PDA

View Full Version : Wolf oil?

DLCTEX
03-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Anyone familiar with Wolf Oil? I just ordered some from a link on Facebook and it is supposed to be a cleaner and lubricant for guns. freewolfoil.com

rancher1913
03-27-2016, 10:11 PM
seem to remember that brand on the east coast, they did motor oils and fluids, must be branching out if its the same outfit.

wv109323
03-27-2016, 10:29 PM
The Wolf oil I know about was an oil company in the Pennsylvania oil fields. IIRC they were located in the Oil City/Franklin area. I thought they were long defunct. The gun oil may well be something entirely different.

TreeKiller
03-27-2016, 11:46 PM
The Wolf oil I know about was an oil company in the Pennsylvania oil fields. IIRC they were located in the Oil City/Franklin area. I thought they were long defunct. The gun oil may well be something entirely different.

That was or is Wolfs Head Oil. Used to be located up river along French Creek before you got to Franklin from Meadville. You had to drive through refinery and boy did it stink. Wolfs Head Oil was very good oil, gas was good also. This was in the 50s and 60s. (Yes i am old)

Screwbolts
03-28-2016, 08:09 AM
If the OP is referring to Wolfs Head oil, I just got another 4 gallon case Saturday to have on hand, I need to change the oil in my trusty, 1990 D350 with one of them 1st generation, 5.9 I6 Cumins diesels. I use it, I stand by it, and I always loved the art work they put on their containers of oil. Some of the very simplest of things are important.

Ken

Screwbolts
03-28-2016, 12:49 PM
OP, could you possibly provide a little more info on what you are calling "wolf oil". I now think you were referring not to Wolfs Head, but a different co. I did a simple, (it has to be simple for me) internet search and found this.

http://www.wolfpremiumoils.com/

Is this what you extensively searched and asked about? If so, I could not find anything, without the word premium on there label/name.

Ken

DLCTEX
03-28-2016, 05:08 PM
freewolfoil.com

odfairfaxsub
03-29-2016, 06:52 AM
Used wolf oil at a lawn mower shop. Black container w a wolfs head on the bottle. Worked good in my ranger when it needed to be topped off lol

Screwbolts
03-29-2016, 07:24 AM
Used wolf oil at a lawn mower shop. Black container w a wolfs head on the bottle. Worked good in my ranger when it needed to be topped off lol
Yes, this is exactly the oil co that I like and trust their products for use in my engines. I always thought they used great art work on their containers with a red wolfs head in a black background.

Ken

Lloyd Smale
03-29-2016, 07:36 AM
used to be pretty highly rated car oil. Havent seen it for quite a while though.

Screwbolts
03-29-2016, 07:41 AM
freewolfoil.com

Well I'll be, that there link does indeed open a web page of/for "WOLF PREMIUM OIL" Must be they decided to leave the word "PREMIUM" out of their web address so people do not have to type as many digits to get to their page, that must be a marketing thing. It also might be to ride on the coat tails of , https://www.wolfoil.com/en_com/ or https://www.wolflubes.com/EN_EU/ or http://www.wolfshead.com/ .

My personal favorite, not that it really matters is the Wolfshead oil, you see if it is good enough for my faithful old 5.9 Cumins, it is good enough for a drop on the bolt of My AR, IMHO, today the Wolfshead tademark is owned by Amalie.

Ken

Screwbolts
03-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Lloyd, IMHO, it still is a highly rated car oil. It was originally one of the oils made exclusively of Pennsylvanian Crude, It can still be gotten today in some markets, the product sold today is not from the original co, as stated in another post the Name/trademark is owned by Amalie oil co today, I believe it has been sold many times with both Shell and Pennzoil owning the name at different times. Not that it matters, but I also like the smell of Amalie synthetic TW3 2cyle engine lube in the exhaust of any of my many 2 cycle engines. Never had a problem with that either. just another small co.

Ken

DerekP Houston
03-29-2016, 08:39 AM
I was tempted, but $8 shipping for a 1oz bottle of some "mystery" cleaner is kinda pointless for me. I've still got plenty of the old standbys waiting to be used up and a gallon of mobil 1 in the garage.

DLCTEX
03-29-2016, 05:32 PM
I have two 1 oz. bottles coming. I will try it and report. May be the best since sliced bread.

chuckbuster
03-29-2016, 08:20 PM
I'll stick with GUNZILLA

Kevin

Screwbolts
03-30-2016, 07:43 AM
I'll stick with GUNZILLA

Kevin

That is Great Kevin!

DLCTEX,

I am looking forward to what you find out about that Wolf Premium oil. I agree It, "may be" the greatest thing. I am open to learning about it, and do really look forward to your findings and opinions of it. Thank you for looking into it.

Ken

DLCTEX
04-13-2016, 09:51 PM
I finally received my two free 1oz bottles today. I cleaned a 22-250 that had been put in the safe clean and the first patch came out black like it hadn't been cleaned. In four patches it was showing no black on the patch. I then cleaned a Ruger 77/22 Hornet that had been fired extensively with cast boolits and put away without cleaning as
I didn't want the poi to change. After six oiled patches I got a clean patch. I tested the poi and at 50 yds it was off by 1 1/2 inch. Four shots later it was back on target. As expected the clean barrel need a few fouling shots. I will try it in other guns when time permits and
I can get to my range up the road as the loud ones make my recent neighbors wife nervous. Doesn't seem to bother her when her husband shoots his rifles.

Geezer in NH
04-20-2016, 09:25 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?305184-Wolf-oil-ripoff