PDA

View Full Version : Chamber reamer specs .25-20

beagle
10-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Anyone know where I can locate the chamber reamer dimensions for the .25-20 or does anyone have the SAAMI spec on the .25-20 and could scan and e-mail the dimensions./beagle

StarMetal
10-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Beagle

Try this: http://www.leverguns.com/dimensions/images/2520wcf.jpg

Joe

35remington
10-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Beagle, what are you up to? Gonna have a custom rifle made?

I'm curious, as anytime anyone says ".25-20" it gets my attention. Figuring out a better way to skin the cat?

felix
10-19-2005, 11:45 PM
I saw the spec and am really wondering if the barrels are really made with those shallow grooves. If so, that would explain some of the accuracy problems after a few lube laden boolits. ... felix

holycross
10-20-2005, 06:47 AM
Clymer reamers websie has a chamber reamer data base of specs.

http://www.clymertool.com/cgi-bin/reamer.cgi?

They list 3 25-20 specs. HTH.

Mark Holycross

beagle
10-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the sources guys. That's what I was needing.

I knew it was somewhere but couldn't find it./beagle

beagle
10-20-2005, 10:26 AM
No, I'm not making a custom rifle. I've done about 1/2 dozen now and don't want to get into that again.

I picked up a cadet martini action a couple of years ago and it sat over my bench with a used Bob Snapp .222 barrel on it for years. I never had the desire to do anything with it so I gave the action to my machinist shooting partner as he wanted to make a light cast rifle of some kind.

He's decided to make a .25-20. I've had good luck with my Marlin M1894 with a Douglas 1-12 twist barrel on it so that's the way he'll go.

He's decided to chamber it on the lathe with a boring bar instead of a chamber reamer and needed pretty precise dimensions.

Right now, he's turning a 1" "stub" and boring it for .258" and will do a dry run on threading and chambering. If this works out, he'll get a Douglas and chamber it.

Now, a fly that I see in the ointment is the difference in rim thickness between RP and WW cases. I have a lot of WW that chambers fairly hard in my Marlin as opposed to even chambering with R-P cases. Think I'll recommend RP brass as it seems to be more readily available.

Any comments on the brass rim thicknes would be appreciated./beagle

Beagle, what are you up to? Gonna have a custom rifle made?

I'm curious, as anytime anyone says ".25-20" it gets my attention. Figuring out a better way to skin the cat?