PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 35 200 FN sprue plate problems

drw
04-03-2016, 07:00 AM
My 35 RCBS mold sprue plate keeps loosening. I read that there is supposed to be a
spring washer and washer under the sprue plate bolt. My mold does not have any springs or washers. My product literature does not show any springs under the sprue plate bolt.

Does this mold come with a spring washer under the bolt??

Thanks

avogunner
04-03-2016, 07:21 AM
Though I don't own any RCBS molds, I have had that problem on a few of my Lyman molds. I file a flat on the sprue plate screw where the allen screw tightens to it. That has stopped the sprue plate from loosening completely.

44man
04-03-2016, 07:52 AM
I don't know the name of the washer so I call them wave washers. They are bent, spring steel things that put a little pressure on the plate bolt and plate. Not sure they are needed but I buy them at NAPA, they have all sizes.
Best thing is to drill and tap the side of the block and put a set screw to the bolt, drop in a hunk of heavy copper wire before the set screw.

catskinner
04-03-2016, 08:05 AM
RCBS molds have hole drilled and tapped for a set screw to lock the sprue plate bolt.

Tatume
04-03-2016, 08:14 AM
RCBS molds have hole drilled and tapped for a set screw to lock the sprue plate bolt.

There should also be a lead shot in the hole. The set screw presses the lead onto the pivot screw to lock.

Even when used correctly, it does not work very well. I just keep an Allen wrench on my work bench and re-set tension as needed.