PDA

View Full Version : I just heard full auto gunfire outside the house. But......

frkelly74
03-28-2016, 12:30 PM
There is a company a few miles from here that builds and does repairs on full auto firearms and they quite often test fire on Monday and Tuesday mornings. First single rounds and then a few 2 or 3 shot bursts and then dump the rest of the mag. I hear it and go on about my business It is a faint sound in the background. Today it sounded right next door. So what did I do? I went out to look for the cause of all that noise. It stopped when I went out the door. I went back in and it started up again. So I went looking again. I walked around the corner of the house and toward the back fence and there was the noise, behind me. So I turned around and looked up and there on top of the chimney was a bird, a woodpecker bird. It had decided the the metal cap on the chimney didn't have enough holes in it and was trying to make more. From inside the house it was remarkably similar to the sound of someone lettin' a few rounds fly. I told it to knock it off and it flew away.

nagantguy
03-28-2016, 12:33 PM
The exact thing happen at my parents house, big pilated wood pecker on the side of the chimney going full speed on the metal facia to knock out the box elder bugs, sounded just like full auto!

Pine Baron
03-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Many moons ago, before 911 and cell phones, a flicker did the same thing to the tin roof on my shed. Made the hair on my neck standup, and out the back door I went, with my hands filled with iron. LOL

Artful
03-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Sounds are funny - I was shooting a suppressed firearm and up the hill comes a guy to see who's running the nail gun out in the boonies.

frkelly74
03-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Probably the building inspector.

Geezer in NH
03-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Probably the building inspector.

:goodpost::bigsmyl2:

DLCTEX
03-28-2016, 04:23 PM
One evening last week we heard two loud explosions near by. We have three gas plants within a mile so I went to investigate. My neighbor and his son were having fun with tannerite.

Thumbcocker
03-28-2016, 08:56 PM
High capacity assault wood pecker with no legitimate sporting purpose.

Smoke4320
03-28-2016, 09:17 PM
High capacity assault wood pecker with no legitimate sporting purpose.

Not so sure on that one
shooting the peckerwood might just be fun

Outer Rondacker
03-28-2016, 09:21 PM
Weird how they will peck on steel. I had one going to town on my ladder racks on the truck one morning. It was the big red headed one about a foot tall.

davidheart
03-28-2016, 09:40 PM
You should call the ATF. Definitely sure that bird just committed a class 1 felony! :D :D

Hardcast416taylor
03-28-2016, 09:44 PM
There are 2 bachelor brothers that have a 20 acre plot about 1/2 mile due West of me. They belong to a Civil War re-enactment group. They also have a 3/4 sized Napolean cannon. Talk about getting your attention when they set it off while you`re trying to eat supper!Robert

Thumbcocker
03-28-2016, 09:49 PM
is it legal to fire a wood pecker without a shoulder stock?

Outer Rondacker
03-28-2016, 09:53 PM
Naa must be like crow hunting in NY. You cant kill one on Thursday. LOL Hunting on Fri., Sat., Sun. & Mon. ONLY;
Fed Migratory Bird Stamp NOT Required; Rifles and electronically amplified bird calls or sounds permitted

Frank46
03-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Oil company hired a seismic company to do blasting which started week before last. I have 4 sets of sensors on my property. When I first heard it figured it was someone with a shotgun. Each day got closer to the house but they were doing the shots in the cane fields across the road. Don't know what they used for explosives as some of them were pretty loud. Frank

rockshooter
03-29-2016, 01:43 AM
woodpeckers will peck on metal to mark their territory to all the other ones listening- it can be really loud in the house by the fireplace!
Loren

mold maker
03-29-2016, 11:28 AM
they hammered on my gutter till I finally took it down. Just on one side of the house without doors.

runfiverun
03-29-2016, 01:50 PM
wood pecker tastes like steak when roasted over an open fire.

OS OK
03-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Years ago, in Norco California I was in a small open shopping mall kneeling down and trimming out the garden lights around a little restaurant I had just wired. Minding my own business and with my mind somewhere else…all of the sudden…someone 'racks' an 870 within a few feet of my rear! Spine tingles and body shudders racked my quivering frame until I managed to peek behind me from under my armpit to see a Police Officer 1/2 hidden behind a large column in the outdoor mall, 15 feet away!
I'm not sure whether I felt 'relief' or whether I wanted to 'relieve' myself as he motioned to me to 'get the heck out of there' !
The little Bank located a couple doors down the mall was being robbed. As I write this I still hear that 870's distinct sound and still get chills in remembering the incident.
It's funny now but if it would have happened recently with all this Muslim business…I would prolly just keeled over with a heart attack!

OS OK

Thumbcocker
03-29-2016, 09:15 PM
A LEO I knew years ago always said "everybody speaks shotgun".

allen16323
03-29-2016, 09:17 PM
Years ago, in Norco California I was in a small open shopping mall kneeling down and trimming out the garden lights around a little restaurant I had just wired. Minding my own business and with my mind somewhere else…all of the sudden…someone 'racks' an 870 within a few feet of my rear! Spine tingles and body shudders racked my quivering frame until I managed to peek behind me from under my armpit to see a Police Officer 1/2 hidden behind a large column in the outdoor mall, 15 feet away!
I'm not sure whether I felt 'relief' or whether I wanted to 'relieve' myself as he motioned to me to 'get the heck out of there' !
The little Bank located a couple doors down the mall was being robbed. As I write this I still hear that 870's distinct sound and still get chills in remembering the incident.
It's funny now but if it would have happened recently with all this Muslim business…I would prolly just keeled over with a heart attack!

OS OK
Got to look down the business end of one of those 870 police models!!! I was working in a gun shop during college. Was performing a background check on a guy buying a handgun, was on hold with the PA instant check system(PICS) for like 45-50 minutes, elevator music hell, heard the back door open loudly and the front door buzzer go. In full SWAT attire I see the business end of an 870 and a SWAT member behind it, I had a firm grasp on the seat cushion and both hands in the air. The jack wagon I was doing the check on had felony warrants out of Chicago for his arrest.

OS OK
03-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Looks like we have 'shared the same shivers'…how long did it take you to pry that seat cushion out of your sphincter?

allen16323
03-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Looks like we have 'shared the same shivers'…how long did it take you to pry that seat cushion out of your sphincter?

I think I still have a small piece that is embedded in my colon, the rest took a week or so to pass. The worst part is I was strong side quartering toward him with a 1911a1 oc, cocked and locked.

Minerat
03-29-2016, 10:26 PM
Not so sure on that one
shooting the peckerwood might just be fun

There is something called the migratory bird act that covers flickers and magpies. Big fine if caught offing one of the pests best to just 3S them.

mold maker
03-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Why would you take pleasure in killing a protected bird, that's only offence is a startling noise?
I find them rather comical, and interesting.

frkelly74
03-30-2016, 01:44 PM
It is still flying around and doing whatever woodpeckers do, plus hammering on my metal chimney cap at its whim.

Hardcast416taylor
03-30-2016, 03:08 PM
I can tell you what a sawed off 12 gauge double barrel scatter gun looks like from the front end of it, `like 2 oil barrels welded together`! This was in a bar and the `gun show` was meant for some rowdy guys behind me.

The sound of either an 870 or a Winnie Model 12 being racked in the darkness of a room in the middle of the night is often called `a Montana burglar alarm`!Robert

farmerjim
03-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Baked, it tastes like bald eagle.

Geezer in NH
04-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Baked, it tastes like bald eagle.
Closer to spotted owl and has less edible meat on it. Not fishy like Loon.