PDA

View Full Version : Shooting after heart attacks?

Duckiller
03-27-2016, 06:50 PM
I have had three heart attacks in the last 8 months. At least 3, maybe more because I didn't go to the ER with some chest pains. Dr. got excited and lectured me about that. August attack got me a stent about 2-3" long. Nov and Mar attacks after cauterization showed no blockage. Dr. have no definite reason of why for the last two attacks. The above is history . My question is when do I start shooting again? Have a .380 I haven't fired yet. Probably could shoot it soon. Then there is the M-1 Garand with FMJ loads, 45-70 with heavy Rolling block, light 1895 loads and a 338 Win Mag with lions, tigers and bears loads. The rifles need shooting but when am I safe to do so? Will see my family practice Dr. in a week and Cardilogist in 3-4 weeks. Am not going to get medical advice off the internet but what is the experience of other members? Thank you.

square butte
03-27-2016, 06:56 PM
Don't know about the shooting - But I am praying for you. I know some here will have good insight for you.

WILCO
03-27-2016, 07:15 PM
My best advice is to seek medical clearance from your doctor.
In the meantime, focus on healing and life in general.
Doesn't hurt to put one or two firearms on display while you relax at home.
Will keep you in prayer.
Best wishes and Happy Easter!

DLCTEX
03-27-2016, 07:23 PM
I didn't get any restrictions after an angioplasty in 1990, and two months after a bypass in August of 2010 I was told I could shoot a rifle come deer season. My brother was restricted from heavy lifting for three weeks each time. He now has 22 stents, so he knows the drill and has shot trap competitively after the three week period. I think shooting a 380 pistol would be an easy activity.

runfiverun
03-27-2016, 09:16 PM
the pistol should be fine.
I'd for sure stay away from the full copper loads.
heck I stay away from them now and I haven't had a stent or anything like that done.
I'd wait for the cardiologist visit just to heal up some before trying them.

hutch18414
03-27-2016, 09:30 PM
I have 4 stents and some of the arteries on the back side of my heart are partially blocked. The cardiologist said they would only work on them if absolutely had to. Too dangerous without it being a life threatening situation is what I was told. Second and third opinions said the same. After 6 weeks I was shooting .45 and 30-06 again. The only real concession I have had to make is limiting my rifle shooting to 200 yds and walking back and forth to the target much more leisurely. I keep thinking about a spotting scope but then the exercise is supposed to be good for me. Just take it kind of easy getting back into it and listen to what your body is telling you. And don't get all stressed out over your shooting, make sure it is relaxing and fun.

starreloader
03-27-2016, 10:30 PM
After my last heart attack, in March of '15, that resulted in a triple by-pass the cardiologist advised me to take it easy for 4 weeks... After the 4th week he said to do whatever I wanted to as long as it wasn't stressful or involved heavy lifting.. And shooting handguns is not heavy lifting, so I went back to shooting twice a week... Other than a couple of stents I've had no other problems, always waited a couple of days after the stents to start enjoying things again...

Hick
03-27-2016, 10:43 PM
If you are wanting to stay away from FMJ loads due to the recoil, you might want to try a light cast bullet load with FMJ. I use 10 grains of 700X under a 150 FMJ/BT in my Garand. This is essentially a load from the Lyman cast handbook adapted to the FMJ. This shoots very nicely and accurately with the Garand with no recoil. The drawback is that it will not cycle. You will have to pull back the op rod each time in order to reload. I get 1320 fps which works very nicely for 100 yard target shooting.

bedbugbilly
03-27-2016, 10:49 PM
Before doing much, especially with rifle, you need to talk with your cardiologist. I had a major heart attack twenty years ago. Following that I was confined to no activity until my triple by-pass a couple of weeks later. I have had two angioplasty procedures on the artery they didn't by-pass which basically became restricted again due to my physical make-up. No stents.

That said . . we are all arm chair quarterbacks on this as each person/case is different. Give yourself some time to heal - both physically and mentally. There are many things that go on when a person has heart problems. You may be healing but you also have the mental/emotional aspect. Depression is not uncommon. For me, it took two years after my by-pass before I began to not feel like each day was my last. We changed our way of eating, I exercise as much *** I can and I began to realize that a person should live each day to the fullest.

Once you cardiologist gives you the green light to go back to your normal things . . . enjoy them to the fullest. And, if there is something you really want to do . . . do it. Don't rush things until you are ready . . . you'll know better than anyone else how you feel but just check with your cardiologist since he is the one who is handling the issues you have.

I chuckled today as someone sent me a "pass along". It was "Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the more you use the less there is". It takes time to spring back from what you've gone through but it does teach a person a lot of valuable lessons. The material things in life don't matter a bit . . . it's about enjoying those you love, "smelling the roses" and allowing yourself to do some of the things you have always "put off". Those things are not being "selfish" . . . it's about taking what has happened, listening and making changes in your life and health for the better.

Our prayers are with you for a speedy recovery and we hope that all continues to go well for you. Listen to your body and don't "push it" or over do to prove how much you can do. After a cardiac episode, it takes time for you to get your strength and stamina back. Good luck to you duckiller.

buckwheatpaul
03-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Duckkiller, talk with your doctor and cardilogist...but be prepared to explain about recoil and other gun related issues.....I will bet you that they will advise against the heavy recoil weapons for a while....but you have my prayers......Paul

6bg6ga
03-28-2016, 07:47 AM
In 2000 I had a massive heart attack. I have 25% of my heart that is scar tissue. I own two stents which have clogged up once and have been roto rootered out. I have one blocked artery that they cannot get to. I was told I would never make it to retire. I'm still working and have two years left before the wife lets me retire at 65. I shoot and I enjoy it and have had no problems. If its going to happen then it will happen and there is absolutely no sense in worrying about it. I just make sure someone is there shooting with me just in case I would have a problem because someone has to collect the guns if they come to collect me. Live life the best you can and enjoy yourself. My .02

KAF
03-28-2016, 07:58 AM
The heart is a muscle, when sleeping it slows to get some rest, otherwise it is pumping all the time. The more you do the faster it works. Recoil will affect area that was opened up such as open heart surgery, the sturnem and outer muscles have to heal so as not to open back up. A stent is put in through a major artery in the groin most the time, it has to heal or it will bleed a bunch. I had what is called a Ablation last April, three places where they went in. groin both sides and neck. We did it then because I had a shoot coming up in 4 weeks or so, The Electro-cardiolist said no worries.

pcolapaddler
03-28-2016, 08:09 AM
I am two and half years out from bypass. After about 6 weeks, I was clearing brush and cutting logs with chain saw. I was given green light to go skeet shooting 2-3 months after.

w5pv
03-28-2016, 09:46 AM
There is a good number that get along fine after heart attacks,just be careful and do what the doctors say.Prayers that you stay healthy.

jhalcott
03-28-2016, 10:15 AM
I had a defibrillator implanted Feb 23. I was prepared to start shooting this week, 17hmr and 22 rim fire. Weather is not co operating . The cardiologist said he wanted the leads to get a solid footing in the heart before shaking them with recoil. I had a stent put in in Dec.. Next week I plan on using a .204 to kill a ground hog or two.

Tenbender
03-28-2016, 10:38 AM
I have had 2 heart surgery's and probably 7 heart attacks. I shoot what I want . If your strong enough for thy recoil go for it.
One bit if a warning. Don't be telling your doctor about your guns.

mtnman31 mentioned a pacemaker. I have one of them with a defib. Recoil won't hurt them but don't set a butt stock on top of it !

mtnman31
03-28-2016, 10:40 AM
After my Grandfather had his pacemaker installed, he limited his shooting to .22lr. A part of the pacemaker was sort of under the skin of his dominant side shoulder. He didn't want heavy recoiling near the device.
Best of luck and keep your health up.