PDA

View Full Version : using shell holders in your kinetic bullet puller

Andy
03-27-2016, 11:56 PM
someone just showed me how shell holders fit right in a kinetic bullet puller and easily replace the annoying rubber collet thing it comes with

maybe everyone but me already knows this, but wanted to pass it on for those who don't, makes life a lot simpler when pulling more than a bullet or two, I'll bet it works out to twice as fast overall, even when the rubber thing doesn't come loose.

Czech_too
03-28-2016, 07:09 AM
I had read about it somewhere and it does work. After the collet 'spring' gave out on mine, I tried it and...

quack1
03-28-2016, 07:52 AM
Be careful which brand of shell holder you use. I've never had any problem with RCBS or Lyman, but had a Lee that sheared off the whole the ledge that holds the rim of the cartridge on the first whack. From the looks of the break, lee shell holders appear to be made from a casting.

Dusty Bannister
03-28-2016, 09:39 AM
When I tried the shell holder several years ago, I ended up deforming the rim of the case. Do not recall the maker of the shell holder but decided the collet held the entire case head and I should be more careful making up rounds in the future. In other words, it is quicker to make mistakes than to correct them. Dusty

trapper9260
03-28-2016, 09:44 AM
I have read somewhere that some went with the shell holder and had problems with the primer going off because it was moven around in the holder.I use the collect and the oil ring was getting weak I just went to the farm fleet store and got anther one.Someone that had problems might beable to give more on it. But for me I would not use it with a shell holder for safety reasons.But that is me.

GhostHawk
03-28-2016, 10:09 AM
No problem with lee shell holders in my bullet puller. IMO they should sell that way with an assortment of standard shell holders.

dudel
03-28-2016, 10:26 AM
It's OK to use the shell holders in a pinch; but the collets do a better job of holding the round. A full 360 grip on the base. The shell holders cover less of the base and can deform the rim depending on how vigorous you get with your puller.

scattershot
03-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Lot,easier than wrestling with that goofy collet that comes with the puller.

mdi
03-28-2016, 12:42 PM
If the shell holder is overly large, too big for the particular case, I can see damage to the case rim, but I've been using a mix of shell holders in my "hammer puller" since I got it several years ago. I also read of primers going off when a shell holder is used, rather than those impossible to use aluminum collets, but haven't read any factual accounts, yet...

Outpost75
03-28-2016, 02:22 PM
I have had primers go off several when there was a loose primer anvil, or loose primer pocket when using the standard PITA aluminum thingamabob too, but when unconfined all that usually happens is a loud POP! and you might break the bullet puller. Unless you have a "high and proud" or loose primer pocket, the risk is minimal. Still, GOOD reason to wear safety glasses and gloves when using an inertia puller anyway, unless you are very careful and tap gently, check, retighten, rather than trying to drive spikes with one WHACK!

This warning appeared on another forum:
https://www.shootersforum.com/warning-notices-recalls/50347-inertial-bullet-puller-warning.html

I use shell holders, but carefully...

BCB
03-29-2016, 07:09 AM
A bit off the topic, but do they make different size collets for these pullers. And if so, where can they be purchased?...

Some cases with a bigger diameter at the base can be a flipper to get the case in place without the o-ring coming out of place...

Thanks...BCB

458mag
03-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Aint that the truth!!!!

trapper9260
03-29-2016, 09:26 AM
I have had primers go off several when there was a loose primer anvil, or loose primer pocket when using the standard PITA aluminum thingamabob too, but when unconfined all that usually happens is a loud POP! and you might break the bullet puller. Unless you have a "high and proud" or loose primer pocket, the risk is minimal. Still, GOOD reason to wear safety glasses and gloves when using an inertia puller anyway, unless you are very careful and tap gently, check, retighten, rather than trying to drive spikes with one WHACK!

This warning appeared on another forum:
https://www.shootersforum.com/warning-notices-recalls/50347-inertial-bullet-puller-warning.html

I use shell holders, but carefully...

I had forgot where I have read about it also, until you came up with it here .Thank you.

alamogunr
03-29-2016, 09:48 AM
I've been using nothing but shell holders for the last several years. I was not aware of possible problems until this thread. The only shell holders I use in the old Midway kinetic bullet puller are Lee. I've had to pull some well secured bullets, sometimes three hard whacks. I've never noticed any rim damage but I will be more observant next time.

mdi
03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
I guess all the ammo I've pulled with my "hammer tool" have had the primers properly seated...[smilie=1: :-P

1bluehorse
03-29-2016, 12:21 PM
A bit off the topic, but do they make different size collets for these pullers. And if so, where can they be purchased?...

Some cases with a bigger diameter at the base can be a flipper to get the case in place without the o-ring coming out of place...

Thanks...BCB

Yes there are different size collets...when RCBS sent me a "freebie" replacement bullet puller I managed to break after many years, they also sent along a couple different size collets. I have seen little "packs" of them in several different gun stores.

Lead Fred
03-29-2016, 12:37 PM
All I use, with straight walled cases they tend to fall into the puller. Using the shell holder stops that

Mk42gunner
03-29-2016, 03:23 PM
I've never really liked the inertia pullers, in fact the one I have came to me used and missing most of the collets. I have used shellholders with it and haven't had a problem; but I also haven't used it since I read about, and tried, using the press and a pair of pliers/ side cutters/ end nips to hold the projectile.

Robert

Cherokee
03-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Been doing it for years, thought everyone knew about it.

wrench man
03-29-2016, 11:13 PM
Guess I don't see the issue with the collets?, my puller came with three of them and they seem to fit everything.

Garyshome
03-29-2016, 11:29 PM
I use the Priming Tool Shell Holder Works pretty well.

wmitty
03-30-2016, 03:06 AM
Was using a shell holder in my first inertia puller and managed to break the tube in half right above the handle. The holder took off behind a shelf in the reloading room and I still haven't found it. Use the broken portion of tube along with handle to tap open the sprue plates when casting, so it wasn't a total loss; but I'm a little more gentle with number 2.

mdi
03-30-2016, 12:14 PM
I've always disliked trying to stretch the o-ring collet over a case, and ususally fumble with it for a while. My hammer puller came with three collets too, but it's too much hassle to use them so I've always used shell holders. But it's best to not need to pull any bullets, don't screw up yer ammo in the first place...:bigsmyl2:

BCB
03-30-2016, 01:38 PM
I use the Priming Tool Shell Holder Works pretty well.

Do you mean the Lee Priming Tool shellholder?...

That would be great if that is the case as I have to complete collection of them...

Thanks...BCB

Walter Laich
03-31-2016, 10:16 AM
I still use collets here.

totally agree on light wacks vs. heavy ones. First and only time I set off primer and some of the powder was a day I will always remember, kinda takes your breath away of a couple of secondss

zuke
04-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Work's great for me!

Cowboy_Dan
04-02-2016, 11:48 PM
It's been working vreat for me since I saw a video by the Ammosmith where he suggests doing it. Haven't buggered up any rims or set off any primers, but the shellholders are a nearly exact fit in mine. It's a combination of exact model and tollerances and I got lucky. I think mine is a Frankford Arsenal, but it could probably happen with many brands.

Andy
04-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Wanted to add to this thread the tip in the instructions to "let the hammer be loose in your hand after impact." For example you hold the hammer/puller tight fisted up until the instant it strikes the table then let it be very loose in your hand almost like you let go of it but are catching it again. On a crimped cartridge it nearly always comes loose in one or two instead of 3 strikes if I do this. I don't get why and I'm sure a physics teacher can tell me, but it really does work faster. I always thought it would work best gripped tightly but I have proven myself wrong many times now and the instructions are definitely right, as much as it pains me to say so.

The primer detonating possibility makes some sense given a unique set of circumstances being met. Could we avoid that possibility by just keeping the shell-holder opening on the user-side of the hammer, so swinging inertia keeps the case fully seated in the holder? Seems like that would do it, any experience to the contrary?