PDA

View Full Version : .30-40 Krag Brass

Shiloh
04-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Not a casting question per se. Does anyone know if .30-40 brass is discontinued?? Midway said it was discontinued by them, but didn't know if it was by Remington and Winchester.

Shiloh

Der Gebirgsjager
04-02-2016, 11:28 AM
To the best of my knowledge it is "seasonal production". Originally that meant that they didn't make it all the time, but that and other less popular cases were to be made just one run per year. Now it seems that in some instances that is once every-other year, but I don't know if that applies to the .30-40. I notice that there's always someone trying to buy some on the Forum, but honestly I've never had any trouble buying it in lots of 100 if I shop around the big distributors.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2016, 11:37 AM
snip...
To the best of my knowledge it is "seasonal production". .
That's my understanding as well. It is something I started noticing during the rise of metals/commodity prices during 2008 and 2009. and the increased demand because of Obama ...Some brass case prices went up a little, others skyrocketed. I soon learned that some calibers were seasonal produced (probably because of the demand of common calibers), and the longer it had been since the "run", the higher the prices on gunbroker. FYI, I've seen "sold" prices on gunbroker auctions for new Rem 30-40 brass, higher than $2 per rd.

As to Midway...maybe if they are unable to get a product for 12 months or so, they choose to call it discontinued, as opposed to backordered.

TenTea
04-02-2016, 11:39 AM
We've been currently discussing...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?303686-Brass-At-Midway-QUESTION

Der Gebirgsjager
04-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Wow! I looked at the link supplied by TenTea and it appears that there's a big problem. In the past I was able to count on Black Hills Shooter's Supply for most brass needs, sometimes Graf, sometimes Natchez, etc. I bet Starline will eventually come through for us.

mold maker
04-02-2016, 12:40 PM
And I though my habit of laying in, at least, a K of X1 brass for each new caliber was foolhardy. Turns out my hoarding of range brass and lead along with wheel weights is not to be laughed at.
I sure feel sorry for the new guys.

Shiloh
04-02-2016, 03:38 PM
And I though my habit of laying in, at least, a K of X1 brass for each new caliber was foolhardy. Turns out my hoarding of range brass and lead along with wheel weights is not to be laughed at.
I sure feel sorry for the new guys.

I'm good.
I'll lay in other 100 pieces and that should last me till my eyesight is no more.

SHiloh

pill bug
04-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Makes me fondly remember when mixed headstamp brass for less common calibers went for bargain basement prices on E-bay. Of course, E-bay has since banned components. But for me, a few buys done on a whim because of the dime or less per a round cost have pretty much saved me with 7mm, 8mm Mauser and 35 Remington. What a lucky break.

GRUMPA
04-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Many have said that just taking a 303 British case and in a single stroke turn them into 30-40 Krag.

Well I just did that for ****z and grins and although real easy to do the case length is 2.230 and the spec on 30-40 brass is 2.314-.020.

So it can be done but with a case that's .065-.070 under spec length.

Head diameter for the Krag is .545-.010 and the head diameter on the 303 I just did is .532 which is just a tad under spec.

gnoahhh
04-02-2016, 07:48 PM
With as many people shooting .30-40's (and not just in Krags, either) I just cannot imagine somebody picking up the slack.

Firebird
04-03-2016, 01:49 AM
Well, Jamison is making 405 & 35 Winchester, which is the same basic case in different calibers and lengths. Problem might be cost, currently 35 Winchester is running 1.60 a case. But at least they already have most of the tooling setup needed for production. Also Hornady and Prvi Partizan are making 303 British, again they have most of the tooling needed for 30-40 Krag and their brass is a lot cheaper.
25-20 is another case that has been dropped by all of the makers, hopefully Starline will save us there as they already make 32-20, again they have most of the tooling needed.

Shiloh
04-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Bell Extrusion may make it, but it'll cost. Do you want it or don'tya??

Shiloh