind. Both are excellent. The walk behinds are commercial grade and can be had for cheaper. I'm not talking about a push mower, but the kind that you ride on a sulky with.

Beau Cassidy
04-07-2016, 10:08 AM
I got a Lexmark 60 inch rear discharge mower with Fuel injected motor last year. Did 30 month no intrest. Figured it was better to use their money than mine! I thought about a used mower but figured it was a **** shoot
I went new with warranty. The rear discharge is great because it gets rid of the side shute.

KYCaster
04-07-2016, 10:55 PM
Jerry, They had one of the big Dixie Choppers at the Springfield Airport to mow the 2 runways. It seemed like they could mow a RW which was 1/2 mile long by 75yd wide as quick as I could fly a load to 10,00ft and back. But I thought that they were pretty pricey. Where are they located on Dixie Hwy? Maybe they might have a used one.

Bob

Dealer finder shows five dealers around E-town. Mine came from Taul Equipment on Leitchfield Road in Cecilia.

I'd have to look to make sure, but I think it's 54 in. cut, 18 HP Kohler 2 cylinder. It cuts grass at, like, 20 MPH! Beats anything else I ever had.

Jerry

Clay M
04-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Looking at possibly buying a zero turn, as my old mower is dead.
The local hardware guy sells Grasshoppers and Hustlers.
Since I don't need a commercial grade mower I am looking at the Hustler.

Any opinions on these mowers?

https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/raptor-flip-up

Boz330
04-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Dealer finder shows five dealers around E-town. Mine came from Taul Equipment on Leitchfield Road in Cecilia.

I'd have to look to make sure, but I think it's 54 in. cut, 18 HP Kohler 2 cylinder. It cuts grass at, like, 20 MPH! Beats anything else I ever had.

Jerry

I just bought a Mahindra from Taul last fall, never noticed they had Dixie Choppers but then I didn't need one then.

Bob

Smoke4320
04-08-2016, 02:23 PM
I sure like the looks for that Hustler Flip up ..
Just wonder on its durability ?

Clay M
04-08-2016, 02:55 PM
I sure like the looks for that Hustler Flip up ..
Just wonder on its durability ?

The local guy says he has sold Hustlers for ten years and had good luck with them. He also services everything he sells unlike Home Depot or Lowes.

I also like the flip up deck.

dbarry1
04-08-2016, 08:03 PM
I used a 1970 Jacobson for 15 years that my dad rebuilt. Very nice mower but it took a couple hours to mow. Last year they had 48 mos free financing on Husqvarna zero turn. Couldn't pass it up. Great money spent right there. Cuts the grass in about 1/4 the time. I've only owned it for a year, but love it.

pmer
04-09-2016, 09:06 AM
I had a Great Diane 52'' stand on zero turn mower and it was really nice too. Our lawn increased in size and it got tiring to stand on it for over 2 hours a shot. I now have a front mounted Toro diesel that steers with the back tires and drives the front tires with a plain hydro transaxle. For back up I have an old cub that can pull a 5 foot Swisher trail mower. Together it cuts about 80''

I also had a patched together reel mower that cut 11 feet. It had 5 ground driven reels; it was like trying heard cats to keep them cutting as a group. (ground drives and wet grass ETC) But what a nice cut those reels can make.

For comfort though the big Toro front mount is nice. It's a old 325 with a 5 blade, 88'' deck, power steering and a roof. I paid $2200 for it at a auction and had fix the glow plug circuit. No idea what a new replacement would cost but I guess some where in the too spendy for me range, past 20K.

But you can cut a lot of grass with a nice rider that can pull a trail mower. My first trail mower was a home made setup. I used a 20'' push mower, took off the push handle and installed a L shaped draw bar and hooked it up to the rider so it would track off to the side.