PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here, thanks for the space

atlas366
04-04-2016, 09:25 AM
I just acquired a gentleman's entire casting/reloading set-up. The accretion of a lifetime. He's leaving the country, so it was a good deal. I have some limited experience with single-stage reloading, but casting is all new. A friend from subguns.com recommended Cast Boolits as the best place to learn, buy, sell and trade. There looks to be a lot of knowledge here. I'll try to keep my ears open. If you all have any comments on the unwritten etiquette on these boards I'd appreciate it. Every place is different. Thank you.

Strtspdlx
04-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Welcome. Being a newcomer myself the only thing I can recommend is start reading. Search things you may have questions about and read until your eyes and ears bleed. Take a nap and read everything again. There a ton of knowledge and experience on this site. Don't be afraid to ask a question. Just make sure you research as much as you can and read. I read the boards for 5 months before I joined. And I'm still reading everyday.

FatherAbraham
04-04-2016, 10:55 AM
You have come to the right place, I am new to this forum myself but been reloading for about 22yrs. The amount of knowledge here is unbelievable. Soak it up, ask ? someone will come up with an answer. I learn something new here everyday.
Welcome to you..

atlas366
04-04-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm beginning to get that impression, getting into the shooting sports has been a lifelong evolution, but this niche is more like my experience in learning how to brew beer. A combination of art and science. Intense, several ways to do things right and many, many ways to screw up.

lightman
04-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Welcome Aboard! Congrats on the newly aqquired gear. Read through the stickies, ask a few questions and start melting lead. Tell us about your gear. We like pictures. Ignore the occasional snippy remark, everyone means well.

jeepyj
04-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Welcome aboard, There are lots of good things that can be learned along the journey here. It is a great hobby. After a year be sure to let us know how much money you saved. I know lots of us have saved so much we cant afford to not buy something else related to casting ya know like new mould or... Enjoy your new membership!
Jeepyj

runfiverun
04-04-2016, 02:36 PM
hey I saved enough to buy,,,,,,, ummm,????? more stuff.
but I got more stuff.
the kids are probably gonna hate me some day.

Cherokee
04-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Welcome. Read and read, then ask if you don't understand or are unsure. We all want to return the help that has been given us.

Mk42gunner
04-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Welcome aboard.

A combination of art and science. Intense, several ways to do things right and many, many ways to screw up.

Two sentences that pretty much sum up the entire casting process.

Robert

habba8
04-04-2016, 03:42 PM
I'm also new to posting. Not new to the vast wealth of info available to reloaders like myself. I need to become more active so I can learn and sell some reloading stuff thats collecting dust. Like I said fantastic place to learn stuff.
Thanks to all.

Walter Laich
04-05-2016, 05:46 PM
don't be afraid to try out casting before you've read all 3,451,937 sticky posts.

nothing like it to get you in the mood to cast even more. And rejects? back in the pot and no one will ever know.

also you can come up with questions as to your efforts quicker than trying to learn everything in one fell swoop.

Good to have everyone on board

GhostHawk
04-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Knowledge buffet, all you can eat, low cost. Just have to put up with some of us crusty older fellows.

Sit back, start with the sticky's.

You are in good company.

4719dave
04-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Welcome aboard .................. Be safe and don't be afraid to ask because these guys are great on this site ...

atlas366
04-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Just have to put up with some of us crusty older fellows.

That is no problem, I am neither young nor old anymore. But I find that I fit in just fine with either group, as long as I can be myself.
I'm becoming crusty too, especially with the way the world is now.

WHITETAIL
04-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forum!
And do not be afraid to ask anything here.
And don't think you are the only one to make
a mistake, we all have at some point.:redneck:

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-06-2016, 03:42 PM
Welcome aboard Atlas.
One hint I'll offer...
try to start casting/reloading for a low pressure pistol round, like 38spl or 45Colt or 45acp, (or a downloaded 357M opr 44M) you are less likely to have problems, as those are pretty forgiving calibers for cast boolits.
Good luck,
Jon

gwpercle
04-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Don't sell any casting or reloading stuff. It ain't eating hay. Having a mould is a great excuse to buy a gun. I have reloading dies and moulds for guns I've never even owned but you never know what's going to turn up. Besides you sell it, then you need it later and a new one then costs four or five times what you got for the one you sold.....I've been down that road. Nothing goes down in price . If something is paid for just hang on to it....you will find a use for it.
Seller's Remorse happens a lot. I've sold things that I could kick myself for letting go...big time mistakes , every one . I would definitely keep every mould , they have skyrocketed in price and many are no longer made. I told wife when I pass , put all my moulds in the box with me...I'm taking them with me !
Welcome from Louisiana , enjoy the addiction .
Gary

wmitty
04-06-2016, 06:40 PM
atlas366:

Welcome and join the party! Let us know what you are interested in loading/casting for; it seems to me there's a group of very knowledgeable shooters for about any topic concerning reloading and shooting cast or swaged boolits. (not necessarily all the same men)

jimb16
04-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Just so you understand, you WILL have some problems along the way, We ALL did. ASK QUESTIONS! For any problem you have you will probably get 40 different answers from 10 different people! Don't worry about it. Try everything they suggest. Sooner or later, you will find out what works for you. Everybody has different ideas. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong. Sometimes there are several answers and sometimes there is none! That's what makes this fun. After 45 years of casting my own, I'm still learning. Enjoy! And watch out for the tinsel fairy! She shows up at the most unexpected times!

atlas366
04-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging words. I was planning on starting with .38 special and figuring things out from there. It is good to have this reinforced. I've also just uncovered a box of very neatly packed, lubed and sized .357 semi-wadcutters. There is so much stuff here. I don't even recognize some of it.

Hickok
04-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Hello and welcome. Great folks here, as you will soon learn!

HangFireW8
04-12-2016, 12:54 AM
Welcome aboard!

Here's a bit of advice. All the advice you receive here will be correct. Exactly which combination of mold, gun & load it's correct for, well, that's another matter.