PDA

View Full Version : TDS Internet subscribers - Having trouble accessing CastBoolits?

David2011
03-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Of course, if you are, you might not be reading this. I'm connecting through a different provider at the moment. Last Sunday afternoon this website quit responding while I was posting the "Another Kaboom" opening post. Since neither my computer nor my iPad could access it I assumed there was a service glitch because it seemed to be the only site I visit regularly that wouldn't work. Last night I did some troubleshooting (ping, tracert) and found that after the signal hit TDS it stopped responding. I don't expect much response but was hoping someone might have seen this. I've contacted them but not holding my breath for a speedy resolution.

David

Stonecrusher
03-29-2016, 12:26 PM
I have TDS phone and DSL and am connected. Never had a problem with getting on any particular website. The DSL modems they give out are pure garbage. Sometimes they will work fine for months, other times they will disconnect every couple of minutes for a couple of days. Often they will lock up and need to be rebooted. My neighbor has the same problem as well as a lot other people I have spoken with.

David2011
04-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the response. Funny thing is, I can connect using my work laptop and corporate VPN through the TDS system. I can connect with my home laptop using a Verizon hot spot. We have 2 home computers; mine is Windows and SWMBO's is a Mac desktop. We each have an iPad and an iPhone. None of them will connect through straight TDS service. As soon as TDS's corporate servers are bypassed I can access CastBoolits.

David

Geezer in NH
04-01-2016, 08:21 PM
What is TDS???

jandbj
04-01-2016, 08:32 PM
What is TDS???

In NH, TDS is the 4th rate telephone company servicing Wilton, Lyndeborough & Hollis.

David2011
04-01-2016, 08:36 PM
LoL!

David

Geezer in NH
04-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Again who is TDS answers do not help never heard of them .
]
How about an actual name and not the acronym or initials is that to hard to ask?

gsdelong
04-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Try using 8.8.8.8 as your primary dns server instead of the one assigned by their router.

dragon813gt
04-01-2016, 09:29 PM
]
How about an actual name and not the acronym or initials is that to hard to ask?

TDS is their name. Takes less than a second to type "TDS internet" or "TDS telecom" into Google to get all the information you want.

David2011
04-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Try using 8.8.8.8 as your primary dns server instead of the one assigned by their router.

The problem is that their DNS server at their internet center seems to be the issue. They weren't passing through. When I tracert to gunloads.com the tracert stops at network.tds.net. If I use my company's VPN I can bypass their routing altogether and get to CastBoolits. I've used Google's DNS many times in the past to bypass DNS issues within a network but it gets harder when crossing 2 DNS servers.

Mysteriously, though, it started working again last night. While I was unable to get to CB normally I e-mailed the CB owner and the webmaster to see if my IP might be blocked. Haven't heard back form them yet so guessing that the CB web server was not part of the problem. Like many problems, the true cause may never be known. I constantly have local telephone companies lose connectivity with my sites and after intrusive testing connectivity is restored. They claim they didn't do anything to restore the circuits every time.

I'm back on CB without doing anything different at my end. That's all that really matters. Thanks for the input!

David

David2011
04-03-2016, 03:03 PM
]

Sorry; the question was intended for TDS subscribers and I figured they would recognize the company name.

I thought jandbj answered the question: "In NH, TDS is the 4th rate telephone company servicing Wilton, Lyndeborough & Hollis."

They're the company that bought Baja Broadband in my area. They provide TV cable, internet and telephone services. No idea what TDS stands for. TDS is their name, kind of like RCBS. No idea what RCBS stands for either but I buy their products. I just know I pay $230/month for marginal services. Their competition is even worse, though.

David

dragon813gt
04-03-2016, 06:20 PM
RCBS = Rock Chucker Bullet Swage

David2011
04-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Of course! [smilie=b:

Off topic, was bullet swaging where RCBS started?

David