PDA

View Full Version : Ruger American Predator and Cast Boolits.

marlin39a
03-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Rifle has a 1 in 8" twist. Anybody shooting cast boolits in theirs? Wondering about the Lee Bator. I figure my 225107 is too light. Any advise would be appreciated.

Outer Rondacker
03-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Well I have been shooting the Ranch with the same twist for a while now and it does not like light bullets. I had got a few bator boolits here from a member to try in my 22tcm. I didnt try them in my 223 as they have been lubed and I would perfer to try some powder coated ones. I have loaded some old jacked bullets I had sitting around in 45g 50g and my gun didnt like them at all. It was ok with 55g jacketed so I had on my wish list a heavy 223 mold. Wish list is going to be a while as money is tight.

marlin39a
04-24-2016, 03:06 PM
I have been shooting 40 Gr V-max in my Ranch with good results at 100 yds. 200 yds, the group opens up ok for Coyotes, but not for Jacks. I have a Lee bator molds that I think might work, but really think heavier would be better. Let me know your progress. Money tight all over my friend. This is not a cheap hobby.

Four Fingers of Death
04-28-2016, 06:59 AM
Not cheap, we're going broke saving money!

My American Compact shoots 52Gn Speer HPs like a house on fire. I have a new heavy 22 Group buy mould, that I can't find. That should work ok. I'm expecting that driven too fast the tight twist might trash the boolits. I won't know until I try I suppose. Must clean up the garage and find that mould (and a heap of other stuff that is missing!).

quilbilly
07-26-2016, 12:38 PM
I have been looking at the Compact American bolt action in 223 recently. How about an update? I am thinking of just shooting cast in it. The rifle just looks so handy and light weight. I don't require pinpoint accuracy - anything around 2 MOA would work fine in my travels.

Four Fingers of Death
07-26-2016, 06:35 PM
I still haven't found my mould, so I haven't tried cast boolits yet, but the American Compact in 223 is a brilliant little rifle.

52Gn Federal Premium Vital Shok (I think that is the name, it is an Australia only load) shoots 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100 and Aussie made factory ammo with Sierra 55Gn Spitzers a tad bigger groups.

Our range is 100 yards and I haven't tried longer ranges. I think it should go well with heavier bullets and boolits.

It is probably close to being my fav rifle, a little wand. The mag was a bit dicky at first, but someone here advised me to keep the plastic mag loaded for a week or so and it would be fine. It hasn't had a hiccup since.

I would really recommend this rifle as a nice walkabout rifle. Mine has a Leupold 2.8-8 VX2 scope, which matches the little rifle perfectly. It really punches above it's weight.

quilbilly
07-26-2016, 07:11 PM
Walkabout rifle is a great description. Those Lee Bators (old style) shoot well in my various T/C's at about 18-1900 but I would like to push them to 2100 if I decide to get that bolt action Ranch rifle in couple months.