PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 30-30 Leverevolutin Ammo in older carbines?

MT_DD_FAN
04-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Just wondering what kind of experiences folks have gotten firing Hornady 30-30 Leverevolution ammo out of older carbines? My Marlin XLR with the 24" barrel loves the stuff but I've not shot it in my 1970s-vintage Win M94 carbine, yet.

clum553946
04-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Should be fine, it's still considered a modern gun. Just make sure it's in good shooting condition.

MT_DD_FAN
04-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Should be fine, it's still considered a modern gun. Just make sure it's in good shooting condition.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really worried about the load pressures as much as the load 'characteristics' - if there is such a thing. I remember reading something somewhere that Hornady developed those Leverevolution loads around the twist rates/Ballard rifling/barrel lengths used by Marlin in their XLR models. But I can't find that info again to verify. Thus, the main reason for my question, hoping to hear back from others on their experiences shooting the Hornady Leverevolution ammo in their older carbines.

clum553946
04-05-2016, 02:30 AM
I misunderstood the question. According to Chuck Hawk's website in an article written by Randy Wakeman, the XLR & Winchester 94 share the same twist rate at 12:1. The regular Marlin 336's had tighter twist at 10:1. The only difference I guess would be barrel length.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/marlin336XLR.htm
This is an interesting read that has some info on your question. I haven't shot the Hornady ammo in my Winchester 94, I have used the powder for reloads & they shoot very well.

MT_DD_FAN
04-05-2016, 12:28 PM
I misunderstood the question. According to Chuck Hawk's website in an article written by Randy Wakeman, the XLR & Winchester 94 share the same twist rate at 12:1. The regular Marlin 336's had tighter twist at 10:1. The only difference I guess would be barrel length.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/marlin336XLR.htm
This is an interesting read that has some info on your question. I haven't shot the Hornady ammo in my Winchester 94, I have used the powder for reloads & they shoot very well.
No problem, I didn't phrase the question as good as I could have. BTW, what bullet(s) did you use with the Leverevolution powder in your M94? Was it the Hornady Flex-tips?

clum553946
04-05-2016, 02:38 PM
No, they were older Remington 150 gr. CoreLokt's I had from a long time ago

MT_DD_FAN
04-05-2016, 04:13 PM
OK, thanks for the info.

northmn
04-05-2016, 06:06 PM
I shoot the LE's almost exclusively in my 1950 or so vintage Marlin with good success, although it is a 35 Remington. I still think of a 1970's era firsarm as fairly new.

DP

MT_DD_FAN
04-05-2016, 10:38 PM
I shoot the LE's almost exclusively in my 1950 or so vintage Marlin with good success, although it is a 35 Remington. I still think of a 1970's era firsarm as fairly new.
DP
DP- Thanks for the reply - that's interesting! I sold a 60s-vintage Marlin 35 Rem to a friend last year, and he had me install a scope and sight-in for him while he was on a biz trip. He had me buy some Hornady LE ammo for that old Marlin, and I was surprised at how well those flex-tips shot (<1.5"groups@100)! So, I'm hoping that the 30-30 LEs do as well in my M94.

OverMax
04-05-2016, 11:59 PM
1894 model winchesters 30-WCF. There old nickel steel barrels ware less with the use of cast lead and reduced powder charges. Anything engraved 94 without a nickel steel barrel can shoot whatever. Jacketed or cast without the worry of barrel ware.

I've never shot Leverevolutin Ammo. In fact I haven't bought center fire ammo in many years. Due to my being too cheap!!

northmn
04-06-2016, 11:04 AM
One reason I look at years do not pertain so much to Winchesters exept for that period after 1964 to when ever they started to make a proper lifter again, in the 70's I think. Marlin went from Ballard to microgroove in the 50's. Had a MG 45-70 and did not like it as I used Lee molds which did not throw large enough diameter bullets for MG. Own 4 Marlins and none a MG. Two old ones with Ballard, a 32-20 and a 38-55 CB. Note that MG has not taken the centerfire rifle makers by storm. Admit I have not shot LE's in my 30-30 carbine. Use it up close and could get regular ammo for $14.00 a box last year. Hardly worth reloading.
Were I to get another 24" barrel 30-30 I would not hesitate to scope it and use LE's. Would really be all the rifle I would need as I rarely shoot much over 150 yards anymore. Got too many rifles to buy one however unless the LGS gets one in that insists I buy it.

DEP

MT_DD_FAN
04-06-2016, 11:52 AM
1894 model winchesters 30-WCF. There old nickel steel barrels ware less with the use of cast lead and reduced powder charges. Anything engraved 94 without a nickel steel barrel can shoot whatever. Jacketed or cast without the worry of barrel ware.

I've never shot Leverevolutin Ammo. In fact I haven't bought center fire ammo in many years. Due to my being too cheap!!

OM - thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about barrel wear in the carbine since I doubt I shot it 20x per year. In my Marlin XLR, I use it for lever action rifle silhouette and shoot maybe 500 rounds per year thru it. But those are all cast bullets w/GCs, so even there, I doubt I'll live long enough to wear out the barrel...LOL

MT_DD_FAN
04-06-2016, 11:58 AM
One reason I look at years do not pertain so much to Winchesters exept for that period after 1964 to when ever they started to make a proper lifter again, in the 70's I think. Marlin went from Ballard to microgroove in the 50's. Had a MG 45-70 and did not like it as I used Lee molds which did not throw large enough diameter bullets for MG. Own 4 Marlins and none a MG. Two old ones with Ballard, a 32-20 and a 38-55 CB. Note that MG has not taken the centerfire rifle makers by storm. Admit I have not shot LE's in my 30-30 carbine. Use it up close and could get regular ammo for $14.00 a box last year. Hardly worth reloading.
Were I to get another 24" barrel 30-30 I would not hesitate to scope it and use LE's. Would really be all the rifle I would need as I rarely shoot much over 150 yards anymore. Got too many rifles to buy one however unless the LGS gets one in that insists I buy it.
DEP

DEP- My main interest in trying the LEs in my M94 is to check on accuracy and velocity increases. Since it's shot with a receiver sight and not scoped, I'm not going for any significant increase in distance. I wasn't too surprised by how well the Marlin XLR did with the LEs but then I had read several years ago that those results were to be expected since Hornady had developed their 30-30 LE load for the XLRs. But then I shot the LEs in that old Marlin 35 Rem and was impressed by both the accuracy and velocity in that rifle. So, once I get some more LE 30-30 ammo, I'm going to test it in my 70s-vintage M94.